Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Is it better to fly IAD to Tok/Sing on United or ANA?

Old Aug 6th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone...I am planning to travel to Singapore for a friend's wedding over Christmas. I am debating whether I should go from Washington to Singapore via Tokyo on United or ANA. The prices are about the same, but just wondering if anyone has had good/bad experiences on those legs, and which you preferred? Also, do you know if you will receive United miles on an ANA flight (are they codeshare partners)? Thanks in advance for any help or insights that you might have.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 10:04 AM

ANA has a good reputation and given the choice, I would use them over United. You will receive United miles on the ANA flights.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 10:44 AM

ANA uses their new 777-300ER with advanced A/C entertainment even for economy, and I believe they have the new seats that have slightly more recline and the seat cushion moves forward when reclined.

I'd think food is better on ANA too.

However, if you are UA Premiere, then you can get E+, which should have a little more legroom.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 10:45 AM

What I mean is that NH uses their new 773ERs for the IAD-NRT leg. NRT-SIN is on the older 772. Still fine.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 11:42 AM

ANA and United are both Star Alliance partners. That means that you will get elite qualifying miles for the flight on either carrier. This trip will be about enough to qualify you for Mileage Plus Premier status.

The entertainment system on the old planes (777) that NH used for IAD-NRT had video games on the seatback displays, in addition to the movies, so the newer entertainment system is probably even better.

If you flew United then you might get Economy Plus seats.

You might reach that status after your outbound flight, so you might qualify for a free E+ seat and Premier mileage bonus (25%) on your return flight.

All things (entertainment system, seat pitch, frequent flyer perks) being equal, and they are not but are close in your case, then I would go with ANA.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 12:19 PM

You will only receive 70% of the miles flown on ANA if you credit the miles to United's FF program (unless you fly full-fare economy).

You need 25,000 miles to reach Premier status on UA, and Premier status will indeed entitle you to sit in E+. A flight from Washington to Singapore via Tokyo is about 10,000 miles, so you would need to already have have 15,000 status miles (EQM) in your account this year to qualify for your return flight.

In terms of comfort, ANA is slightly better than UA. In terms of service, ANA is substantially better. The most comfortable flights, however, would either be the Singapore non-stop flight fron Newark or the Thai flight from JFK to Bangkok, connecting to Singapore. Both of those flights have substantially more pitch and recline in regular economy than do either ANA or UA.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 01:01 PM

Couple of things:

1. ANA's IAD-NRT has been upgraded to the 773ER from 772.

2. One can pay $299/year to get UA's Economy Plus Access if one's not elite.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 07:44 PM

According to seatguru, the ANA seats in regular economy on the older 772 is 34" pitch x 16.5" wide x 112 degrees recline while the new 773 is 31" x 16.5" x 112. ANA premium economy is 38 x 18.5 x 120.

United economy is 31" x 18" x ? and E+ is 34-36" x 18" x ?

I've flown that route on ANA and the food is good and the FAs are great. The seats on the old plane were beat and uncomfortable. With the new plane, I would assume the seat comfort would be better than on United, just narrower.

The IAD-NRT flight (6752 miles) on ANA connects with a United flight from NRT-SIN (3324 miles). That's 10076 elite qualifying miles each way. Probably could connect to Singapore Airlines for NRT-SIN as an option to ANA or United.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to everyone for their quick and helpful responses. I do have United miles, so I am glad to hear that those can count if I go on the ANA flight.

Is $1400 a reasonable price for this time of year (before Christmas and after New Year's)? I don't want to take the chance on not getting something, so I am tempted to book it now, but didn't know if it would go any lower. Thanks.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 09:00 AM

Depends on when before Christmas. Generally, anything afte 12/11 or so will be very expensive; perhaps $1,200 or so in years past. This year prices have increased across the board, so $1,400 isn't too bad if it's just before Christmas.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 06:50 PM

Do you have any elite qualifying miles on United this year? If you have 15000 or more then you will reach Premier status on your outbound trip and could fly in Economy Plus on your return. You would then have that status thru Feb 2008. This was mentioned earlier, but I will take it the next step.

Your fare sounds like it is too low to be a fare class (Y,B,M,E,U) that qualifies for E+

If you have 15,000 EQMs (or will have that many posted before your trip to SIN), then I suggest that you mention this when calling United. Call United reservations and ask them if they will give you E+ seat assignments, then put the reservation on hold (or you could reserve and hold it online and then call).

No matter what answer you get for that question you should then call United Mileage Plus. Ask to speak to a supervisor, if necessary. Ask for a status upgrade while explaining that you have 15K and are considering buying a ticket on United for a trip where the outbound distance (10000 miles) would qualify you for Permier status. Ask to have the benefit of that status for the outbound trip (the E+ seat and 25% mileage bonus). Key word is: ask. You aren't really in a position to bargain and threatening would be bad form. Just ask.

If you got the E+ seat from UA reservations, then it would still be a good idea to ask for the status upgrade (they call it status match, I think) anyway because of the 25% bonus. And you may get kicked out of the E+ seat without the status.

If you have less than 15000 EQMs then you could ask for a fasttrack to Premier so that you would qualify on your return flight next year.