Reload this Page >

Is South Korea worth going to?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 10:25 AM
Ben

I found a deal to go on a trip to Seoul, Inchon, and Kyongju. <BR> <BR>Are these places really worth going to? <BR> <BR>Thank you.

Old Aug 15th, 2000, 06:51 AM
Joanne

Ben, I guess one man's poison is another man's pleasure! I'm going to South Korea in early September and do believe, indeed, that it is "worth" going to for several reasons. The current politics, alone, make Korea a fascinating place today. The two Koreas are at a political crossroads which will likely result in reunification within a couple of years. The family exchange is taking place as we speak, the two Kims have met, all sorts of diplomatic posturing is occuring. This is politically a very exciting time. It's rather like being in Berlin before the wall came down. Yet, you can take a tour into the demilitarized zone just north of Seoul where, I understand, the guns are drawn and the Korean War is very much alive. And, ironically, in Seoul, you are an hour away from the country that allegedly represents the greatest nuclear threat to the world, that is the justification for the proposed Star Wars project. <BR> <BR>Korea is a country with a unique blend of Confucianism, Buddhism, and Christianity. Korea has great marketplaces selling gingeng, herbs, and celadon pottery. There are temples and palaces. Hangul, the Korean language, is incredibly intuitive. Seoul is a huge safe modern city. <BR> <BR>And if you're a martial artist, as I am, you can visit the World Taekwondo Federation headquarters, and observe how the Koreans train. <BR> <BR>Fall is supposed to be beautiful. Post a note if you decide to go, and look for my trip report after the middle of September.

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 07:47 AM
Stuart Eaton

I'm going to see my brother who is stationed there in October. Having a very hard time finding info (NO FODORs info!?!?). Any suggestions for info sources? <BR> <BR>Everyone I talk to that has been there has nothing but great things to say; cheap, great food, nice people. Out of Seoul nobody speaks English though. And haven't had any recommendations for hotel, restaurants, cities/sites, etc... Any help??

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 04:24 AM
Marie

I live in Seoul and have been here for 10 months what do you want to know? I will give you my address you can look me up when you get here. Shopping is great. If you like the Asia food you may like it here but I am not real crazy about it but some of it is really good.

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 12:28 AM
Louise

Hey Ben -- <BR> <BR>I recently spent a month in S. Korea and loved it. I was working in Seoul and spent a weekend on Cheju Island and in Kyongju. <BR> <BR>Cheju was disappointing but that primarily is due to the weather. A train trip to Kyongju for a couple days is a good trip. Seoul is wonderful. Keep in mind, traffic is horrific and getting around is time-consuming. So, stay downtown -- probably on the north side of the river. The north side is where the shopping markets are. The south side has its good points but most likely isn't where you will spend the majority of your time. <BR> <BR>I definitely would take a bus tour to the DMZ (you only can go to the military post -- not into the DMZ itself). <BR> <BR>Karaoke bars are very popular and a lot of fun if you can meet some locals to take you. <BR> <BR>The best thing about Korea is the Koreans. They are so friendly and respectful. <BR> <BR>I borrowed a Lonely Planet travel guide and was very disappointed. Try something else. <BR> <BR>The last piece of advice -- Korean food is very spicey. Be prepared. In addition, take along a phrase book because the language barrier can be difficult. This especially is important for ordering food. <BR> <BR>Enjoy...

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 07:39 AM
Joanne

I am the Joanne who posted above that I was going to Seoul. Well I'm back, and I have to say that I had the time of my life. I've traveled extensively, so I have some point of comparison. Koreans are, by far, the kindest and most helpful people I have ever met. I was invited into homes for dinner, people stopped on the street and helped me with directions, and would strike up conversations in restaurants and elsewhere. I was given gifts. They are intelligent, and lacking in any cynism whatsoever! What a treat. The city itself is beautiful as are the palaces. The subway is incredibly easy for transportation. Food is fantastic. Shopping in the marketplaces is wonderful. I bought Buddhist antiques, carved stone name chops (stamps), artwork, ginseng, leather stuff, silks. The trip to the DMZ is fascinating. <BR> <BR>I emailed my friends and family in a series of three trip reports along with pictures. If anyone would like copies, email me at [email protected] <BR> <BR>