Indian restaurant recommendations in Singapore

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts

Any recommendations for Indian restaurants in Singapore? We'll be staying near Orchard Road, but we certainly aren't limited to that area.

I've found a few listings for Indian restaurants in Clarke Quay - any experience with Ras, Moghul Mahal or Ivory?

Prefer non-vegetarian mid-range establishments, but open to just about anything.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - we love our Indian food and are always on the prowl for new places to try.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 05:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can check this out.

http://www.streetdirectory.com/resta...ine/10/Indian/

how about this. haven't tried cos heard it's quite pricy.

http://goasia.about.com/od/singapore...fIndiaSpor.htm
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 08:44 AM

We ate at a really excellent place (twice) last time we were in Singapore. Sorry, I don't know the name of it, but it was located in the Raffles City Shopping center, on one of the lower levels, I believe. The food was really wonderful, and we were the only non-Indians in the place both times we ate there. The restaurant was moderately priced and had a nice atmosphere.

You can take the MRT right to the Raffles CIty shopping center - you come out right at the entrance.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both.

Kathie - I did a search and found Shahi Maharani on the third floor of Raffles City. Does this sound like the place?
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 05:01 PM

Yes, that does sound familiar. We really enjoyed it.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathie - will try to check it out. Leaving this afternoon for a couple of days in Singapore.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 05:46 PM

Enjoy!
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 05:47 PM

We had an outstanding meal at Anjappar on Syed Alwi Road . There is another on Race Course Road. We chose it from a whole bunch of Indian restaurants (in Little India) based on the number of Indian customers inside when many of the others along the street were empty. It was right on the money....excellent food. Price was low, a bit more than hawkers, but less than most restaurants.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kim - have added it to my list.
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 05:14 AM

do the thing that average Indian families do---in the Indian area there is a spot that has several restaurants that feature Fish Head Curry.It is wonderful, inexpensive and a great experience. It is not as strange as it sounds and is a wonderful experience. There are other things on the menu as well. I can't recall the name of the one we really loved, but it is the glitziest one on the street.This is not the "Mogul" food. This is what India eats. I hope you do it.
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 05:17 AM

In the Indian area there is a block of restaurants that feature Fish Head Curry. It is really great and a great experience, also inexpensive.I think the one we loved is the appollo. it is the glitziest one on the block. I hope you do it.
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 05:21 AM

Lest anyone thinks I am truly insane sending the same message twice, my computer seems to think I am not on the internet.Sorry.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

Judo -

Appreciate your input, but no fish head curry for this girl. I don't eat fish bodies, let alone their heads. I assume you're referring to Banana Leaf Apollo? I've heard it's the best place for fish head curry.

Arrived in Singapore last night and had a very good lunch today at Shahi Maharani in Raffles City Plaza (Kathie's recommendation). Loved the fact that they had roomali roti, a menu item I seem to have trouble finding.

Incidentially, we've been trying to get to Raffles Hotel for three years to try the infamous Singapore Sling at the Long Bar, but as luck would have it, the bar was closed for a private function today from 2-5:30.

Naturally, we got there just before 2.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 05:38 AM

So glad you enjoyed my recommendation! Enjoy the rest of your stay in Singapore.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 10:27 PM

Hi,

My mum just got back from Singapore. She tried Song of India based on recommendations from this board, but also went to another place called 'Vintage India', which she said was equally as good. The address is
10 Dempsey Road,
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 02:55 AM
Original Poster

Noted, for next time (December).
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 05:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I know you said you prefer non-vegetarian, BUT you really need to check out a Singapore institution: Annalakshmi. For at least 20 years they were in the Excelsior Hotel, but recently moved to Chinatown Point, right by the north entrance of the Chinatown MRT station.

You can't lose because you pay what you think the food is worth. Money back guarantee that you'll be happy you went! They have a tandoor so have garlic naan. Don't forget to order mango lassi.
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Nelson. Actually, I'm quasi vegetarian, but husband is a serious carnivore, so I try to accommodate him. I can always find something to eat in a non veg restaurant, whereas he can't do same in strictly veg restaurant, but he might be swayed if the paneer is fabulous.

Funny you mention Annalakshmi, as there's a restaurant in Perth with the same name, same "pay what you feel it's worth" concept. I assume the Singapore location is related to the one in Perth.

We'd planned to visit the Perth location, but found the whole "you decide what to pay" concept a bit intimidating - I'd hate to insult anyone and would probably end up overpaying. But, maybe that's why it works?

Thanks for the tip - looking forward to eating my way through Singapore next month!
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 06:36 PM

I think the one at the Raffles is the Tiffin Room and is at the lobby level. I had heard a lot of good things about it but was dissapointed with the dinner buffet there. The best Indian food is probably the Rang Mahal at the Pan Pacific Hotel. Song of India, I ahve not tried, is supposedly very good. Anything at Dempsey is worth a try. Its a very nice area with high quality establishments.
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 07:00 PM

There's a nice upscale Northern Indian place in the Pan Pacific that we enjoyed very much. Folks who live in Singapore steered us to Samy's Curry House. Fishead curry is their specialty. There are several locations -- the one we tried in Little India is anything but fancy (it looks like a gov't cafeteria), but the food was great. Served on a banana leaf, no silverware -- we loved it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -