Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   india (new delhi) driver recommendation (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/india-new-delhi-driver-recommendation-1022110/)

supernova Aug 4th, 2014 09:40 PM

india (new delhi) driver recommendation

hi all. i'll be visiting new delhi end of this month for a conference, and would like to extend few days to see the city and visit taj mahal (return trip). i am a female and this my first time to india. do you guys prefer renting a car via hotel, rental car service (any recommendation?) or any taxi will be just fine. TIA

lcuy Aug 4th, 2014 09:55 PM

Your hotel or your conference organizers can easily arrange a driver or a taxi by the hour, half day or day rate.

However, I see you'll be doing this at the end of your visit. Pay attention to your cab drivers earlier in the visit, and if you like one, ask him what he'd charge. If he'll be taking you to Agra or anywhere else outside of Delhi, ask for a flat fee, including gas and tolls.

Make sure you get his phone number. Sometimes I would have the doorman or clerk at my hotel call to confirm the price and times.

Always clarify exactly how many hours are in a "day" or half day"

supernova Aug 4th, 2014 10:46 PM

thx icuy. very clear information. noted!

kmkrnn Aug 5th, 2014 04:46 AM

Also , if you use a taxi, note the condition of the car. You don't want it to breakdown half way there. There are few options for change once you have started the journey.

supernova Aug 5th, 2014 05:28 AM

Ok. I haven't thought of it. One more, any ideas for itinerary in delhi after 4-5 pm? My conference will end around that time daily, so i'd like to explore some 'must visited' places afterwards if possible. Thx alot.

dgunbug Aug 6th, 2014 08:43 AM

Castle and king provided us with a driver in Delhi and he was fabulous. We used tuk Tuks at other times, but frankly, as a single woman, you should not be on your own in India as safety has been an issue.

Live2Travel1000 Aug 6th, 2014 09:08 AM

We used Banyan Tours. Our driver was Purum (Sorry, I think I am spelling his name wrong). He was absolutely wonderful!!! We really miss him, especially in the South Florida traffic which is nothing compared to India.

Maybe someone from your conference could join you in your travels. I agree with dgunbug about traveling in India as a single woman.

holidayrajneesh Aug 7th, 2014 03:34 AM

I strongly want to say that please don't hire Ambassador car. that's it.

driverandcar Aug 14th, 2014 05:44 AM

Well, instead of going for any taxi you should hire a car with your required specifications. Hiring a car according to your comfort level will let you enjoy the traveling instead of making it a nightmare. Consider car rental providers who offer a range of cars according to your requirements and choose the most comfortable one.

jacketwatch Aug 14th, 2014 09:51 AM

Another idea is to contact Mr. VP Singh at www.legendsandpalaces.com. We used his services before and were very pleased and he has good reviews on trip advisor too.

perambulate Aug 14th, 2014 10:34 AM

Dear supernova,
Please the hotel you will stay kindly ask them to book a personal rented taxi for you for Agra!The hotels in tourism industry have all the information of the drivers and the cab they are hiring for you if you get me!In case god do not make it happen you know where to approach.Tell them you wanna be safe and would want to have a reliable driver.Oh and if you happen to be in Delhi by 31st August I am arriving by the evening as well.Taj mahal is a great Place if know a Auto Rickshwa driver who took me around in Agra when I was there I mean he was a nice guy fetched me tickets etc etc.I have is number if you may want just let me know.Bye.