Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   India: Best Tour Company (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/india-best-tour-company-721878/)

KATHERINEMAEPARDEE Jul 18th, 2007 08:54 AM

India: Best Tour Company

If you have travelled to India and recommend your tour company, may I have the name?

We are just about to book and don't want to make a mistake. Also, which meds did you take - looks like so many are required.

Thank you.

write to me direct at [email protected]

Craig Jul 18th, 2007 12:38 PM

Contact your travel doc for meds.

We used Compass Tours in Delhi and were very happy - you will save a bundle using someone local as well as having someone accountable close by if something goes wrong (and it will in India).

This is an open forum where everyone shares information so it is better to communicate here than via your e-mail. Many of us have met each other in person through various Fodors get-togethers so don't feel you are dealing with strangers.

Kenstee Jul 18th, 2007 01:37 PM

I've used these folks. They do operate throughout India.

Vikas Chhabra
Ashoka Holidays Pvt Ltd
Ashok Watika, Queens Road Crossing, Ajmer Road
Jaipur 302019, RAJASTHAN INDIA

91-141-2811747, 2811244
877-ASHOKA-1 (Toll-Free USA)
91-141-2811180
093145-12116
[email protected]

cjstobbs Jul 18th, 2007 02:06 PM

I used Prashant at India Invites; www.indiainvites.com. Very happy with their services! As far as meds. I've got all shots, Hep A & B, updated my childhood diseases, tetanus, typhoid, etc. We didn't get the Japanese Encephalitis shot as that was $200. We go to our County Health Department and they seem to be up on everything. My doctor sent me along with a dose of Cipro just in case. We also took anti-malaria meds and brought the usual stuff in our medicine cabinet.

KATHERINEMAEPARDEE Jul 18th, 2007 02:07 PM

Thank you for responding regarding meds and tour companies.

Everyone is so helpful.

I have met only one person who I communicated with for years but many others have been so helpful.

We just retired and are hitting the road big time but most of our tour companies originate in the states; we need to be shepherded from door to foreign door and back home.

We've travelled with Grand Circle, OAT, A&K, Trafalgar, Collette, Vantage and Globus that I remember and a company out of San Francisco that took us to China twice and Tibet.

We don't feel comfortable booking a tour in the foreign country.

Thank you again. As always, this board sets me straight!

vhs100 Jul 18th, 2007 03:16 PM

Hi,

Depends where you want to go but we stayed in a B&B in Delhi (would definately recommend) and the owner organised a local driver for us to see the Delhi sights. It turned out that the driver also did tours at more than reasonable rates and we booked him for 3 more days to see Agra/Jaipur. His name is Atma and I would highly recommend this knowledgable, reliable and gentle man who can be contacted at [email protected].

wintersp Jul 18th, 2007 08:58 PM

vhsl00 - What was the name of the B&B that you mention??

Thanks.

BostonHarbor Jul 19th, 2007 04:03 AM

Hi Katherine,

I used Yatrik www.yatrik.com (ask for Ajay) and can not speak more highly of them. Three sets of friends have used them since and all had rave reviews. I just got a call from one of them asking "do you know a Yatrik in Egypt?" One couple went on a very high end trip (Oberoi et al) another went on quite a modestly priced trip and both said they were treated like Maharajahs and Maharanis.

vhs100 Jul 19th, 2007 01:20 PM

wintersp - re B&B see www.delhibedandbreakfast.com

This is a great small (4 rooms I think) family run B&B & we stayed there for just 2 nights. Pervez & Lubna are a very nice, easy going and welcoming couple. They will arrange anything you want to see & do during your stay in Delhi - our luggage was missing for a couple of days and Pervez rang the airlines constantly to ensure it's safe delivery to us whilst Lubna arranged a driver and places to shop for emergency toiletries & clothing.

Lubna's cooking is superb and what is particularly special is that if you eat in, you dine with them and other guests. Pervez's topics of conversation are stimulating and we were treated to watching the latest Hindu movie too.

I arranged our entire trip to India via the net and relied solely on recommendations - this B&B was one of them and I was not disappointed.

We visited Delhi, Varanasi, Agra, Jaipur, Goa and Mumbai - happy to share more info if required - domestic flights, train journeys, hotels, rooms etc.

VHS.

Bonita Aug 22nd, 2007 10:17 AM

Hello there!

Greetings from a American woman who lives/works in India.

I actually have been leading tours India for various companies for the past decade, so certainly have my favoriteS and extensive network of connections.

Feel free to drop me a line. Happy to help. and Yes, do consult a Doc for the latest medical updates.
[email protected]

TWAontheGo Sep 5th, 2007 12:52 PM

We recommend Enchanting India. They worked long and hard with us before we ever boarded a plane for India.

The drivers and guides were pleasant and always helpful.

hlsam Sep 5th, 2007 02:29 PM

I used Intrepid and would use them again in a second. They try to be socially responsible while doing a good job of catering to specific needs. They also keep groups small and are very reasonably priced.

dutyfree Sep 5th, 2007 06:35 PM

bookmarking