Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   India and coffee makers (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/india-and-coffee-makers-489258/)

jacketwatch Dec 5th, 2004 06:19 AM

India and coffee makers

We will be travelling to Delhi and I was wondering if coffee makers are available for purchase there. This will be our 5th trip though the last time was > 7 yrs. ago and all I recall available was instant coffee for home use. As a serious coffee hound I need to know if I can buy a coffe maker there or do I need to bring my own? Thank you.

indie Dec 5th, 2004 12:09 PM

jacketwatch you need to travel south - instant coffee is sacrilege there :)

I did see coffee makers last year in some of the largers stores in Mumbai and Pune and I assume you would get these in Delhi as well. As to price and quality, I am not sure. Easier to carry a small coffee maker, you would need an adapter, but I assume you will be taking one with you anyways.

Down South many people typically use coffee makers somewhat similar to the coffee presses in Europe - you might be able to find those a little more easily.

jacketwatch Dec 5th, 2004 12:54 PM

LOL! Its a sacrilege to me too. We will be in Delhi and of course there are more tea drinkers there though I hear some coffee shops ala Starbucks have opened up in that vicinity. I hope i don't have to take a coffee maker with me. I guess my relatives in Delhi will have to scope it out for me. Cheers, Larry. :-)

Craig Dec 5th, 2004 03:45 PM

I own a travel coffee-maker. I do not want to bring it to India - I have not needed it in years. I despise instant coffee. What should I do? I am staying at Oberoi Amarvilas and Rajvilas, Sherbagh (expect tea only), and Imperial.

nks267 Dec 5th, 2004 04:52 PM

In the cities they now have "Baristas" which is the Indian Starbucks...for smaller areas, I did purchase a travel coffee maker (more like a travel mug with a filter) and also took some ground coffee from here...kept me sane for 3 weeks.

hobbes Dec 6th, 2004 01:40 AM

Take a glass plunger type coffee maker and some coffee then buy more ground coffee beans in Delhi. IN most hotel rooms you will have packets of only instant and no grounds. The type indie is referring to are not that easily found in Delhi/the north and are entirely metal so heavy. You can gift away the plunger if you shop too much and do not want to carry it back!

jacketwatch Dec 6th, 2004 06:52 AM

Well thanks for the replies. Looks like there are no coffee makers to be had there so bringing something from here will be the route to take. If I find otherwise I'll let you know. Cheers, Larry

jacketwatch Feb 14th, 2005 06:43 AM

To follow up witht his question here is what happened. My inlaws were able to find someone who could order one for them and it worked quite nicely. Ir even had one of those permanent filters. However don't expect to be able to buy one easily, esp. if you are a tourist. Coffee houses are springing up in delhi and it seems the younger crowd does what we do here, i.e. chat at a cozy coffee house. However don't expect to find Mr. Coffee!

Craig Feb 14th, 2005 01:12 PM

Larry, I leave in 2 days - how was your trip??? Any fog in Delhi? How about a report? I have already packed my travel coffee maker - don't want to do instant or tea!!!

jacketwatch Feb 15th, 2005 12:06 AM

Hi Craig: Actually we seemed to slip in on a clear day though overall it seems the fog has been giving passengers a break these days. Here is a quick synopsis of our trip. I'll do detailed later. Its 0245 here and I'm going to try to sleep soon. Still a bit lagged. The good:
It was great to see our relatives again after 7 long. years. There were tearful reunions at the airport.
Though prices have gone up it is still inexpensive to shop, rent a cab, have clothers tailored, eat at fine restaurants, etc. The 3 of use had eye exams, had glasses made and our son got a yrs. worth of contacts for around $210.00.
The bad:
We all got sick. My wife and I had GI upsets and my sons allergies kicked in with avengance. Fortunately I was able to get drugs OTC there there are prescription here and treated him effectively. I tossed my cookies 6-7 times the day we were leaving and needless to say the return flight was very trying.
The ugly:
Delhi traffic and driving. By far the worst I have ever seen. You need a combination of prozac and valium to survive.
The litter: We went to 5 cities and India has, if anything gotten worse. As my in-laws lament there is no civic sense. There was an article in the Times of India contrasting the overall filth with personal hygiene. That is even though the place is a overly strewn with waste and litter the average Indian is religious about his daily bath. Interesting. I suppose you control only what you can. Maybe that is why most homes we visited were exceptionally clean. Sorry if this offends anyone but folks it is what it is!
Best of luck Craig. I hope the weather is clear. There was a slight warming trend so perhaps all will be well. Larry