Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Interested in Asia but want to break up trip

Oct 28th, 2001, 02:10 AM
Harry

I would love to visit Singapore, Thailand and Malaysia but can not picture going 28 hours straight through either in airports or on a plane. I would like to break the trip up and stop for a few days in Japan or Korea before heading on to SE Asia.

Does anyone know of tours to Thailand/Singapore that will allow free stop overs in Japan or Korea?

Oct 28th, 2001, 03:56 PM
Kathie

I don't know about tours that allow this, though any that book independent travel should be able to do this for you.

It used to be that most airlines allowed one stopover. That means you could stop for a few days in a city, then fly on to your destination. I don't know whether that has changed.

Oct 28th, 2001, 04:38 PM
Pas

I would think that most of the tours offered by the big tour oeprators, many of whom have been mentioned in the postings here, offer ad-ons at the beginning and end of their main tours. Of course, they are not free.

If trevelling independently you should be able to find airlines travelling through your stop-over points and on to your destination which offer stop-overs without a higher air fare. The cheapest way is usually to ensure that you do not need to change airlines in order to do this.

Oct 28th, 2001, 04:58 PM
kang

You can always do "land portion" of the tour, which means your take care of your air travel both ways by yourself. Most tour companies offer such options. And you can do whatever you want and take as long or as short as you want on your way to and back from your destination.

Oct 29th, 2001, 12:39 AM
neil

I think NorthWest has a stop over at japan, i think you can find more info by searching through MSN for "asian package tour"

Oct 29th, 2001, 04:40 AM
Harry

In my further research all of the low cost Asia tours do not allow stop overs. Also the lowest priced airline tickets to Singapore/or Thailand (those under a thousand RT) do not allow stop overs. Some of the fare classes that cost over $1000 RT allow stop overs at $100 each way. In other words, if you want to stop over, it will cost you!

If anyone knows an exception to this rule, please let us know!