Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

India Shipping tips…don't want to carry that formal!

Dec 9th, 2014, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

As our gateway to India involves disembarking from a cruise to enter the shopping enticements of India for 11 nights, I'd like to quickly unload our unwanted/not needed formal attire leftovers from the cruise.

So, if we'd like to ship home a duffel full of formal duds, what's the best way to do this? Is there a shipping venue at Mumbai's airport that we could use? Or, less desirable, we may have to wait until we get to New Delhi, after visiting the major sites of Rajasthan and Agra.

Is this very expensive to arrange? I'd love to hear how you handled a similar issue…or perhaps, you just overindulged in acquisitions that exceeded your baggage capability?

Thanks for your expert recommendations.
Dec 9th, 2014, 05:02 PM

You can ship things home from the post office. I've done it several times from Delhi, there will be someone to pack up your duffle in a box and you can send it by air or sea. I've always sent things by sea, cheap, and they've always gotten to their destination. But if the things are important to you and there'll be someone to receive them, you may want to spring for air. Not only do you rid yourself of the extra stuff, you have a post office adventure, I favorite of mine in P.O.'s all over the world.
Dec 9th, 2014, 06:50 PM

Barefoot - when do you leave? Looking forward to hearing about your trip afterward.
Dec 10th, 2014, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

MmePerdu, If I'm going to have a post office adventure…am I allowed to photograph it? Thanks for the tip…especially that they'll box the duffle.

Hi dgunbug, we're leaving in mid-March, just in time for the HOT season. I
Dec 10th, 2014, 07:30 AM

Maybe ship thru your first hotel... IT will be. Expensive
Dec 10th, 2014, 08:59 AM

"…am I allowed to photograph it?"

I wish I'd done just that but, I was so absorbed with watching the packing man and with the interactions with other post office users, it didn't occur to me. I cannot imagine that there's a prohibition, but if there is a rule, I'm sure they'll let you know. I would advise the usual, to be conscious of the wishes of others regarding having their picture taken.

Tidy queues are not the norm in India and the post office is no exception. I was making my way to the counter to send off the packed box and was in the scrum as it moved forward. At one point a man pushed in front of me, only to be told by a well-dressed man beside me, to step aside and let me through, which he did. Most appreciated by me and all part of the adventure. I don't think I could have accomplished the task and taken pictures too but if there are 2 of you, you might succeed in both.

I'd love to hear your post office report when you return. It's something I always look forward to doing when I travel, different in every country and particularly satisfying in Asian countries for some reason. I guess it's succeeding at a mundane task when you aren't sure of the rules. But easily done and entertaining.
Dec 11th, 2014, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

I was kidding about the photography because usually you can't shoot in government buildings…but if there's so much bedlam, maybe no one would notice.

As an alternative, has anyone used a standalone shipping service?
Dec 11th, 2014, 10:31 AM

I did use FedEx in one case, for a piece of furniture bought in Jodhpur. It turned out to be less expensive to fly it home than to ship just 1 piece by sea. But I suspect that wouldn't hold true for a package that can be mailed. It'll be interesting to know what others have done in this regard.
Dec 11th, 2014, 07:41 PM

MmePerdu--

If you don't mind my asking, how large was your piece of furniture and what did it cost to ship FedEx? Was this to the US? I'd like to have a general idea of the answer ahead of time since my husband always uses that great line, "And how would you get it home?"
Dec 11th, 2014, 08:12 PM

Yes, the US.

It was an antique Anglo-Indian bed that came apart into about a dozen pieces, so flat but by no means light. The bed was $400, the shipping $600. which as I mentioned above, was the most economical choice presented to me.

I was on a long trip and when I got home I emailed the furniture guys who dispatched my purchase. I then followed it's progress on the FedEx website, trucked from Jodhpur to Mumbai, then flown Mumbai-Germany- Kentucky (I think)-to a nearby airport and trucked to my door. I love my bed. I'm a pretty frugal person as a rule and consider $600 was a bargain.
Dec 13th, 2014, 05:28 AM

Mme--

Thanks so much for replying. I am quite frugal too (and my husband even more so), but it sounds like you got something totally fabulous for a total purchase price of $1000. That is what I think you have to look at here--total cost and not just shipping price.
Dec 13th, 2014, 09:07 AM

Yes, indeed. I'd shopped for a bed before I left home and found nothing that interested me. I'd set myself a budget of $1000 to spend, in case I found one in my travels. Jodhpur, by the way, is a center for sellers of antique furniture, in case it interests you. So, as you say, my bed came in right on budget. I haven't been sorry I bought it for a second.