Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Interasia flights, how/where to book? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/interasia-flights-how-where-to-book-603444/)

lovesadventure Mar 29th, 2006 09:21 AM

Interasia flights, how/where to book?

I will be wanting to book flights from Bangkok to Phuket, round trip for our time in Thailand. Do I book directly through the airline (and which airlines) or is it best to get in contact with a local Thai travel agent? How far in advance should these be booked? Travel in November.

Also, am looking for one-way tickets from BKK to Taipei, again, is it best to go directly to the airline or use a travel agent? Any idea what airlines make that route--I'm guessing that the big US airlines may not be the most cost effective choice.

Thanks!

rhkkmk Mar 29th, 2006 09:28 AM

within thailand it has been my experience that the fares are pretty standard no matter where you book, so i would do it on the airline website...i also would do it now as november is a very busy time...thai air flights are usually refundable and/or changeable...

for discounts within asia, i have had very good luck with eddie at sea tours...his discounts can be significant....

his e mail is: [email protected]

deptrai Mar 29th, 2006 10:51 AM

For Bangkok to Phuket use Air Asia and book directly from their website---www.airasia.com. Read the fine print regarding luggage weight allowances.

Kathie Mar 29th, 2006 11:07 AM

If you opt for Air Asia, do make sure you are ok with the luggage allowance and you might want to read about some of the problems others have experienced with them.

I always use Thai Air - frequent flights, good service, reasonable luggage allowance. It just depends on your priorities.

MichaelBKK Mar 29th, 2006 04:38 PM

Personally, I avoid Air Asia at all costs. Too many hassles and they're almost never on time. If you want a cheap and easy flight, try Nok Air (http://www.nokair.com). They're the low cost subsidiary of Thai Airways. You can book flights AND select your seats online. Pay an extra 500 Baht ($12.50) and you can upgrade to "Nok Plus" which gets you a business class seat, newspaper and in-flight meal.

Early morning flights are the cheapest and most likely to be on-time, but I haven't had a delay yet, no matter what time I've flown.

rhkkmk Mar 29th, 2006 06:10 PM

air asia gets very bad reviews by fodorites generally except for the price...

Scotters Mar 29th, 2006 07:59 PM

Nok Air is probably the best of the 3 thailand discount airlines. Just be careful to book one of their own flights and not one operated by Thai airlines as on the Bangkok/Chiang Mai route the fare is just a couple of hundred baht less than a regular Thai flight.

As for Air Asia I and my friends have no complaints other than being delayed for a short time. Just allow plenty of time if you are using them to make a connecting flight.

lovesadventure Mar 29th, 2006 09:44 PM

Asia Air will only let me book 7 months out, and Nok Air only 3 months out. But Thai Air wants about $325 for tickets.

Does it make more sense to wait a bit?

JamesA Mar 30th, 2006 01:06 AM

Nok Air does not have as many flights as Air asia but I am also a great lover of 'Nok Plus', the aircraft used to be Thai Airways, you get 2 by 2 seating and extra legroom and although a budget carrier you really do get treated quite well, also the 30 kg baggage allowance is really worth it, the normal 'budget carrier ( including Nok Air ) allwance is 15 kgs, so if you do have a lot of baggage with you using Nok Plus is a bargain!
But if you want to book a long time in advance or weant full service then Thai.

rhkkmk Mar 30th, 2006 05:38 AM

thai ari price to phuket is $325? that is about twice the normal price for r.t. where did you get that price? the usual would be less than $150 r.t.

lovesadventure Mar 30th, 2006 07:31 AM

rhk, that's what I was quoted on the thai air website. Please keep in mind that that is for 2 people. Is this still above normal? If not, I may as well book. If yes, then I'll wait to see what the Nok Air tickets go for.

JamesA Mar 30th, 2006 08:50 AM

Just did a check, comes out at B 12,920, at 38.5 ( roughly exchange rate at moment ) about USD 335, so 325 is an exchange rate of about USD1=39.75, it is moveing around a it at the moment but even on the old/usual rate of about USD1=40 that would be USD 323.

So it sounds right.

Scotters Mar 30th, 2006 10:03 AM

Nok air prices will propably be the same in november as they are now. Thay do not change very much unless there is another large increase in fuel prices. So you could get 2 return tickets for 7000 baht ($179) regular or plus at 9140 baht ($234).

Air Asia will be cheaper as a return booking in October made now is around 5560 baht or 143us dollars.