Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Is it just me????I'm so worried about the heat!!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, my husband and I will be celebrating our 10th anniversary in February (2/7-2/21)and I wanted to take a trip that will branch us out into completely different horizons than any other place we've traveled. I wanted it to be someplace completely exotic and with an entirely different culture, like nothing we've ever seen! Preferably on the other side of the world (we went to New Zealand last year so that's out and so is Australia, just a bit too far for 2 weeks)
So, my mind keeps dreaming of Thailand!
From everything I've read here, it is a feast for the senses (ALL the senses!!!) and that sounds like exactly what we're hoping for, but there's just this one big worry I have about the heat/humidity...it sounds unbearable!
I need to stress that we are not "warm weather" people. To us, 74 degrees and sunny is as good as it gets...90 degrees and I'd rather be inside with the AC blasting. The idea of being out and about trying to sightsee in sweltering heat and humidity, constantly wiping the sweat from your face sounds just dreadful.
We also are not beach people in the sense that we don't favor going in the water too much, but are completely enamoured with that type of scenery (we LOVED 2 weeks in Hawaii but outside of snorkeling, hardly spent any time lazing on beaches).
But Bangkok and the temples, elephants, culture and history of a place like Thailand just sound so amazing.
I'd hate to a let a thing like heat keep us from ever experiencing such a place.
After checking into it, it sounds like between Dec. and Feb. are the "coolest" times of year, so we're thiking about giving it a go.
The heat seems to get nary a mention here in the forums. Is Thailand just so great that you don't even notice it?
Any comments from anyone out there who hates hot weather but LOVED being in Thailand anyway??
Please, someone help talk us into it
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 02:03 PM

The coolest time in Thailand are the months Nov and Dec. I have been various times of the year and the coolest was early to mid Dec. I have been there in Jan and Feb and it is already getting in the 90's plus humidity. I am from Houston, so I am use to it. Thailand is a wonderful destination, so I hope you hear from someone who has been there who does not like heat.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 02:08 PM

Well, the heat in Thailand is actually mentioned a lot on this forum.

It is HOT! Hell hot, excuse the language! Two seasons in Thailand; hot and hotter.

I am not a hot weather fan either but all the other pluses about Thailand make it well worth the heat.

Here are my tips for dealing with the heat:

-Do your major site seeing early in the morning

-Take the sky train when possible. It is very convenient and oh so cool!

-Take metered taxis instead of walking. They are cheap and plentiful.

-Drink lots of water!

-Take a breather in the hottest part of the afternoon by either napping, shopping in one of the many air conditioned malls or having a cold one in a view bar.

I have a couple of tiny little battery operated hand held fans with spongy blades that I had used while in Turkey last year. I couldn't find them prior to my Thailand trip in Feb. and I missed them! I bought a couple recently and I will be bringing them when I go back to Thailand in Nov.!

As you can see by the fact that I am going to Thailand twice in one year, hot or not, Thailand is fabulous!

GO!!!!!

Cheers!

Tamara
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 02:22 PM

I have friends who really don't like hot weather and I'd say the same thing to them...perhaps Asia isn't for you?

What about going to Brazil, Peru or Argentina these are also very different "exotic" destinations and wonderful places to visit and you won't find them quite as oppresively hot or humid.

That having been said I find you can work around the heat (although I'd far prefer the warmth to the cold) as Tamara suggests. Get a car and driver with AC plan things for the morning or evening, bring an umbrella and a hat, drink lots of water.

Hope this helps!
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 03:17 PM

My husband cannot stand hot weather...like he wants to turn on the A/C when it gets above 65F.
We were just in Thailand and Cambodia in May, one of the hottest times of the year. With lots of pool time, and time spent in A/C during the hottest parts of the day, he was fine.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Well, thanks for all the replies!
My gut tells me that Thailand should be a December trip, especially after your helpful advice.
But I do know that it is a "must do" trip, it just won't be for our anniversary...but I feel confident now that the wonderful sights and experiences will completely overshadow any discomfort...we'll just have to pick a better time of year.
Thanks again!!!!
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 04:32 PM

'brit, you can of course go skiing in Asia in February.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 04:47 PM

I basically go to Bangkok either in Dec/Jan or August. I was there this past Dec 2005/Jan 2006 and upon arrival the pilot announced the temperature which was in the 60s. I was there for three weeks and for over a week it wasn't that hot...70s/low 80s...and then it warmed up to about the mid/high 80s the rest of the time I was there. It's warmer in August, but I don't find it unbearable or too warm to not go. However, it's sizzling in the spring so avoid that time of the year. Happy Travels!
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 05:22 PM

You can of course go skiing in Asia in February but not in Thailand
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 07:03 PM

i hate hte heat and humidity....in boston tonight is one of those bad nites actually...i have a fan blowing on me...why don't i turn on the a/c...it is supposed to rain any hour now and cool right down..anyways....

thailand is fantastic....i see no difference between dec and feb if you want to know the truth...

my tips are all of those above but add to that total use of taxis everywhere...take the skytrain to near to where you want to go...come down to the street and take a taxi the next 2 blocks...arrrive refreshed...

frequent swims...swims lasting an hour or so...

avoid long walks of any kind...you have to do some with sighseeing but limit that....

hire a driver for sightseeing days: cherry, ratt, pong, or whoever...they deliver you to a sight, take you around, and pick you up in the cool car with a/c and cold water...

eat only inside in a/c....or eat outside on cooler nites (there are not many)

go to the north for slightly cooler weather...

food, shopping, sights are all fantastic in thailand...the people are unreal...

