Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Is this possible? Flight from Krabi to BKK to home. Plus, feedback on Philippine Airlines, please

Is this possible? Flight from Krabi to BKK to home. Plus, feedback on Philippine Airlines, please

Old Feb 14th, 2005, 08:50 AM
alg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I have two questions and would love to hear your comments.

1) Currently, we can fly from San Francisco to BKK on Philippine Airlines for around $800. Seems like a great deal, but how is the airline?

2) On the return trip, we would like to fly Thai Air from Krabi, landing at 11:25 am in BKK, then depart on PAL to SFO at 1:55 pm. Is this possible or am I cutting it too close? Not sure what the "on-time" stats are for these airlines.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 09:01 AM

PAL is far from the best in service of the international airlines- have you checked out EVA Air? If $800 is the lowest among those that go to BKK then I suppose its worth it.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 09:35 AM

for me it would be too close...if it were on the same ariline it might be ok and since you seem never to have flown phil. airlines before, i would not chance it....you do not know their routines....

have you looked at united...they have been offering $645-695 for quite a while from the east coast too..
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 11:37 AM
alg
Original Poster

Thank you for the tip regarding EVA Air. While the flight times aren't as convenient, the price is great. I will also look at United. Perhaps I will rearrange our itinerary and visit Bangkok last since we will obviously have to fly home from there.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 12:08 PM

Check out EVA's Evergreen Deluxe Class- its almost like business but at a much lower price and on that long flight its worth it! We flew EVA Evergreen Deluxe last year to BKK and it was great! We are also flying EVA Evergreen Deluxe to Manila in 2 weeks- and you get Continental miles all the way!
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 11:19 PM

ALG:

What parameters are you using to judge the Airline. Is it their safety record, service, performance, aircraft age, in-flight & cockpit crew competency ? etc?

I have flown PAL only once to Tokyo. The timings were excellent but lost my luggage in transit in Manila.
(keep a good min 2 hrs transit for your bags). Otherwise pretty smooth & no complaints. The crew spoke good English and I ordered a special meal on the return leg to test its contents & also compare it with their normal in-flight meal. Both were fine but no great shakes. Found it to be better than NW or CO !!

Most Asian carriers have been involved in a crash or two & frankly I believe it is a pure chance if one gets caught in such unfortunate events. I am more scared flying AA or UA and as far as service is concerned, the Asian food & hospitality is virtually unbeatable.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 06:47 AM

If you follow all of the airline surveys done by numerous outfits like Conde'Nast and travel and leisure you will not find PAL making the grade. One experience does not constitute sufficient data to judge. A lot of PAL's business is by Phillipinos because I believe they get a better rate.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 08:05 AM
alg
Original Poster

I suppose I judge an airline based on passenger feedback whenever I lack personal experience. There are a couple of domestic carriers that I would not fly due to more than one bad experience. However, since I have never flown PAL, I was looking for some opinions about things like service, in-flight amenities, etc. Also, since we would have a pretty tight connection in BKK on the way home, I wanted to know how realistic it was.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 08:28 AM

alg-go to this website: www.airlinequality.com, then click on "airlines" then ranking, and then Phillipine-you'll see many, many detailed comments on all parts of their service-overall, their FC gets 4 out of 5 stars, business and economy get 3 stars. You can click on pax comments to actually read what they have to say.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 11:02 AM

If you can travel before April 15th, Cathay Airlines has a great deal from SFO or LAX for $622.81 (all taxes incld.) into BKK. I found it on travelzoo.com, but I believe you can go directly to Cathay's website.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 07:43 AM
alg
Original Poster

That is a great deal and I would definitely be happy flying Cathay, but we are going at the end of November.

I think it might be a little too early to commit to tickets at this point...I'll continue to watch the prices and see what happens