India - Budget Hotels? 5 star?

Apr 8th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

India - Budget Hotels? 5 star?

Hi,
I will be traveling to India in May for work. (I heard it will be HOT!)

I will be in Bangalore for a week where I will be at a 5* hotel (something like $350.00 a night!) at the expensive of my company. I plan on flying to Delhi for 4 nights following my week in Bangalore.

I had a look at hotels there. Are the budget hotels really so bad? I should note that I am a female traveling alone.

I can stay for 4 nights in a 3* hotel like the Hotel Grand Godwin which is $22 a night - less than I would pay for one night in a 5*.

Any advice is much appreciated!
Apr 8th, 2006, 10:26 AM

Which hotel are you staying at in Bangalore? The Leela Palace? Taj West End? Your company should have negotiated a better corporate rate.

There is no linear relationship in India between the star ratings and quality. So anything less than 5* you will have to go by the experience of those who have stayed there earlier. If you are going to Delhi on company nickel, I recommend you take the 5* route.

Apr 8th, 2006, 10:42 AM

quite honestly----a $22 a nite hotel in delhi would be quite basic---maybe even less than basic...hotel prices in delhi are very inflated...

there are some guest houses that have been mentioned here by fodorites, but i think they were more in the $40 per nite range...
Apr 8th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Hi again,

I am staying in Delhi on my own expense... that is why I want something cheap! Can anyone recommend something?

Thanks again.

PS The hotel in Bangalore is the Oberli I believe.
Apr 8th, 2006, 05:39 PM

At the Oberoi ask for a room on a higher floor and not immediately on the road. The Oberoi faces Bangalore's busiest road, MG Road. IN Delhi May is off season so a good TA should be able to get you a reasonable hotel - i.e. not a 5 STAR DELUXE like the Oberoi but not a guest hose, something in between with facilities like swimming pool, back up power supply in case the electricity goes off, etc - quite cheap compared to their website rates. I would suggest looking at something in the US450-75/night range.
Apr 8th, 2006, 06:24 PM

i think the above was to be $45-75?
Apr 8th, 2006, 11:38 PM

Quite right Bob!
Apr 8th, 2006, 11:49 PM

yes budget hotels can be that bad in Delhi. We spent 3 weeks in India as budget travelers and Delhi by far was the most expensive. We actually stayed in 4 different hotels in Delhi, the 2 budget ones I would not recommend, nor the mid level one (about 60 euro). We really liked Nirula's at Connaught Place but we payed around 80 euro there. Some people we got to know later in the trip had stayed at the Yatri House and highly recommended that but i can't give a personal recommendation. If I ever returned to Delhi I would likely try that. I think it is around 38 euro for a double, so a single should be cheaper. They have a website : www.yatrihouse.com
Apr 9th, 2006, 06:13 AM

It's six years since I was last in Delhi - and I stayed in the Pahaganj area like on three previous visits.

Single room with own bathroom - perfectly clean - but the only function of reception was to book you in and take the money - ie, not a hotel - no restaurant, kaff, tour desk, etc. But who needs them
Apr 11th, 2006, 04:01 PM

Are you traveling to India for more business or to do a little sight seeing? If it's the latter I'd highly recommend just staying in the South, plenty to do down there. Here is a link to some pics from last February.

mrs-h.smugmug.com/India

This is just a couple of hours away from Bangalore: mrs-h.smugmug.com/gallery/1242699

mrs-h.smugmug.com/gallery/1342668

Apr 14th, 2006, 12:56 PM

I am going to be in Bangalore and Delhi for biz in May, as well. I hear incredible things about the Imperial hotel - an incredible art collection worthy of a museum and beutiful grounds. Their Internet special rate for May is just US$149/night. I should think it worth it (even out of your own pocket!). You don't mention whether you have traveled extensively in Asia or India before, but I can imagine that the shock of going from a 5 star like the Oberoi in the newly developed Silicon-Valley like area of Bangalore to a $22/night budget lodge in Delhi is going to be great - no matter how experienced a traveler you are. Also, what if you get sick or otherwise feel unwell or overwhelmed by the city or your budget digs - you won't be able to enjoy the incredible opportunity you have of being able to see an amazing country! Also - please use caution as Delhi (like many big cities) can be a little dicey for women traveling alone. That said - I am very excited for you. Enjoy.
Apr 14th, 2006, 02:56 PM

Here's another thought, esp. for that time of yr. which will be very hot. Do the cheaper hotels have their own generators? When we were in Delhi last yr. in Jan. and Feb. blackouts were not uncommon. You would hate to be in an A/C room which you will need and have the juice go out. I would think the 5* hotels have back up systems vs. the cheaper hotels. Anyone sure about this?
Apr 14th, 2006, 03:54 PM

I also looked on the Imperial web site in mid-May. For 4 nights, you can get a room with 2 buffet breakfasts for $159 a night. If you can swing this rate, you won't be sorry.

The breakfast is incredible. WE didn't need lunch after eating here each day.
Apr 14th, 2006, 03:56 PM

The Ahudja Residency is a nice budget place also. My daughter lived here for several weeks last autumn. It is across from Khan market...sort of South of the main areas of Delhi. About a $2-$3 cab ride away from Connaught Place.
Apr 17th, 2006, 12:45 PM

On "Trip Advisor" The "Master Paying Guest House" gets almost all five-star reviews and is incredibly inexpensive. There are pictures with the review that were taken by guests along with guest comments. (costs around $25/night) Here is the link to the reviews: http://ceourl.com/MasterPaying

Address: R-500 New Rajinder Nagar, New Delhi, Delhi 110060, India

I stayed at the Imperial Hotel in Delhi, so I have no personal experience with this guest house. Maybe some other Fodorites do. However, I know someone who is staying there this fall who normally stays at luxury hotels.

Might be worth a look?