Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

India: hotels in Jaisalmer and New Delhi?

Jul 29th, 2004, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

I am looking for some recommendations for a budget hotel in Jaisalmer -- hopefully, inside the fort. Our budget is around 400 - 500 R per night, and we favour small family-run establishments. Apparently there are plenty of these in Jaisalmer, so all we want, really, is your own special favourite.

Also, we will need a hotel near New Delhi airport, as we have a 5:20 a.m. departure. I know there are a couple of major chain hotels which are suitably-located, but they're WAY above our budget. Does anyone know of a small, family-run establishment which would fit the bill -- maybe not as close to the airport as the majors, but reasonably close, and preferably with a drop-off facility which will ensure that we won't miss our flight.

Thnaks (again!) for all suggestions!
Jul 29th, 2004, 04:44 AM

A good source for budget accomidations would be the latest editions of the Lonely Planet guides to India and/or the particular cities you are interested in. They have many budget recommendations. Unfortunatley, they don't list them on their website (lonelyplanet.com) because they want you to buy their books. You can buy their guidebooks on the site. You might also run a search or post a question on the Thorn Tree Posts section of the Lonely Planet website, it is somewhat similar to this board.
Jul 29th, 2004, 05:05 AM

Jaisalmer

Try Desert Boys Guest House

Delhi

New Delhi Bed and Breakfast
Ahuja Residency - Gurgaon
Jul 29th, 2004, 07:21 AM
Ben

We stayed at the Master Paying Guesthouse (in Lonely Planet) for about $10 per night. A clean, family run guesthouse, about 20 to 30 minutes from the airport. We had a similar early morning departure, and the guesthouse arranged for a taxi to be waiting for us in the morning.
Jul 29th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice! I will check out these recommendations right away!
Jul 29th, 2004, 05:41 PM

Hi Alan- the latest Footprint Guide to India is a really good investment (6/04). Purchased for AUD40 from Dymocks mail order. I used Footprint for Myanmar (borrowed from a friend) and it really is a cut above Lonely Planet for suggestions on restaurants, accom, places of interest and history. It is a great book for those who'll probably return to India after a small taste. ( I bet you will!) Happy days.
Jul 29th, 2004, 06:29 PM

Gosh Lonely Planet was our "bible" when we travelled India so if the Footprint Guide is better then I would seriously consider the investment Alan. A guide is really an invaluable asset when travelling India.
Jul 30th, 2004, 01:42 AM
Original Poster

Hi, Lyndie and Daneille!

I have a copy of the Footprint Guide -- borrowed from the library -- and I must say that I agree with you, Lyndie -- I had always considered the Lonely Planet books to be without peer, but this one really opened my eyes... thin pages and double-columns (like the Bible) mean that it can cram a lot of information into a size that will fit into your pocket, and the information I have got out of it so far has been GOOD. However, it doesn't hold a candle to this forum -- with people like you two, Jacketwatch, Cicerone, Samir_Anand, and Rajhelp50 to offer suggestions, I feel like I have my own personal guide books next to me at all times! I wouldn't want you to think, however, that I'm too lazy to look in the books (I know that on the Australia forum we sometimes get really basic questions, which anyone could find out just by looking in any guide book or even the atlas!). At present I have by the computer a Footprint, a Rough Guide, and a Lonely Planet (admittedly, this last one is fifteen years old).

It's just that I have learned that a recommendation in a guide book (this used to be true of Frommers, anyway)is often the kiss of death. Every tpourist from four continents jumps on the same hotel or the same restaurant, the proprietor smells a fortune coming his way, and the prices suddenly go up in inverse ratio to the quality which earned him the good report in the first place! So I think this forum is a bit more trustworthy -- and, anyway, after six or seven questions from me, you experts all know exactly what I am looking for!

Thanks for all your advice -- past, present, and (I trust) future!
Jul 30th, 2004, 05:24 PM

Alan, hi again! I agree with you about guidebook recommendations, however they at least point you in the direction of places to stay or eat or see and quite often the place next door or adjacent to the recommendation turns out to be just as good or superior. I like Footprint because it does not automatically assume I'm a budget traveller. There are recommendations for ALL budgets. Hey, isn't this planning more exciting than the trip itself, sometimes!!! I agree with you it is wonderful to have such a great knowledge pool at one's disposal. (bad word?) couldn't think of another!!!Great weather here today (Upper Hunter)! 18 crisp sunny degrees, no clouds and a jetfighter just flew over!
Aug 1st, 2004, 11:54 PM

Hi.
We also had an early flight at 5:40 from Delhi and stayed at a place called Ashok Country Resort. We got an all-inclusive price of $50, including 2-way airport transfer. I am not sure of your budget, but this hotel was fine to spend a night before an early flight. And it was less than half of the major chains. I got excellent responses via e-mail. Their website is:
http://www.ashokcountryresort.com/

Good luck.