Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   India inoculations, meds, etc. needed?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/india-inoculations-meds-etc-needed-714085/)

geribrum Jun 18th, 2007 10:42 AM

India inoculations, meds, etc. needed??

Have booked a tour to India in October and I'm wondering what inoculations, meds, etc. are actually necessary. I've read what the CDC recommends but nothing is actually required. We're going on the basic Golden Triangle tour.

I know there are lots of Indiaphiles (would that be the right word?) and just wondering what most of you have actually done.

Personally I've had Hepatitis A and B and typoid inocs for other places. And I've taken malaria meds probably 3 times. Tetanus is current I think. Diptheria and measles I've either had or been inoculated for them.

Just interested in what other travelers have done as a precaution.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Geri

rhkkmk Jun 18th, 2007 04:09 PM

polio if you are not up to date and malaria definately....we did the same trip last november...

nothing is required but have you consulted a travel clinic or your doctor?

geribrum Jun 20th, 2007 08:48 AM

Hi again. My family doctor sent me to the travel clinic and they simply looked at the CDC recommendations.

What I'm actually asking is what individuals who have travelled to India recently have done.

Thanks, Geri

Kathie Jun 20th, 2007 09:52 AM

Geri, you've looked at the cdc website and you've visited a doctor, but you'd prefer advice from strangers on the internet? Are you waiting for someone to tell you you don't need all those vaccines because after all, they didn't get vaccines and they are still alive?

The cdc website is excellent, and it is the standard reference for travel med professionals. So the fact that the doc at the travel med clinic looked at the cdc recommendations is a good sign. The cdc keeps recommendations up to date, and they report on outbreaks of infectious diseases in locations around the world.

For all of my travels, I read the cdc website and follow their recommendations. They are clear about what vaccines are recommended for everyone, and which ones are for people at greater risk than the average traveler (working with refugees, or working with animals, for instance).

It sounds like you have had most/all of the recommended vaccines. Do make sure they are all up to date.

NGail Sep 18th, 2007 01:48 PM

Geribrum-
How was your India trip?
What shots and meds. did you end up taking?
We're off with OAT in February. Did you go with them as well?
Any suggestions as to what to bring (or leave benind!)?
Thanks.

geribrum Sep 21st, 2007 08:32 AM

To NGail:

At an area travel clinic I had innoculations for Hep A, Polio and Typhoid, with prescrip for Doxycycline as anti-malarial.

Haven't gone yet, date is Oct. 19 and the tour company is OAT (flamed by many, but also has a lot of people who like their tours.)

rhkkmk Sep 21st, 2007 09:16 AM

we do exactly as our doctors and the travel clinic suggest....otherwise why would you bother them and waste your money??

rhkkmk Sep 21st, 2007 09:16 AM

india is not place to try and beat the system!!!

jjkbrook Sep 22nd, 2007 05:03 PM

went to a travel doc for my upcoming india trip - advice followed CDC recs - the only issue was which malaria med - malarone is 5x as expensive, doc said doxycycline can make your skin more light-sensitive - in the end I decided on the Malarone - the money wasnt so huge. Good luck with your tour.