Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > Indian visa no longer allowed for certain US citizens of Indian origin?
Notices

Indian visa no longer allowed for certain US citizens of Indian origin?

Oct 17th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Indian visa no longer allowed for certain US citizens of Indian origin?

It appears BLS has removed the option to get an Indian tourist visa if the person is from Indian origin, is a US citizen and no longer possesses an old Indian passport. This includes people who were naturalized in the USA decades ago. Also the option for very old and already canceled passports that recently did not require a renunciation certificate has been removed.

For a person of Indian origin, there is a significant additional requirement to obtain a renunciation certificate, with a packet of materials to send including the old Indian passport.

I am not getting any response back from BLS. Maybe I am missing something?
Oct 17th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Just noticed they do have an option for 10-year prior naturalization without passport. What they apparently removed was the second scenario- where the old passport is already canceled. You have to go through yet another procedure on top of the old canceled passport, to obtain a renunciation certificate.
Oct 17th, 2013, 10:40 PM

Hopefully all this red tape will be unnecessary at some point, hopefully soon as India has decided to issue visa on arrival for 40 countries inc. the US. The question is how soon can they implement this. I wonder what the over/under would be on this? .

Search this Thread