Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   India - Immunization Update for future travelers (just got my shots!) (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/india-immunization-update-for-future-travelers-just-got-my-shots-417922/)

kittycatangel Apr 1st, 2004 01:30 PM

India - Immunization Update for future travelers (just got my shots!)

I just came from doctors & thought I'd share with fellow travelers some immunizations info. I got 2 shots and 2 pills.

1. Hepatatis A Booster shot (Hemoglobin) Got this shot in the bum. It only lasts for 3 months. Was told there is a longer lasting one but that takes more time

2. Meningitus shot
Got this shot in the arm. I was surprised about this because I did not read about this in any of the forums or travel sites but doctor said there's been some outbreak of this in India so so it is highly recommended.

3. Typhoid
There is a shot for this or a pill. I couldn't do 3 shots in one day so I asked for the pill. The pill lasts longer (5 years) too. You must take it at least 8 days before you arrive to country. 4 dosages need to be taken every 2 days, with completion 8 days before you arrive. Only negative is that it wasn't covered by my insurance. Cost was $47.60

4. Malaria Pills
I've read about 5-6 different types of malaria pills. However, the doctor said ONLY 2 of them are effective from the strains in India. They are Larium and Malarone. I have read about the side effects of Lairum and did not want that. Doctor said Larium has side effects but if you dont' have history of depression, anxiety, nervousness, you should be OK. I choose Malarone anyway. Malarone pills are taken 2 days before the trip and you need to take it every day during your trip and 7 days after you come back. My insurance covered the cost.

5. Polio
Doctor says I'm too young and probably immuned from this

6. Tetanus
Need this but I was OK as I already got one 5 years ago.

7. Dengue Fever
No vaccination for this. Only protectin is to watch what you eat and drink

8. Hepatitis B
Doctor did not mention this. From my reading, it seem it is only needed if you will come in contact with blood

Doctor did say that NONE of these vaccinations were REQUIRED. However, they are STRONGLY recommended.

SIDE EFFECTS
The 2 shots (Meningitus & Hep A Booster) gave me side effects, although I don't know which one caused it, probably Meningitus. Within 20 minutes, I became extremely nauseaus, dizzy, with urge to vomit, and got headaches too. I haven't taken the Typhoid or Malaria pills but I will post once I do. I will start Typhoid pills tomrorow. I didnt' want to do too much in a day! have to wait for current side effects 2 subside first!

Doctor gave me a sheet on general precautions, including swimming in pools that have been chlorinated since dirty water can seep into your eyes/nose/ears.

Doctor did recommend Immonium AD for light diarrhea, but serious diarrhea may warrant medicial attentioin. Doctor also recommeded taking Pepto Bismo pill once a day to combat diarrhea.

Though I'd pass this on to others since there have been many questions about it!

If anyone has any questions, let me know.

Hope this helps!

Your fellow traveler

jacketwatch Apr 1st, 2004 01:34 PM

Thanks. It is better to be safe, esp. when going to a country with substandard sanitation. You should be fine.

Kathie Apr 1st, 2004 06:34 PM

Oops! some misinformation above. Here are a few corrections and elaborations.

1. What you received as a prevention for Hep A was Immuneglobulin. It is not specific for Hep A, but a general immune system boost. It has quite limited effectiveness (months) as opposed to 10 years for the actual Hep A vaccine.

4. Malaria pills: there are three types that are effective in India, Larium, Malarone, and Doxycycline.

5. Hopefully, you and/or your doctor checked to see if you had been immunized against polio. He may have meant that you were too young to be re-immunized if (since?) you had been immunized as a child.

7. Dengue fever is spread by mosquitos, and has nothing to do with what you eat and drink. The mosquitos that spread dengue are especially prevalent in urban areas and are active during the day.

8. Just a note on Hep B - it is spread by blood or bodily fluids. People who are staying for a long time in third world countries are advised to get this, as it is easily spread by needle re-use (what if you need a shot or an IV in a foreign country?). It is also advised if one anticipates being sexually active with locals.

sandi Apr 2nd, 2004 04:20 AM

kathie - you got to the errors quicker than I did, but did notice the mistakes on the HepA booster, and the Dengue Fever being one of the darn mosquito diseases.

And because Malaria mossies bite between dusk and dawn, and the Dengue mossies during the day - highly recommended to apply insect repellent containing Dheet on exposed skin throughout the day; remember to wash off before going bed. If coils or sprays or netting provided, use these when in your room for sleep.

kittycatangel - though the doctor advised to take Immodium and Pepto for diarrhea, I would suggest you have your doctor write a script for Cipro which is for a "bacterial-type" diarrhea. Do have your doctor explain how to determine if you have one or the other (since I've never had any tummy grippers, don't know personally) so that you know. Get the script filled and take with you.

