Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Is Prime Minister's Likely Removing Himself from Office Causung Disruption for Tourists?

Is Prime Minister's Likely Removing Himself from Office Causung Disruption for Tourists?

Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 02:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Bangkok, Chiangi and Koh Samui in mid-April to early May.
Is the possible "change in Prime Miniuster", from what I read peaceful demonstrations snarling transportation or access to temples. markets, etc for tourists in ANY WAY??
Thanks.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 02:16 AM

if I didn't watch TV I would not have known anything was going on. most of the demonstrations take place in one park next to the grand palace.

Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 03:42 AM

I was in Thailand when an attempted coup took place over five days. The effect was nil as Thais seem to take these incidents as normal.
A hint is that if the King does not express his approval there is no chance of it lasting long.
Keep away however from political and military locations - just in case!
Bob Wallace
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 05:18 AM

Stan,

From April 2nd onward there could be an escalation in the demonstration since a one sided election will be held then. The only place affected will be Bangkok while Koh Samui(don't know where "Chiangi" is) will not be affected at all.

If the situation last until then I would stay away from the following area(I've posted this before but some how it got erased!):

1/. Government House, not really a tourist attraction anyways.

2/. Sanam Luang, the open field next to the Grand Palace.

3/. Singapore Embassy.

4/. All the ministry buildings.

Recently there has been demonstration around Silom road as well so if you do see people demonstrating I would try and move away!

Old Mar 25th, 2006, 11:13 PM

oops have been proven wrong as usual today I went to siam square and there was a big anti toksin demonstration going on. after I went to jim thompson house I took the bts to Emporium mall. when I arrived there it seems the demonstrators marched all the way down to Emporium mall. (many took the BTS). Emporium mall was closed and guards blocked the entrance.

there is supposed to be an all night deminstation at siam perigon on
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 11:15 PM

the 29 of march.

Old Mar 26th, 2006, 04:14 AM

Wow, orgy7, sounds like things are escalating. Friends are in BKK right now, but have not reported on any problems. Son is coming over in about 1 1/2 weeks. Please keep us posted on what is going on. So sorry to hear about the disruption at Siam!!
Carol

(btw, our old meeting place is no more... the Brunswick is gone)
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 04:26 PM

Aaargggghhh.. We are supposed to arrive in Bangkok Saturday, April 1. We only have two days and planned on visiting the Grand Palace and temples on Sunday which, of course, is election day.

We are in Phuket now but no one here seems to know much.

If anyone has any further information or advice, please reply!

Thanks,
Deb
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 05:08 PM

Deb,

Siam Paragon and a few other malls have decided to close from today, 29th until the 30th since there are plans for several mass protest outside of their properties.

The police have threaten to arrest any protesters who block or slow down traffic which, IMO, could cause even more problem(if they start arresting people).

The election is "schedule" for the 2nd April but that will not stop the problem.

The Grand Palace should be fine as well as the weekend market during the election weekend. FYI no alcohol are allowed to be served during the election day.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 05:10 PM

JUst play it by ear once you get to Bangkok. There will be plenty of info in newspapers and at your hotel about where and when the demonstrations will be. Just avoid those areas. The Grand Palace/Temple of the Emerald Buddha/Wat Po complexes are likely to be fine to visit. And since you can take the water taxi there and back from the Royal Orchid, you won't have to deal with snarled traffic.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 06:28 PM

the election is next week so things should quiet down after that
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 07:05 PM

I beg to differ on your assessment that things will quiet down after the election. This is a "snap" election instigated by the current prime minister after several cases of corruption were exposed by the media and the opposition. There is only one major party running in this election and that is the prime minister's party with no opposition(every other major political party have boycotted the election).

I don't really want to discuss politics here but trust me when I say that with the latest development things will NOT quiet down after the snap election on April 2nd.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 07:31 PM

there are actually 3 sets of protesteres

1. Anti Toksin
2. Pro Toksin
3. Anti protest protesters. yep these people wear green and march around demonstrating against demonstrations. you got to love that.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 06:20 PM

Any new info on this? I leave in a week.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 10:16 PM

No problem here at all.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 12:24 AM

koala,

There's a big protest plan for May 2nd in Bangkok. Don't know yet where about in Bangkok it will be held.