Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

India question: buses from Bundi to Chittorgarh

Sep 13th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Cicerone, this might be up your alley.... after about eight hours in Bundi (from where we plan to head for Udaipur) we have the choice of catching a train to Chittorgarh and waiting for a connection to Udaipur (that's about three-and-a-half hours from one in the morning!), or saying "to hell with the train", taking an afternoon bus from Bundi to Chittorgarh, staying the night near the station, and hopping a 5:40 a.m train to Udaipur, arriving refreshed and ready to sightsee. Sounds like the easier option.

However, try finding out anything about buses from Bundi to Chittorgarh! Lonely Planet assures us that they exist -- but whether they go hourly, daily or weekly, I have no idea.

If anyone can give me some information, or point me to a suitable website, I would be very grateful.
Sep 14th, 2004, 05:43 AM

I have not taken a whole lot of public buses in India. My gut feeling is that you are better off on the train for several reasons: (i) it will be easier to get some sleep on the train, and I am not sure how "refreshed" you will be with a 5:40 am bus departure and no actual sleep on the bus, (ii) you won't be fighting crowds as much on a train, (iii) I love waiting in Indian train stations as you get THE best people watching in the entire world, (iv) IMO going to all the trouble of taking the bus, finding a hotel for 8 hours, etc just for a 5:40 am train seems like more trouble than it is worth.

Can?t help with bus schedules. Have you posted on Thorn Tree posts on lonelyplanet.com? You may end up waiting until you get to Bundi to get really correct information, so maybe you can wait until then and then make the train or bus decision. (Train schedules may change too.)

You might also consider hiring taxi and go right from Bundi to Udaipur. From the map, it looks like it is about 200 miles plus a bit, so not a bad drive. With two people, the cost may not be that much, plus add in what you would save by not having to have a hotel in Chittagarh.

Sep 14th, 2004, 01:55 PM

Alan,
I'm in the middle of planning our trip to India and we're considering a side trip from Udaipur to Chittogarh. I was surprised that although you're going through Chittogarh that you don't mention the possibility of visiting the fort there. A friend of ours who visited it recently recommended it to us and it might be worth considering if you do go for the overnight option.
Sep 14th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, guys! Cicerone, I usually like the train option, too, but in this particluar case the "people watching" on the platform might be limited by the time of day we are there. From one to four in the morning may not be the best time to watch the world go by. I had a feeling that accommodation in Chittogarh might be had for a couple of dollars, and it would certainly be worth that to arrive in Udaipur (where we have only two days) refreshed and ready to sight-see. There wouldn't be much sleeping possible on the train for the relatively short journey (4 am to 7 am) from Chittogarh to Udaipur. However, I admit that I've always found your advice "spot-on" in the past (this holiday would not be shaping up nearly so well without your input... this is really the only remaining "rough bit" to smooth out), so I will keep it in mind. The taxi idea is probably the easiest way -- albeit the most expensive -- or maybe there's a direct bus from Bundi to Udaipur (apparently close to an eight-hour drive; even to Chittogarh it's four-and-a-half).

WelltravelledBrit, I would have loved to see the fort at Chittograh, but there is so little time and so much to see! If you really think it is a "must-see", maybe I will see if there's a later train to Udaipur and spend a little more than the eight hours at that hotel. Of course, this means some time must be taken out of Udaipur.... decisions, decisions!
Sep 14th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

OK, welltravelledBrit... you've changed my thinking. I note that there are buses hourly between Udaipur and Chittogarh (http://www.udaipurplus.com/outandabout/buses.htm), so what I think I will do now is to travel by train from Bundi to Chittogarh, arriving at one in the morning (ouch!), and get a hotel for the night (someone on another forum recommended one that's a "bit out of town", but, with a population of 100,000, I'm hoping that there will still be cab drivers or rickshaw drivers around at 1 a.m.... what do you think, Cicerone?). Have a good night's rest, and visit the fort you recommended. Then, around midday, catch one of the hourly buses to Udaipur, arriving mid-afternoon. Less bus travel than Bundi-Chittogarh, and only about five hours less in Udaipur. What do you think of that idea?
Sep 15th, 2004, 01:46 AM
Original Poster

I changed my itinerary to allow for the above -- do you think I'm being overly optimistic expecting any sign of life (taxis, rickshaws) at the station at 1 a.m.? Is Chittorgarh big on tourists?
Sep 15th, 2004, 04:01 AM

As long as trains are arriving and departing, you should find taxis, around the station; don't recall rickshaws but have only been in Chittagarh once many years ago. You may literally have to wake someone up. I might be more concenred with finding a hotel and/or hotel front desk open at that time in a budget hotel, you might want to research that now (maybe lonelyplanet.com) and send an e-mail or fax to a few of them for rates and making a booking.
Sep 15th, 2004, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Thnaks, Cicerone! On another site, someone mentioned the Pradap Palace, near the station but not as bad as some. I have a phone number, so I guess that's the way to go... a phone call from Bundi to tell them not to lock the front door (at 600 rupees a night, will they have a front door?)
Sep 15th, 2004, 06:07 AM

Boy, do I want to hear the trip report on THAT hotel! Even for India, that is cheap. . . .
Sep 16th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Trust me... if we live through the experience, I'll write you that report!