Enjoy your holiday.

kittycatangel Apr 6th, 2004 07:07 AM

TYPHOID ORAL Vaccine (My Side Effects)

So, I started the Typhoid Oral Vaccine last week (4 pills taken every 2 days on empty stomach) For me, the side effects have not been pleasant. I have been feeling very tired, nauseous, sore muscles, slight headache, sleeplessness, sinus congestion and I vomitted once in the middle of the night after the 2nd pill. Also, I have been hearing this periodic popping noise in my right ear when I swallow.

Pills are taken every 2 days so about the 2nd day after I take the pill and it wears off, I would start feeling better! Then I would have to take another pill and get sick AGAIN!

I am a very healthy person and hardly get sick so it's a strange feeling taking something that I know makes me sick (but will be better for me in the long term)

Note: These are just my reactions. I've talked to other people who had NO side effects.

meptravel Aug 26th, 2004 01:09 PM

I was just wondering where in india you are traveling??? and how, meaning trekking? visiting rural areas? or hotel/major sites?
thks!
m

mohan Aug 27th, 2004 06:22 AM

kittycatangel: thankyou for sharing your experience and sorry that you are getting side effects from the shots. I am heading to s.e.asia and I am still studying the cdc websites. I have actually been there many times and i never took any precautions. But I think i just might this time. I met a woman who went to india 3 times in the last 3 years and the following is what she told me. She said the biggest lesson she learned is not to self medicate. While in India, she got stomach trouble and flu-like symtoms, she started to take her cipro and got much worse. She said rush yourself to a clinic at the first sign of discomfort. There is basically no way to distinguish a viral from a bacteria infection for you. She mentioned the doctor she saw was efficient and very up to the par. She got much better instantly in that clinic. Having said all that, My family doctor told me to take cipro at first sign of stomach trouble. I have done some research on my own and i am bringing olives leaf extract and astragalus. These natural stuff are not as potent as drugs. I trust them and I have used them before. But what is good for me may not be good for you.
Just want to add that I went to india some 15 years ago. did not take anything and did not get sick. The color of the saris, the smell and the taste of the spices and indian music were all very stimulating to the senses. loved the experience.

emtravel Aug 27th, 2004 04:23 PM

kitty,
thanks for update. hope you feel better. We got Typhid shot and did not have have any side effects , only sore arm. But nurse did said it might be effects, so we are lucky.
I also recommend ask for Cipro prescription, our travel doctor prescribed it. However, the dr has t ocheck your medical history and if you like me take blood thinners (aspirin), cipro has the same effect. So if you take cipro, skip blood thinners. Of course consult your dr. But Cipro as anti-bacterial antibiotics is a good idea. sophia

Wanda1 Aug 27th, 2004 04:34 PM

I got dengue fever back in '91. I was with my husband and son. They both got a rash, I got the rash but also slept for about a week. I'd wake up, barely make it to the next floor and fall asleep. I was also under a lot of depression as I had lost my mom; needless to say I lost a lot of weight as I was asleep so much and didn't eat. Tough one to get. I guess I was affected more than my family because I was depressed. Just a guess.

susanwr Aug 27th, 2004 05:22 PM

There is a newly approved drug in US called Xifaxan. Budget Travel magazine says it's better and safer than Cipro because the drug stays in the gut (i.e. not systemic). This drug has been available in Europe for years. I'm going to ask my Doctor for Rx for my trip to India/Thailand this fall.

hfot2 Sep 3rd, 2004 08:08 AM

Skim before you leave and take along a copy of The Pocket Doctor by Stephten Bezruchka, MD and/or Lonely Planet?s Healthy Travel Asia & India by Isabelle Young. [Note esp. the discussion on the growing worldwide problem of antiobiotic resistance.] We have succesfully used levaquin [levofloxacin], prescribed as a broad spectrum antibiotic for treating both upper respiratory bacterial infections and traveller?s diarrhea.

Join IAMAT [ International Association for Medical Assistance to Travellers] [www.iamat.org] Request and read their detailed World Immunization Chart, World Malaria Risk Chart and How to Protect Yourself Against Malaria.

Visit a travel clinic, not just your regular MD, for up-to-date travel health issues. [Our hypervigilant travel MD, for example, knows always to check our itinerary for the amount of time to be spent in rural/rice growing areas to caution us about Japanese B encephalitis]

In addition to using DEET [Control Released Sawyer?s Insect Repellent contains less DEET than other products and worked well for us], spray your clothing with Permethrin before you travel. It?s difficult now to find high concentration Permethrin that lasts through the multiple washings we do on a 5 week trip, but Sawyer has the best we?ve found.

Read all the postings on drinking water and be sure to keep your mouth closed when you shower or wash your face!