Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Is the fish paste farm worth a visit? silk farm? Rolous Group? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/is-the-fish-paste-farm-worth-a-visit-silk-farm-rolous-group-849671/)

bostontravel Jul 14th, 2010 07:47 PM

Is the fish paste farm worth a visit? silk farm? Rolous Group?

Hi there - Debating on an excursion outside the city and wondering if these sites are really that great. It is a little costlier because of the distance.

rhkkmk Jul 14th, 2010 07:50 PM

i can say that almost any excursion is worth the effort and $$ if you find it interesting, but what you and i might find interesting could differ greatly....

time would seem to me to be the overriding issue for most of us....do i have time for it.....

btw, while travelling to and from any of these sites you may see something far more interesting than your intended visit....its always a gamble...

NoFlyZone Jul 15th, 2010 05:32 AM

I would love to go see how they grow fish paste.

Kathie Jul 15th, 2010 06:01 AM

We enjoyed the Rolous Group. We would not have been interested in the others. Do plan for Banteay Srei - it's really special.

DJCat Jul 15th, 2010 01:23 PM

I too enjoyed the Rolous Group, but saw it on the way to other temples (I think when I did Kabal Spean and Banteay Srei). I found the silk farm quite facinating and a nice change from doing temples.

visitcambodia Jul 17th, 2010 03:31 PM

Fish Paste farm, silk farm and Rolous Group are staying separate from each other, it is depending on your taste. A general knowledge of making thing or ruins.
Fish paste farm is located at the south part of city smell not nice because all dead fish are joining and squishing each other in a huge area. If you decide to see this you can combine trip to Tonle Sap Lake and see where they catch them.
Rolous Group is a nice place to visit and explore in the early part of Angkor Empire and it is inside the Angkor park so you can used Angkor wat pass to visit it. Which other two places are providing free entry.

marmot Jul 17th, 2010 08:19 PM

Didn't make it to the Rolous Group. I would also put Banteay Srei on the must-see list. Go early, though, before the tour buses show up. Beng Mealea was recommended to us for a far-away deserted site, but time just ran out.

If you've never seen the silk making process (from worm to fabric) it's wortha visit.

A fish paste farm would be, to me, akin to the inner circle of hell. :)

Brewsters_mom Jul 27th, 2010 04:57 PM

I found the silk farm to be fascinating and definitely worthwhile to see the whole process. I really had no idea how much work was involved. I would also recommend Banteay Srei, which was just beautiful.

silverwool Jul 28th, 2010 12:25 AM

I'd recommend the Rolous group and the silk farm. The former is on the road to Phnom Penh/Beng Mealea. However Banteay Srei is a must.

Beng Mealea is not under the same ticketing system as Angkor Wat. $5 entry, guides are available to help you find your way round. Its up to you what you pay them. Probably worth it if only to help you clamber round.

While Ta Phrom is semi returning to nature, Beng Mealea is the real deal. Re the silk farm Artisan's d'Angkor run a free mini bus from their Siem Reap workshop. It cost me more than anticipated because I ended up buying a rather nice silk shirt there!

Fish paste smells foul! Its up to you.

LAleslie Jul 28th, 2010 04:01 PM

<i> Is the fish paste farm worth a visit? </i>

This may be my favorite Fodor's headline of all time.

Nutella Jul 28th, 2010 05:07 PM

Yes, serious question, what exactly is a fish paste farm? What does the tourist experience during the visit?

Kathie Jul 28th, 2010 06:05 PM

It's a place where they make fish paste by fermenting fish. The tourist experiences the unforgettable smell of fermenting fish.

Nutella Jul 31st, 2010 07:46 AM

LOL Kathie. I was somehow hoping for a Disney-esque tram ride through a sanitized display about fish farming. But I guess not!