Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Independent Travel to Xian from Hong Kong

Nov 16th, 2000, 04:11 PM
EllyB

We are taking a cruise that ends in Hong Kong. The cruise offers an extention to Xian and Bejing, but it is a fortune. We had been in China 10 years ago and did not get to see Xian and had regrets we missed it. How would I go about booking a 4 day trip to Bejing and Xian from Hong Kong on our own. We would need transportation from Hong Kong, preferably private tours and 5 star hotels. Is there a company that would help me plan such a tour? I would already have my flights from Hong Kong to U.S. Thanks for any advice.

Nov 17th, 2000, 12:03 PM
Betty

When we were in Hong Kong last fall, we waited until we got to HK to book our China trip. We were going to take the Beijing/Xian tour but it didn't return until the day before our flight home. (a little too risky, we felt). We ended up going to Hunnan (sp?) Island and it was fabulous. The Hawaii of China. Real cheap too! (Only draw back on this trip was it was all in Chinese. My husband had to translate for me.) Thank goodness I knew how to eat with chop sticks and was use to Chinese (real Chinese) food. <g>

Nov 22nd, 2000, 09:15 PM
HKJudy

Hi Elly,
I think it's worth your while looking at DragonAir tours out of HK.

Check out: http://www.dragonair.com/english/hol...iday_xian.html

They also have multi city packages. I have a GREAT travel agent in HK who could handle that for you easily AND look up some other alternatives that might be cheaper or better scheds. for you.

Send me an email if you'd like his contact details.

And... please have a look at the HK/Macau pages of our site for pre-trip research info!

Judy in HK
Accommodating Asia...let travellers' experiences be your guide.
http://www.accomasia.com

Nov 24th, 2000, 03:36 AM
Amy

I second the previous message. DragonAir has great tours -- well-organized, good prices, good hotels. We haven't done their Xi'an tour yet, but friends who have all raved about it. We hope to make it there this spring. Have fun!

Dec 2nd, 2000, 08:35 AM
rich

Hi

As for the trip to Xi'an, correct spelling. I highly recommend Dragon Air. I even more recommend Xi'an. To me when I was there was the highlight of my trip. I did not take a tour though. I took the train from HK to Shenzhen and then booked a flight to Beijing for a week or so and then to Xi'an. I stayed at the Belltower hotel , most reasonable and accomodating. They all spoke english. I found a lot of Chinese speak english. I would suggest talking to the younger people in their 20's , they usually take english in school and can at least understand you.

anyway enjoy your trip. you will not be dissapointed with Xi'an, Oh BTW , I rented a taxi for all day. No more than $400.00 RMB's about $48.00 US. the only way to go.

Rich