Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Is trip to Cameron Highlands from KL worth the trip? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/is-trip-to-cameron-highlands-from-kl-worth-the-trip-482333/)

StanKase Oct 25th, 2004 07:36 AM

Is trip to Cameron Highlands from KL worth the trip?

We are trying to find a driver-guide to take us on a 1 day trip from KL to the Cameron Highlands. We hoped to go on one route there and another on the return. We will be there in early April.
Is the scenery beatutiful along most of the trip worth going with stops to observe local villages?We would accept a 8-10 hour day if it is worth it.
Also, we are planning a 4-5 hour trip to the National Forest from KL. Is that also worth the time and money? We will be spending a day in KL on our own using the monorail. Feedback and suggested guides would help. Cuti travel did not want to quote a rate until January. We want to pin down our plans by Jan.1-we leave for Asia in late February. Thanks.

asykes1 Oct 25th, 2004 10:25 AM

hi - i used to live in kl. cameron highlands is beautiful but i would say it is too much of a trek for a one day trip from KL. there are plenty of adorable inns to stay in if you had time to do an overnight....it is fascinating to see how the climate, foliage and animals dramatically change when you get up into the mountains.

StanKase Oct 25th, 2004 11:35 AM

asykes1; How long a trip is it assuming normal traffic in some village area? Is the trip along the way beautiful and varied? Where else would you recommend as 1 day outings with a driver/guide (any recommendations?) that might compare and are closer? We want the beauty of the area and the people. We do not want tourist shows/trinket markets. We can do that in the night market in KL.Thanks.

BillT Oct 25th, 2004 11:41 AM

Note that Jim Thompson of Bangkok fame went to the Cameron Highlands and never returned- its a mystery to this day.

dlh Oct 25th, 2004 05:51 PM

Hi StanKase,

If I remember correctly, help me out here if I'm wrong someone, the trip to CH takes about four hours. Most of the trip is on the beautiful new highway (palm oil plantations, climbing hills, and more palm oil plantations) with the last hour spent on a very charming, twisty, winding, and climbing old colonial two lane road up to the highland (quite fun actually and a bit like a thrill ride in an amusement park!) with the terrain and weather changing from tropical to a more temperate environment. IMO CH is lovely but a bit cheesy (which can be fun, too. IMO I would give the tourist sight a miss with the exception of the BOS(SP) tea factory tour and hike through the jungle on the path (be prepared for a challenging hike w/o western safety precautions if you leave the basic path - there only seem to be two actual catagories of hikes here - easy stolls through basically a park and then challenging ones along slippery hill tracks). However, I agree that it is a bit much to go to the CH for a day trip and would reco an overnight if you really want to see CH. Also, I would not under any circumstances recom a drive to CH during a heavy downpour. The climbing road to the Highlands washes out almost every year and can be quite dangerous. So, IMO if you reach the road and it is pouring rain wait for the ground to dry. Also, I thought that they found out a few years ago that JT was hit by a car and buried in the Highlands by the man that hit him. And on that cheery note, have a terrific holiday :-)- you really will!