Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   India 6 weeks in April - Rajasthan :S ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/india-6-weeks-in-april-rajasthan-s-1005553/)

sansand Feb 12th, 2014 05:16 AM

India 6 weeks in April - Rajasthan :S ?

Hi everyone,

A friend and I (2 buddy) planned to come to India for our first time in February-March but our plans changed...

We wanted to start in Dehli and continue to Agra then travel over the Rajasthan for about 3-4 weeks in total.
After that we would like to hit down to Mumbai and visit the coastline (Arambol, Palolem, Goa and mangalore) and Hampi...

Because our plan changed we probably will arrive the first days of April. We've just learn that the weather will be so hot in Rajasthan to visit it. What a shamed...
We didn't want to visit Mountains or hills (north india)...

Have you a better idea to change our trip??
What can you give us as tips?
Also few of my friend who have been in New Delhi can't even recommand an hotel because of the bad service they received, Have you any hotel-hostel??

Thank you!!

jacketwatch Feb 12th, 2014 07:18 AM

It will be quite warm then and if you are acclimatized to that heat you will roast. Frankly I would skip it and plan to go somewhere else. India touring in more tolerable in the late fall and winter months. i recall seeing that several yrs. ago the temp in Udaipur which is in Raj. was 119F in April.

Good luck. Larry. :-)

jacketwatch Feb 12th, 2014 07:18 AM

I meant to say of you are NOT acclimatized.....

sansand Feb 12th, 2014 08:18 AM

Thanks for that! yeah I heard lot of story about boiling in Rajasthan that time of the year.
Do you have any other itinary to suggest?
Cheer mate

jacketwatch Feb 12th, 2014 10:20 AM

Australia/New Zealand which at that time of year is fall so weatherwise it would be cooler.

Malaysia and Singapore which will be warm but not Rajasthan warm! Kuala Lumpur is around a two hr. bus ride from Sinagapore I think and particularly Singapore is very clean. Malaysia has other places of interest too like Penang and Langkawi. You will find Sing. pretty expensive but Malay. is not bad.

Also consider Thailand which will be warm but not like India at that time though I would hope by then their civil unrest will be resloved.

Cheers, Larry :-)

sansand Feb 12th, 2014 12:08 PM

Oh.... Sorry Jacketwatch...
But we will start our trip in India...
So that's why have you got any idea where to go in India at this time of the year?
A friend of mine was travelling from Goa and around to Mumbai in April last year and told me was great...
Ideas in India?

jacketwatch Feb 12th, 2014 02:34 PM

Then in addition to Goa which Imagree with go to Kerala w/o a doubt. I also hear great reports about Sri Lanka which from Kerala is a very short flight. :)

julies Feb 12th, 2014 07:35 PM

There is a reason the British headed to the hill stations once spring hit. I think if you want reasonable weather, you will need to go to the hills. We visited India two years ago end of Feb. to start of April. My mid-March we had left Rajasthan because of the heat and headed north to the hills. When we flew out of Delhi April 2, it was 100F.

Perhaps Sikkim may be what you are looking for for a part of your trip. Or, how about Sikkim and Nepal?

Kerala might be your solution too because it is always warm there. Perhaps it wouldn't be that much hotter than other times of year.

pranks1988 Feb 12th, 2014 10:28 PM

Hello, I think you will be very disappointed if you will go in month of April its extremely hot there so it will be impossible for you guys to roam around plus it will be like barren land with drought lakes so If you really want to visit Rajasthan then you should wait till its monsoon season which falls end of june(can google it as I am not very sure) after which you will surely fall in love with the beauty of Rajasthan which is full of greenery and In Udaipur every spot is tourist spot. Same with Goa also you will find day time very hot there. so now its up to you to decide.Good Luck :)

sansand Feb 13th, 2014 05:31 AM

Thanks for your advices :)
Our trip in India is mean to be (more or less) 5-6weeks and will normally start the first week of april.
We want definitely go to Delhi and Agra!
We will probably go anyway in Rajasthan and if the weather is seriously too hot, we will change our plan.
Should we start on the "south" (Goa, Bangalore...) and the finish up in Dehli for May or the opposite (it will be even warmer in Delhi in May isn't it?)

sansand Feb 13th, 2014 05:47 AM

I am pretty sure that North Idia and the Hills Station and differents place in the mountains are stunning but I am not looking for this because i live already into the mountains, in the Swiss Alps and (absolutely sure that is stunning) i would like to see something else :)

k44skov Feb 17th, 2014 10:20 PM

I personally find Rajasthan too cold in Febr.
If you do go in April, you will probably find low season prices in hotels, do a search for heritage hotels or get hold of Alastair sawday's book Special Places to stay India.
You will find some amazing - also smaller - palaces turned into hotels.
A very unic feeling to stay in theese places

thursdaysd Feb 18th, 2014 05:17 AM

If you don't want to visit the mountains (where do you live that compares to the Himalayas?), and you, sensibly, don't want to roast, why are you insisting on going to India? Plenty of other interesting places in Asia.

sansand Feb 26th, 2014 11:03 AM

Cheers k44skov! I will have a look!

@thursdaysd : I live in the middle of the Swiss Alpes (I absolutely don't compare to Himalayas), a small town of 1000 people at 2000m high...
I'm just saying that, I live in the mountains so i feel going somewhere else than in the hills, indian mountains (which it is marvelous on picture, sure)!
Why not going to India? This is my choice bro, there are not only mountains in India and i want to see the country, the people, the culture... because I want to!

jacketwatch Feb 26th, 2014 05:13 PM

Thursdaysd is a lady BTW.