GO AND HAVE A BLAST....join the long line of us who are unable to go there only once...
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 03:07 AM

I loathe heat and I love thailand. I have been there 19 times but always between November and February. i have been there a couple of times in February and have survived although it is cooler in December and early January. How do I survive? I don't try to do too much in any one day and take frequent air conditioning breaks. I'm also not a pool person so I don't do that. I do my heaviest outdoor sightseeing early in the morning -- get to temples when they open. I stay at the Oriental which provides plenty of activities in air conditioned comfort. I also use a driver with an airconditioned car (very reasonable) and don't waste precious energy walking to and from public transportation. I drink a lot of water and carry a light colored sun repellant umbrella.

Also, perhaps my favorite area in thailand is northern thailand. I love Chiang Mai and it is MUCH cooler there than in Bangkok and much less humid.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 04:08 AM

luv2globetrot- Yes its god awful hot and humid in Thailand. The best way to beat the heat is of course to stay out of it as much as possible- to do that Get Ratt! Search this forum for Ratt and you will get all the info you need. Her servive is not expensive. We are not talking about hiring a guide we are talking about hiring a driver to stay with you all day. She will pick you up and take you everywhere. She has cold bottled water and towels for you- and believe me they are a godsend! Yes everyone talks about taxis and the skytrain- and the boats - all well and good but as you said you are not hot weather people- Get Ratt - and your problems are solved.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 04:27 AM

I make this point repeatedly but it bears repeating. In Asia, for those who have the means, having maids and drivers and cooks is fairly common. There is a large class of people for which these are their only options for work. Many people treat themselves to 5 star hotels, goe to upscale restaurants and travel there in premium economy or business class but for some reason don't consider having a driver at their disposal to ferry them everywhere making their touring so much more enjoyable. Ok its not everyone's cup of tea, but for those who want to really relax and not have to contend with the heat, and logistics of the tranportation systems its a great way to go.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 05:31 AM

I am 100% with Bill on the subject of a driver -- especially for those of us who really do hate heat and humidity. I have used Ratt for the past two trips and she has been fabulous. Before Ratt I would use the hotel cars which cost a fortune but even that price was worth it to me. It means the heat becomes an issue I can deal with. I would say it's the best advice anyone can give you.
w
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 06:38 AM

I also have been to BKK numerous times, and I have gotten used to the heat and humidity. I actually look forward to it (almost) at this point, but especially during the November to February time period when it is so cold and awful at home in the midwest.

I don't use drivers in BKK. I ride the skytrain a lot and like to be located in a hotel or apartment that is close to it. Not only is it air conditioned, it is also a nice way to see some of the city skyline because you are above the traffic.

Carol
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 08:01 AM

I loathe the heat and humidity in Bangkok in months other than Nov-Jan, and I just don't go there any more unless I can go then. Last time I went in August, I couldn't go 20 steps outside the hotel before I'd need a change of clothes. Yeah, a driver would resolve many of the heat issues, but for me, a big part of the fun of being in a city is to enjoy walking the streets, looking at the shop windows and buildings and (especially) the people -- basically, just being outside. For much of the year, I can't really enjoy that in Bangkok.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 08:44 AM

Try Northern Thailand, CHiang Mai, Chiang Rai. It is a little cooler. There's tons of sights to see, elephant trekking, bambee rafting, and great markets. Have fun! Thailand is a great place.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 08:13 PM

I love the tropics but even for me the combination of tropical heat with urban congestion and pollution can be overwhelming. Once you get out of the city it's much more bearable. Maybe it's the ocean breeze, the fresher mountain air or the extra rain forest oxygen -- the heat just isn't as onerous when you're not in an urban environment.

I agree with the advice given: move slowly, get an air conditioned car, don't martyr yourself with public transportation, drink plenty of plain cold water, take a siesta midday, take advantage of the early morning or just before sunset time slots.

And most importantly, accept that there will be a physical adjustment period. Even for me, it takes a few days to get re-adjusted when I return to the tropics from a temperate climate.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'll definitely make note to use a driver like Ratt (great tip!)
I've pretty much decided that, in order for us to enjoy ourselves, we better save this trip for a Nov-Jan timeframe. It sounds like we'd be better off finding someplace else for February.....Hong Kong, maybe...anyone?
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 01:09 PM

How about Hong Kong and then 10 days in northern thailand where the weather will be lovely and which will come closer to being the totally different culture and horizons than any city. It's also the most fascinating part of thailand in terms of culture and the people are wonderful. From my perspective you could spend the entire two weeks there and still wish you had more time -- I spent 10 days alone in Chiang Mai last year and can't wait to go back for more.