Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Is Vietnam Airlines/Hanoi Horizon a Scam ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I wanted to purchase flights from Hanoi to HCMC prior to leaving the states. We went on vietnamairlines.com to purchase these flights, they were quoted as $175 for Business class and $94.65 for Economy. However the site did not work. We then called the US office of Vietnam Airlines (which is in San Fran) and was directed to calling Hanoi Horizon. The gentleman at HH quoted $400/Business and $200/Economy. We were shocked and called the SF office to clarify. The woman in the US office of Vietnam Airlines said this was incorrect and called HH herself. Minutes later, we get a call from HH telling us the rates are now $260/Business class or $145 for Economy. In less than 10 minutes his prices had dropped. He also told us he had to 'make a living.' So be aware folks.
Has anyone else had this problem ? Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we can purchase tickets for the Hanoi to HCMC flight on Vietnam Airlines ?
thanks so much in advance.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 06:38 PM

Use one of the VN agencies others have used, such as Tonkin Travel. In VN (as in many other places) agents charge what the market will bear. Often, if you quote them the price from the website, they will relent and give you that price. Nonetheless, after your experience with them, I'd opt for a different agency.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank You so much Kathie - I've been an avid reader of these forums and am truly thankful for everyone's advice and trip reports.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 10:09 AM

I am currently using Tonkin and their domestic rates are VERY competative i currently have optioned Han to SGN $82 each (and thats not the cheapest but i wanted the flexibility to be able to change the flight/date)
Tonkin have been reall good.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 10:43 AM

We used Tonkin travel to buy our tickets in advance. I could not get the website to work either.
Tonkin's rates were $72 per ticket Hanoi to Hue and DaNang to Saigon.
The cheapest tickets on VN airline's website was around $30 but Tonkin told me those were not available.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 11:23 AM

If you want a cheaper seat for around $55, try Jet Star Airline
http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/index.aspx