Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Intinerary Help / Seven Nights in Phuket

Oct 24th, 2005, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Our plans currently include 7 nights / 6 days at the JW Marriott in Phuket. Should we reduce our stay at the JW Marriott to 4 nights and spend the other 3 at another resort or in Phi Phi? As far as activities, we are planning on diving for one or two days and kayaking in Phang Nga Bay. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you.
Oct 24th, 2005, 06:52 AM

i spent four days there this past june...it is a fantastic hotel...i would spend all my time there...it is remote on the norther end of the island which may require you some travel time to dive spots, etc...i would not leave there...plan to spend some down time there without activities...it is amazing...i would arrange my trips out from there...i rented a car which made life very easy while there as well
Oct 24th, 2005, 08:02 AM

Hi,
If you can afford it, stay a night at Amanpuri. They still have a 50% deal until the 31st of October. I don't know what your travel dates are though.

You can read my review at my site:

http://www.mcdougalladventures.com/a...huket-amanpuri

We also took a rainforest hike to the Gibbon sanctuary which was fantastic. there is a little waterfall and pool just along the path from the sanctuary.
Oct 24th, 2005, 08:29 AM

It all depends what you are looking for and your expectations, Phi Phi although still beautiful had a lot of construction on it, a lot went with the Tsunami but it is often thought of as far more built up than people expect, if you really want totally 'get away from it all' places there are places like Koh Yao etc that really come close to desoltare paradise, I know many who went to Phi Phi were pretty shocked when they saw a 5-11 store and bars!

This is a good example if you seriously want something totaly different and is about the closest you could get to your desert island type place, if that is what you are after:

http://www.r24.org/huahin.20m.com/ph...dise/pictures/

or

http://www.r24.org/huahin.20m.com/ph...oyao/pictures/

You can easily get to do the kayaking around Phang Nga on day trips from the marriott and in fact the marriott is well on the way to Phang Nga anyway so doesn't take long at all.

Oct 24th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Is getting a rental car a better option than cabs from the JW Marriott?
Oct 25th, 2005, 05:18 AM

We rented a driver for the better part of a day, and he took us all over, and waited for us at each place. It was easier than trying to find a cab or tsongau (sp) everytime (plus negotiating the price each time).
Oct 25th, 2005, 09:58 AM

i think the rental cars allow you total flexibility....the marriott is very remote..