Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   India temporarily suspending visas (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/india-temporarily-suspending-visas-1678555/)

jacketwatch Mar 11th, 2020 11:21 AM

India temporarily suspending visas

https://livefromalounge.boardingarea...-visa/#respond

jacketwatch Mar 11th, 2020 03:24 PM

I do wonder what will happen to flights from India to the US specifically the AI R/T ORD-DEL. Our friends flew out on this several mos. ago and are scheduled to return April 1. Usually the plane is turned around for a flight back to Delhi but now what will happen? I can't imagine them flying back empty. Maybe AI will have to get them on other airlines? Financially AI is is trouble. The govt. has been trying to off load it for some time now.

inquest Mar 11th, 2020 10:55 PM

JW, got this info on whatsaap yesterday, its fully justified as the situation has been declared a pandemic by WHO. India is sitting on a tinderbox, considering a population of 1.5 billion. Phew. !! Its got only 60 reported +ve cases till date.
Visas( valid) suspended till 15th April. But if folks still have to do 'essential travel' , they will be compulsorily quarantined for 14 days. The choice is theirs. The same I suppose will hold good for the US. Your friends are likely to be quarantined on arrival unless the situation improves.

inquest Mar 11th, 2020 11:36 PM

The US has banned flights from Europe for 30 days. The Govt. would probably send aircrafts to rescue 'stranded' citizens abroad if the situation worsens. India, I'm told has already rescued its citizens from Iran,considering Iran itself is waging a battle against the virus. The logistics of evacuations using diplomatic channels is a commendable job the Indian govt has achieved. Many more evacuations, including its students in Wuhan have successfully taken place in spite of China's tough, non-cooperative stand and its denial all along.
India has quarantined itself from the world. Guess its the best option, more like a sick individual voluntarily isolating oneself to prevent a spread.

jacketwatch Mar 11th, 2020 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by inquest (Post 17077124)
The US has banned flights from Europe for 30 days. The Govt. would probably send aircrafts to rescue 'stranded' citizens abroad if the situation worsens. India, I'm told has already rescued its citizens from Iran,considering Iran itself is waging a battle against the virus. The logistics of evacuations using diplomatic channels is a commendable job the Indian govt has achieved. Many more evacuations, including its students in Wuhan have successfully taken place in spite of China's tough, non-cooperative stand and its denial all along.
India has quarantined itself from the world. Guess its the best option, more like a sick individual voluntarily isolating oneself to prevent a spread.

wow! Thank you. Now that travel from Europe has been banned the options for my friends seem grim. I imagine quarantine on arrival is a stark but real possibility

thursdaysd Mar 12th, 2020 05:00 AM

No, flights have not been banned. Entry for US citizens and permanent residents (and probably family members) has not been banned. Entry of cargo has not been banned. Entry for people who have been in the Schengen zone in the preceding 14 days has been suspended. The Prez was not clear about what was in the order he signed....

See: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...-europe-126706

jacketwatch Mar 22nd, 2020 10:05 AM

I spoke to my friend today. The latest is she has no idea when she can return. Her flight is scheduled for April 1 to ORD but that's completely up in the air, not literally. ;)

inquest Mar 24th, 2020 02:10 PM

India under total lockdown for 21 days. All forms of public transport including internal flights suspended. Interstate borders closed.
Only essential services. Hospitals, supermarkets, gas stations, pharmacies are operational.
People told to stay indoors. The PM'S appealed for calm and the message was clear 'Stay In Slay Covid '. A very positive move. Should work.So far so good . The next few days crucial.
Only hope and pray the world will pull thru this.Stay safe all ye wonderful fodorites...wherever you are. Take care. God Bless

jacketwatch Mar 24th, 2020 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by inquest (Post 17083883)
India under total lockdown for 21 days. All forms of public transport including internal flights suspended. Interstate borders closed.
Only essential services. Hospitals, supermarkets, gas stations, pharmacies are operational.
People told to stay indoors. The PM'S appealed for calm and the message was clear 'Stay In Slay Covid '. A very positive move. Should work.So far so good . The next few days crucial.
Only hope and pray the world will pull thru this.Stay safe all ye wonderful fodorites...wherever you are. Take care. God Bless

I saw that too. Thank you.
Stay hunkered down. and pray for our front line care givers, my former colleagues who are having a very tough time now World wide.