Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Input on De Naga Hotel & Rimping Village Hotel-Chiang Mai (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/input-on-de-naga-hotel-and-rimping-village-hotel-chiang-mai-794247/)

wassala Jul 7th, 2009 08:42 AM

Input on De Naga Hotel & Rimping Village Hotel-Chiang Mai

I got good advice for the Yaang Come Village, which I am considering, but nobody said anything about the De Nage & Rimping Village Hotels.

What I consider important is location, walking distance to Sunday Market, excellent buffet breakfast and up-to-date clean and modern bathroom.

When they say breakfast included, does that necessarily mean buffet. Once I read the hotel saying American Breakfast included, buffet breakfast blank amount of money. What's the norm?

If anyone has stayed at either or both of these hotels, I would sure appreciated your in put, cause I really have to start making reservations.

Shirley

If you have stayed at either one of these hotels, I would appreciate what ever you have to say pro or con.

Statefan Jul 7th, 2009 12:34 PM

Shirley - just my opinion (and we just returned from our first visit so I hardly qualify as an expert) I would pick the place you are most interested in not worry about being close to the Sunday market. We stayed over at Baan Orapin and it never cost us more 60B to get anywhere in Chiang Mai with a tuk tuk. We ended up choosing between Baan Orapin and De Naga and were really thrilled with our choice.

We did walk past Yaang Come Village one evening looking for a local dessert place that was recommended by Opas and could not understand what the big deal was about YCV. I'm sure the hotel is nice, but the street around it had a bunch of karaoke bars and had a strange vibe too it. YMMV.

Kathie Jul 7th, 2009 01:45 PM

As for breakfasts. many are buffet, some are order from the menu, many are a combination. That is, you may have fruit and pastries at a buffet table and order an omlet or eggs to be made for you.

I agree that the street YCV is on is not special (but, frankly, I feel that way about all of CM) but the hotel itself is special. It is set far back from the street, so it's very quiet. The rooms and decor have a distinctly Thai feel to them, and the bathrooms are large and lovely.

I think there are a number of satisfactory places to stay in CM.

MichaelBKK Jul 7th, 2009 09:51 PM

Heard great things about De naga, though I haven't stayed there myself. I was under the impression that Rimping was rather 'remote' location-wise (far beyond the Holiday Inn/Westin/whatever it is this week).

filmwill Jul 7th, 2009 10:02 PM

Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

We stayed at De Naga this past December.

It was very nice, but know that we love boutique hotels and try our best to stay away from the comforts of big chain hotels...so we're used to a bit of a firmer bed and perhaps a less luxe bathroom. The hotel grounds are gorgeous and the restaurant is quite nice.

That said, as for the breakfast, I remember thinking it was fine--nothing extraordinary. If you're expecting a large spread with great variety, you'd be disappointed. Just the standards: eggs (cooked-to-order, I believe), yogurt, granola, hot cereal, noodle dishes/rice and baked goods.

The location was fantastic. About a 5-10 minute walk to the Night Bazaar--but I agree with the others, I don't think that should be a priority for your decision. I think you want to be away from that racket--close enough to walk, but not right next to it.

I loved the location of De Naga--it's down a really quite and charming alley of the main strip and we quite enjoyed walking around and exploring,