Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Is it me or does the Search function on Fodors not work right? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/is-it-me-or-does-the-search-function-on-fodors-not-work-right-817467/)

filmwill Dec 12th, 2009 08:30 AM

Is it me or does the Search function on Fodors not work right?

I haven't really used this a lot lately--or maybe I just haven't noticed until now--but what on earth is going on with the 'Search the Forums' functionality on Fodors??

It seems like, since the new layout, the search results are either severely limited, old or just not accurate/representative of the content created on these forums.

I've done multiple searches this week for subjects (restaurants, hotels, etc) to help create an itinerary for my friends going to Bangkok in a month and I can't find posts I know were created on here all but a few months ago.

Perfect example: I wanted to find the post (I've since found by searching for other keywords) from a week or two ago when Kathie mentioned the correct website of AAC limo (@ Bangkok Airport)...so I search for 'AAC limo' in the search box.

I got 1 result back from 2005!!!

Now I know they've been mentioned on at least 50 or more posts over the years, so what gives Fodors? Anyone have the same experience?

Gpanda Dec 12th, 2009 08:48 AM

FW-yes, I've had the same experience. I'll use the search engine and it will not provide threads that I know should have come up. I have no idea what the internal sorting method is, but it certainly excludes threads that fall within the parameters of the search.

Kathie Dec 12th, 2009 09:14 AM

Yes, I was search for something the other day and nothing recent would come up. So it's not you - there is something wrong with the search function.

www.aaclimousine.com
email: [email protected]

filmwill Dec 12th, 2009 09:40 AM

Phew--thought I was doing something wrong there.

Hopefully our good friend Katie can let us know what's going on...?

Craig Dec 12th, 2009 12:04 PM

The standard search only searches titles and that may be your problem. Click on "Advanced search" and then check off "Search full topic and replies". Now you'll bring up all of the threads you are looking for. I have never had a problem searching once I did this.

I do not know why that is not the default - maybe Katie can chime in on Monday.

rhkkmk Dec 12th, 2009 01:45 PM

i agree i find it almost useless... we were told it was much improved but i cannot see that at all...

even when i have the exact title i can't find things.... searching by op's name usually yields more results, but not always

Katie_H Dec 12th, 2009 08:23 PM

The "basic" search only searches topic titles--this was made the default I believe due to repeat performance problems that we were able to connect to searches being done. Basically the numerous calls to the database were crashing the site or were a large culprit behind those crashes.

Craig's post regarding the advanced search is right on; you really need to click "view full topics and replies" in order to see anything not in a topic title. It really doesn't miss anything (which the search in the old format did) if you know exactly what you're looking for; but the downside is that it is is not as intuitive as it could be.

The advanced search options are also useful if you're looking for something posted by a specific poster (enter their name in the Member Name field). Member names are not part of the regular search---ex. the only threads that will come up when you search a name are those threads where someone else has typed someone's name if that makes sense.

Obviously, in an ideal world the search would be really straightforward; we hope to make improvements to it in 2010 as a part of a larger site search upgrade.

Feel free to send any comments, suggestions, feedback my way at [email protected].

Hope you're having a good weekend!

Mango7 Dec 13th, 2009 10:19 AM

Oh hai, filmwill!

LeighTravelClub Dec 13th, 2009 11:36 AM

Hey Will,

I have the same problem every time I step into a speedboat. It just always takes me to the same place!
Talking of which......early February for our next visit.

Yes, the search function is less than perfect......in fact pretty poor......but it appears that they are aware of it, and are working to improve things.
Now that you have raised the issue, I'm sure it will be resolved asap.

Gpanda Dec 13th, 2009 02:18 PM

In looking at the title of this thread, we should not ignore the possibility that it is Filmwill and the search problems are just a coincidence. He is married to a North Carolina Basketball fan.

filmwill Dec 14th, 2009 07:44 PM

Leigh, so glad to hear you are getting back again! BTW, I am helping a friend plan a trip there. He and his wife planned a last-minute trip to Thailand a few weeks ago and their prospects of finding a hotel on Phi Phi were looking grim. He had written it off until I asked him if he tried the HI--turns out he had written it off just due to the usual gut reaction to the prospect of a Holiday Inn. I told him to keep trying and he was actually able to get a reservation there over Christmas--I don't know how, but they did.

All these people going back to my favorite place--well at least someone is going!

Katie, thanks for the update! I do think it makes more sense, just from a usability perspective to have the default search, as Craig mentioned, include subject matter as opposed to being title-based...but, hey, that's just my two cents.

shanek Dec 15th, 2009 08:30 PM

There should be a choice between Thread Title and Thread Body on the main search function screen rather than having to go to an advanced search to toggle between these.
If the main search was set purely to look for a word or phrase in any part of the thread body, a more general search will end up giving you way too many threads to plough through. This would work for a very specific search but if you wanted to seach for information on "Phuket", you would want to begin with threads that had "Phuket" in the title, rather than bring up every time that it gets mentioned.

shanek Dec 15th, 2009 08:31 PM

I forgot to add, I actually think that the Advanced search works very well and covers most options.