Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   IS KHAJURAHO WORTH SEEING IF LIMITED TIME? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/is-khajuraho-worth-seeing-if-limited-time-886485/)

JackGlasser Apr 13th, 2011 11:23 AM

IS KHAJURAHO WORTH SEEING IF LIMITED TIME?

PLAN TO SEE INDIA WITH FAMILY FOR POSSIBLY 12 NITES (14 DAYS BACK AND FORTH FROM USA) CITIES PLANNING TO SEE BOMBAY UDAIPUR DEHLI JAIPUR AGRA VARANASI AND KHAJURAHO THINKING REALLY OF DROPPING KHAJURAHO AND SPENDING TIME IN VARANASI FOR EARLY MORNING AND TWLIGHT AT THE GANGES. I HAD DIFFERENT OPINIONS. SOME THOUGHTS REGARDING WHICH PLACES TO DROP. IS THE 'SOUND AND LIGHT SHOW' UNIMPRESSIVE ALSO AT KHAJURAHO THANKS

Kathie Apr 13th, 2011 01:23 PM

Jack, in my book, it's all worth seeing. That isn't the question. It's a matter of priorities. If it is a priority to you to have a trip where you get a chance to see and experience a bit of India rather than just getting from one place to another, you need to cut at least one and probably two destinations. You have 12 nights, even 5 stops is pushing it. If it were me - and it isn't - I'd cut at least Khajuraho and Mumbai (Bombay).

dogster Apr 13th, 2011 04:42 PM

Heya Jack - still got that caps lock on, I see. I get the feelin you're not hearing us. India ain't easy - unless you spend big bucks. Just tell us, pal, how you are plannin to travel? With a tour? I suspect not. Are you plannin to go thru a local T.A.? fly? Drive? Do you know about how to find a reliable driver?

Of course, if you want, you can probably go thru a different place every day - but you'll die in the attempt. Are you planning to stay in the Oberoi's? Taj's? bed & breakast places? Heritage hotels? Do you just want to check off a list of the ten things to see in India and leave? Or do you want to actually expose yourself to a bit of the local culture? If you zoom thru, you'll SEE but that's all. Maybe that's enough or you. Me? Nah.

I think the answers to most of these questions are... I dunno.

That's cool. That's normal. But first, let's help you find some company or individual to help you - if that's what you want? Arranging it on your own will be nightmarish - not because it is, but because you have NO idea what you're going in to. Don't even try, pal.

BUT it's a great idea - don't get worried, we'll get you thru. You'll go back, Jack, once you've had a sniff. for a first visit, if you can afford it, go upmarket. If you want to zoom in comfort, [and that's O.K.] think about luxury trains. So easy. Expensive - but you WILL see everything.

So Jack, help us a bit. Readin between the lines of your questions is difficult. A bit more info, eh?

thursdaysd Apr 13th, 2011 09:21 PM

Yes, still yelling, which is painful - are you typing on a Commodore? - but glad to see you've increased the time, although seven cities in 12 nights is still too much. Have you looked at what there is to see, and how long it actually takes to get from one place to another?

But to answer your specific question, probably not. Take a look at some pictures and then decide. There's nothing there but the temples, a lot of pushy sellers and loads of tourists. Although I did find some very quiet countryside a little out of town.

And everything dogster said...

ekscrunchy Apr 14th, 2011 03:16 AM

No. Your time is too limited.

Nelson Apr 14th, 2011 05:32 AM

My $0.02: A long time ago my wife and I saw visited all the places you mention, except drop Varanasi and add Jodhphur, Mount Abu and Ajanta. We took one internal flight but mostly traveled by train / bus. It took 6 weeks.

We thought Khajuraho a jewel and a highlight, but so much else also fit that bill you won't be shortchanged by skipping it.

If I were you I'd stay in the Delhi, Agra, Jaipur triangle and maybe extend out farther into Rajahstan for a couple of days, dropping everything else. That will easily fill your time and brain.

