Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   India taxi fare (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/india-taxi-fare-642559/)

arcman Aug 28th, 2006 02:03 PM

India taxi fare

What should I expect to pay for taking a taxi from Delhi airport to Agra?

hobbes Aug 29th, 2006 04:44 AM

I assume you will book in advance with a tour company. I do not think you can just land at Delhi and take a taxi. What time of year and do you want air conditioned?

thursdaysd Aug 29th, 2006 05:47 AM

Cheaper and more comfortable to take a taxi to Delhi station and a train to Agra.

Craig Aug 29th, 2006 06:03 AM

But the "local color" you see on the drive to Agra is far more interesting than what you can see from the train. There's also the matter of timing...

kellyee21 Aug 29th, 2006 06:36 AM

There was a lot of "local color" on our train from Delhi to Agra (sleeper class), here is an entry on my blog about it :

The train trip to Agra was an adventure to say the least. We almost missed it as they changed the track number.
Arriving to our seats we found 2 guys there already and after a few minutes of discussion they vacated our places,
taking their rifles with them! We spent the next 3 hours watching these 4 guys with big guns play cards on a makeshift table using their guns with their prisoner, who was the designated score keeper!

Craig Aug 29th, 2006 06:59 AM

Hard to argue with that kellyee - your post reminded me that if you are going to Agra at night, it is better (less dangerous) to take the train...

arcman Aug 29th, 2006 02:36 PM

Wait, I got confused: its more safe to take the train at night with guys with rifles than take a taxi?

Craig Aug 29th, 2006 02:44 PM

Driving or being driven at night in India is not really the safest thing to do. An encounter with guys with rifles on an Indian train is unusual but apparently it happened to the above poster.

lcuy Aug 29th, 2006 07:10 PM

The road from Delhi to Agra is considered one of the most dangerous in the world.

Even the state department warns against driving at night in India...poor -or no -lighting, big potholes, big overloaded trucks, poorly maintained buses with drivers who have been on the road for too many hours, elephants, camel carts, bicyclists, pedestrians, dogs, and goats are just a few of the things on the road.

Not that trains don't get in accidents, but driving at night is just crazy!

rhkkmk Aug 29th, 2006 08:18 PM

don't mention the state dept. or you know who will reappear!!!

kellyee21 Aug 29th, 2006 10:01 PM

Sorry for the confusion. I agree, it is still safer to take the train, guns or no guns !

Our experience was not unsafe, just unsettling at first because it took us a couple hours to figure out these guys were police (they did not have uniforms) and not freedom fighters or something. We just sat there hardly speaking, not believing I kicked these guys out of our seats (didn't see the guns until they got up, hahahah). Later on, the guys struck up a conversation with us, and we ended up having a lot of good laughs with them as I tried to impress them with the few words of Hindi I had learned. The trains were always interesting, not to be missed !

Murray_Jones Sep 26th, 2006 07:52 AM

You would be safe with a car arranged by a travel company. Tourist number plates have to be earned, and they do not appear on normal taxis. Try trusted [email protected] for a quote.