Is the Songkran Festival worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2015, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to travel to Thailand in early to mid April and had initially planned to start out my trip in Bangkok and work my way south towards the islands. While beginning to plan my trip I found out that the Songkran Water Festival is taking place towards the end of my trip. I had initially planned to be south during April 13-15 but am considering changing directions of my trip (starting south and ending up in Bangkok) in order to experience the festival in Bangkok. I was wondering if the festival is worth the trouble of re-scheduling and re-planning everything? Could I experience the festival just as well in the southern Islands like Phi Phi or Phuket? I would love to experience an authentic festival but is it really authentic and meaningful to experience? I would also love to experience the city of Bangkok but am afraid it will be overly crowded during the time of the festival that it may impact my time spent touring the temples and floating markets/street markets? I would really appreciate any recommendations! Thanks!
Old Dec 1st, 2015, 05:47 AM

April is absolutely the hottest time of the year. Can you go at a different time?
Old Dec 1st, 2015, 07:30 AM

Is songkran worth it? No, not really. Unless of course you like being soaked with water every 5 mins!
Old Dec 1st, 2015, 11:17 PM

I agree with Crellston. I have no interest in getting soaked at every turn. A family member loves it and tries to attend every year. He attends with Thai and expat friends.

Katie is right about April being hot. But April is when Songkran takes place!

You can experience the festival throughout Thailand. Which area is most "authentic?" Probably the small country towns! But we visitors don't usually go there.