JackGlasser Apr 15th, 2011 02:27 AM

we will be 4 to5 people my friend has recommended a company where the son runs the usa operation father runs the new dehlo office he and others have been very happy with him. My friend has traveled everywhere freq on own. Unfortunately my daughter can onlyget off at xmas. Definetely thinking of dropping khuar, and probably one of the cities in the golden triangle maybe udipur: hence bombay (wife wants this) varanasi, new dehli agra and prob jaipur Hence to have time to get more of a sense of the country. Hopefully 5star hotels more for safety. Travel mostly by pvt car suspect train and plane for some. I know the fog will be a terrible problem as well as the xmas supplements Would really want to travel with my adult daughters. We have a good time doing it together rather than with larger numbers. Problem now the cost may get too out of hand. Must see how much time my d's principal will allow for a few additional days.

ekscrunchy Apr 15th, 2011 02:50 AM

Drop Bombay.

Why does your wife want to spend time there? If this is her first trip to India, or even if it is her third, I suspect that she will be overwhelmed by that city, especially if you plan to make it your first stop.

"5-star hotels for safety?" What does that mean?

JackGlasser Apr 15th, 2011 04:32 AM

FOR WANDERING AROUND. TO AVOID WANDERING IN THE 'WRONG AREAS' I ALSO HEAR THE CROWDS SURGE IN THE RAILROAD STATIONS. MY WIFE IS QUITE PERSISTENT. I DO THINK FEWER PLACES IS OK. DO NOT THINK I CAN CONVINCE MY WIFE TO DROP BOMBAY

thursdaysd Apr 15th, 2011 05:44 AM

WILL YOU STOP SHOUTING!

lcuy Apr 15th, 2011 10:16 AM

I"M SURPRISED THAT ANYONE HAS BOTHERED TO READ YOUR POSTS, MUCH LESS ANSWER YOU...

USING ALL CAPS IS CONDSIDERED VERY RUDE ON THE INTERNET, AND NOT PUTTING IN PARAGRAPH BREAKS IS ALSO VERY HARD ON THE EYES.

ONE THING TO THINK ABOUT...IF YOU WANTED TO ROB OR TERRORIZES SOMEONE, WOULD YOU GO OUTSIDE A $3 A NIGHT DUMP OR A 5-STAR HOTEL FULL OF RICH TOURISTS AND BUSINESS TRAVELERS? >:-)

JackGlasser Apr 16th, 2011 05:44 AM

I am sorry. The computer I am using for these messages is the one in my office which my wife leaves on cap lock. I usually do not unlock so she does not get mad at me. I did not realize that caps meant shouting or rudness. Until you expained it, I had no idea what thursdaysd was talking about. I am now better educated

JackGlasser Apr 16th, 2011 05:44 AM

I am sorry. The computer I am using for these messages is the one in my office which my wife leaves on cap lock. I usually do not unlock so she does not get mad at me. I did not realize that caps meant shouting or rudness. Until you expained it, I had no idea what thursdaysd was talking about. I am now better educated

Jaya Apr 16th, 2011 10:07 AM

If your friend has already recommended a company, is that a tour company? What do they suggest for you to do?

indianapearl Apr 16th, 2011 03:05 PM

You don't say how you will travel from one place to another. If you look at a map, you will see that Mumbai/Bombay is quite far away from the other locations you plan to visit.

Air travel in India is quite comfortable, but we found that one has to fly either north/south or east/west, seldom found a direct flight except from Khajurahao to Delhi. The plane was supposed to leave at about 2:00 p.m., but was delayed and didn't leave until 4:00. Stooged around in the airport for two hours . . .

Varanasi is the easternmost destination in the proposed itinerary. It's at the other extreme from Mumbai.

So how are you going to get from one place to another? I would look at a map with your family and send some e-mails back and forth. Road travel in India is very interesting, but difficult. It will take you a lot longer to get to your destination than you might imagine. I'd start thinking of ways to streamline your itinerary and make some decisions about modes of transport.

Another question: have you checked the travel agents' company on T.A.?

If you've never been to a developing country before, it can be quite a jolt. Someone I met at a party before we went to India in 2009 recommended looking at film clips on YouTube which I did. You might find it helpful.

JackGlasser Apr 19th, 2011 04:30 AM

thanks. Am trying to streamline: omit udipur and khajueho. There are nonstop flights from varanasi-mumbai. The travel agency has been highly recommended by a friend who is a super-well seasoned traveler ( who has persistantly been o target in the past). Other individuals he has sent to them have been super content. I am asking them to look at my requests and try to streamline them. Yes, I know the issues you bring up and that india is quite difficult to travel within.