Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Is the DRESS CODE the same in Singapore, KL and Thailand?

Nov 19th, 2004, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Hi all: Thanks to all the good advice from the experts on this forum I have a notebook full of information...now the hard part..packing. Sharon has given me wonderful advice on packing for Thailand. Would the clothing be the same for KL and Singapore in January. What would one where to the hotel restaurants recommended here ie Raffles hotel? Also, someone on this forum said not to where bright colors? I live in FL and we like bright colors. So take all black/beige? No white? Thanks for all the help. Johanna
Nov 19th, 2004, 01:04 PM

Having lived in Asia for almost 20 yrs. _5 in Singapore- here are my suggestions: Of the three places you named, Singapore is the most Western. Bright colors are fine there but remember that it is a city so you don't see many people walking around in shorts except at the resorts. Raffles has several restaurants so the dress may vary. Usually "smart, casual" will be sufficient. KL is primarily Muslim so definitely no shorts there or nothing sleeveless. Conservative is best. Do not wear short shorts or sleeveless shirts when visiting any temple in Thailand otherwise Florida dress is fine. Just a tip on eating in Singapore- don't miss the outdoor food stands like Newton Circus or near the quay- they are perfectly safe and really yummy!
Nov 19th, 2004, 06:22 PM

clothes cause such a problem on this forum as we all have different advice...here's mine..

all places you name are basically the same...

bring only natural fibre stuff: cottons, linen etc...poly is too hot in our opinion...

loose fitting things are best...

my wife wears mens boxer shorts under her dress, etc some days to prevent chaffing...

you see plenty of bright colors, but not much black really...the lighter the color the more cool you will be...the sun is much hotter than fla and the humidity is far worse...

sandles are fine and my wife usually brings a dressy pair of shoes (flats) for evenings...skirts, blouses, slacks are her basics....

men: i wear chinos most of the time and sometimes some lite weight cambray jeans during the day....walking shoes...never sneakers---far too hot...sandles...sport shirts and polo shirts are fine ....

we also bring at least one long sleeve cotton shirt for times we are out in the sun like on a boat...

a hat for each of you---cotton--lite weight...sun glasses of course...

laundry service is very cheap and plentiful so don't pack too much...

my wife takes a shawl or large scarf which is good in a/c sometimes and over shoulders when going into a restricted clothing place like a wat or temple...

mostly my wife takes cap sleeve or short sleeve things for touring and a few sleeveless for hotels and evenings...

she sometimes takes flowing dresses that hang from the shoulders loosly and finds them very cool for touring and decent for entering an unexpected restaurant or the oriental or some nice place....cotton bras always and undies---only cotton

have fun and don't sweat the clothes as you can and will buy tons of stuff there...
Nov 22nd, 2004, 01:01 AM

johanna, I'd agree with most of the recommendations you've received, stick to cotton and linen, loose fitting is best. Crinkly fabrics are ideal.

I personally wear a lot of black, white and neutrals, just because it's easier to mix and match. I don't think there's any prohibition against wearing bright colors. A bright T-shirt and white pants sounds great to me.

I'd also add that especially for Singapore you should bring a shawl or light weight sweater as the aircon can get positively arctic! I find silk sweater sets perfect for smart casual.

Sandals are fine everywhere but especially in Thailand where you will be visiting temples avoid shoes with ties and buckles or you will be forever undoing them and doing them up. I like mules.

No shorts in any Asian cities, for men or women. Culottes and capri pants are fine.
Nov 22nd, 2004, 06:58 AM

I have worn the same clothes in all of the three abovementioned places. I never wear shorts period so they are not an issue. I pack linen skirts and tops...I personally prefer Eileen Fisher linens.The quality is tops and they hold up quite well. Those I wear in the hotel restaurants... for when I'm going to dinner etc. Then on the streets I wear hardcore, Ex-Officio clothes...like travel fiber skirts and Baja-Plus travel shirts with lots of pockets...or a sarong with a travel skirt. I can usually get an entire wardrobe...for a three-week trip into one 21-inch suitcase. Don't stress out over clothing. Plus you can always buy some clothes there. Happy Travels!
Nov 22nd, 2004, 07:52 AM

orgy7, tell me again what is "smart casual"?
Nov 22nd, 2004, 11:43 AM

I meant to type..." a sarong with a travel SHIRT...not SKIRT" in my above post...sorry...Happy Travels!
Dec 11th, 2004, 03:31 AM

I notice a few persons mentioning "no shorts" in Asia/KL.

As a resident of KL I can tell you that the locals wear shorts frequently. It all depends on the occasion. We wear shorts for casual purposes (eating at the stalls, strolling at the mall or the streets). Pants are smarter of course and would be appropriate when dining at a restaurant or where "smart casual" is called for.
Dec 11th, 2004, 03:34 AM

In general "smart casual" means pants with a collared shirt (can be either short or long sleeved).
Dec 11th, 2004, 06:55 AM

PLEASE!!!! shorts are worn all the time in all the conties, even by the rich and shameless just make sure the brand says Armani. some nightclubs and resterounts are the only places that wil give ya a hasle with the pants/shorts isuue other then that SHORTs are fine or would you rather be that sweaty stinky pig of a farang who has a nice pair of slacks
Dec 11th, 2004, 02:00 PM

Do a search on this forum for "smart casual" and you'll get a recent thread that tells all.

Dec 11th, 2004, 06:02 PM

That remark was totally insensitive to those who might be a sweaty stinky pig of a farang even when wearing shorts.

Socks in sandals are ok IF you are wearing long pants, right?