Notices

India Travel Vaccinations

Sep 3rd, 2010, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

India Travel Vaccinations

I will be traveling to India and Nepal in October (2 weeks) and was wondering what immunizations are suggested for travelers going there. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) suggests many but I’m confused if all those apply for all areas in India. I will be mostly in Delhi, Agra, Orccha, Varanasi, Lumbini and Kathmandu. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Sep 3rd, 2010, 07:39 AM

i suggest you consult a travel clinic... usually the CDC lists things by area...
Sep 3rd, 2010, 07:44 AM

The cdc site can look overwhelming if you aren't familiar with travel medicine issues. I recommend you print out the cdc pages on India before visiting your physician.

Basically, I break down immunizations into three categories, routine vaccines, travel vaccines and destination-specific vaccines.

Routine vacines: everyone should be up to date on diphtheria/pertussis/tetanus, and you should check on whether you ned a new booster for measles/mumps/rubella. ALso, talk with your doctor, as you may need a polio booster, depending on when and what type of vaccine you received as a child. This is especially important for India.

Travel vaccines: Hep. A (Personally, I think everyone should have this whether or not they travel) and Hep B, and typhoid.

Destination-specific Vaccines: The Japanese encephalitis vaccine is recommended only for long stays in rural farming areas.
Rabies is a special case. India has the highest rate off human rabies in the world. Whether to get this vaccine (which does not prevent you contracting rabies, but gives you more time to seek treatment if you are bitten) depends on the activities you plan to engage in and how far you will be from good medical care. If you are trekking or bicycling, for instance, you are at greater risk. But anyone can be bitten by a stray dog (or monkey). Read all the info on the rabies vaccine and discuss this with your doctor. Remember that Human Immune Globulin in usually in very short supply or unavailable in India. If you have had the vaccine, you will not need the Immune Globulin if you are bitten.

Also talk with your doctor about malaria. In any case, you'll want to be meticulous about preventing mosquito bites, as there are a number of mosquito-bourne illnesses in this part of the world.
Sep 3rd, 2010, 02:44 PM

agree with all the above as I have been to India. Malaria pills also need to be taken. Do not wait any longer to consult your doc. Some of these things need to be done way in advance. the Malaria pills as I recall need to be started before you leave for India and taken for about a week when you return as well as taken everyday in India. Get going on this....

Search this Thread