Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Is no one traveling to China anymore? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/is-no-one-traveling-to-china-anymore-1718761/)

travelerwife Nov 22nd, 2023 01:47 PM

Is no one traveling to China anymore?

We have a 2024 cruise planned that does end in Tianjin and offers a couple excursions to the Great Wall and Forbidden City. I am quite shocked that in perusing the forums that there are no posts prior to 2020! Obviously there would have been a big drop off for a couple years, but has no travel been resumed? I already figured that we would only "extend" with organized tours rather than traveling on our own as we normally would, but are there any China Tour companies, or any China travel at all, that anyone has lately experienced?

shelemm Nov 22nd, 2023 05:31 PM

According to news reports, travel opened back up only in April, and there has been a lack of flights. Not sure what the situation is at the moment, but I think it will take some time.

thursdaysd Nov 23rd, 2023 07:59 AM

I don't think the flight situation is back to normal yet. However, although I visited China three times some years ago, I have NO plans to revisit at this time. I object to the government's treatment of the Uighurs. I also object to government surveillance. See, for instance, https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsl...d-surveillance Also, it used to be that you could go pretty much where you wanted (aside from Tibet) without reservations, but now you have to have hotel reservations to get a visa.

HappyTrvlr Nov 25th, 2023 11:41 AM

We had to show our hotel reservation to get a visa many years ago. We only gave them the first hotel’s name. I am glad we traveled to China three times to different regions. I have no desire to return and wonder what has happened to our wonderful Uighur guide.

shelemm Nov 26th, 2023 06:34 PM

Me too, had to only give them the address for where we were staying for our flight into Beijing. Did not have to disclose other places.

thursdaysd Nov 26th, 2023 07:05 PM

From what I have read online you now need to list all hotels. I haven't checked the actual application form.

CanadaChinaTraveller Dec 5th, 2023 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by thursdaysd (Post 17513202)
From what I have read online you now need to list all hotels. I haven't checked the actual application form.

It has always been this way (although requirements vary depending on your passport). By always I mean the last 15 years. Just need to book a refundable hotel in Beijing for the whole trip which you cancel after printing the bookings. Once you get the visa you go wherever you want (except Tibet).
Tourism is slowly picking up as more flights are added (and fares start to come down). nowhere near the pre-covid levels though.

tournepal Dec 6th, 2023 01:34 AM

I am traveling to China on April 2024 !

fufu7755 Feb 27th, 2024 04:10 PM

My sincere advice is that the number of domestic tourists in China has exploded after the epidemic. If you want to travel to China, please avoid Chinese holidays such as the Spring Festival, October and May.

jacketwatch Feb 28th, 2024 02:38 PM

OP: I did a TR from our journey there is 2018 and sent it to you via a PM.

Larry

HappyTrvlr Feb 29th, 2024 10:58 AM

This thread encouraged me to reread my trip report for my first trip to China in 2001. I went to China two more times and am so glad that I did. I couldn’t believe many of the descriptions of China from that first trip. My last trip there was in 2016, so many changes, many from the Olympic preparations for 2008 games in Beijing.
I wish I could feel comfortable traveling there again.

CanadaChinaTraveller Apr 11th, 2024 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr (Post 17539883)
This thread encouraged me to reread my trip report for my first trip to China in 2001. I went to China two more times and am so glad that I did. I couldn’t believe many of the descriptions of China from that first trip. My last trip there was in 2016, so many changes, many from the Olympic preparations for 2008 games in Beijing.
I wish I could feel comfortable traveling there again.

2016? This is like a century ago!!! A lot has changed again.