Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Indonesia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/indonesia-997399/)

narissav Nov 10th, 2013 08:40 AM

Indonesia

Looking for 4-5 day trip in Indonesia. Will be leaving from Singapore Sunday 12/22 and have until Thursday 12/26 or Friday 12/27 before flying out of Bali.

What is feasible and most worth seeing in these few days?
Is it worth visiting Jakarta?
What about Borobudur?
What is around Bali to see? Is it better to just fly into Bali and do trips around there? We want to maximize our time.
Which local airlines are reasonable and reliable to fly from Singapore or around Indonesia?

Kathie Nov 10th, 2013 01:53 PM

Don't bother with Jakarta. We love the central Java area - Borobudur and Prambanam and other temples. Chick on my name and you'll find a trip report for Java from last Novembere.

With just 4-5 days, I'd stick to central Java, not really enough time for both Java and Bali. You could opt to just visit Bali for that short time, but don't try for both.

marmot Nov 10th, 2013 02:56 PM

Agree, for 4-5 days pick one place, either Bali or Central Java (Yogyakarta/Borobudur). The choice really depends on what you like to do: beach relaxation, cultural experiences, adventure travel, ancient temples.

From Singapore to Bali or Yogyakarta, Air Asia is your best bet.

Bear in mind that your dates fall into the high season. Rates will be high and resorts/restaurants very busy. You'll get some rain at the beach (if you choose Bali) and Borobudur monument will be quite crowded, especially on official Indonesian holidays.

julianaoctavia Nov 19th, 2013 06:32 AM

I agree with Kathie... Forget Jakarta if you only have 4 days... Yogyakarta, Central Java is worth to see. However, Bali will be on my top priority... Yes the island is filled with so many tourists, yet everytime I visited Bali, I am pleased...

You will find many activities around Bali, and the price of accomodation varies according on your budget...

narissav Nov 20th, 2013 06:24 AM

Thanks! We have decided on Bali - any recs on which neighborhood to be based out of?

julianaoctavia Nov 20th, 2013 09:59 AM

What kind of things that you are interested in? If you like nightlife, kuta - legian will be perfect... But you still have to consider the excessive crowds there... On weekends, no cab driver wants to pass that area... If you are into the beaches and sunbathing, but you do not really care about the nightlife, you can stay in seminyak area... Seminyak has the cleaner beach, and the area is filled with many restaurants that serve international cuisine... Some of my favorites are located in seminyak... And the area is not as wild as kuta, but they are still close one another.. On the other hand, if you are looking for the serenity, you should stay in ubud. It is 2 hours drive from kuta, and the area is famous for the art and cultural things. There are many great spas there, and the balinese food is the best here.. In kuta or legian, you wont find a lot of Balinese cuisine... I usually stay in those areas depending on what i want to do there... One more area, Tanjung Benoa, is a good place too... There are many five stars hotels and the beach is clean. However, you can find villas in any area you want to stay in... Well, i hope it helps.. And make sure that you rent a transportation because the distance is kinda far from one place to another... I usually rent the car with the driver so that i can have options and recommendations from the driver...

Have a great time in Bali...

julianaoctavia Nov 20th, 2013 10:00 AM

For the cheap airlines, you can always check airasia, jetstar, or tiger... But the price is not the final one because the baggage will be excluded from the fee...