Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Incredible deal at some of the top hotels in Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/incredible-deal-at-some-of-the-top-hotels-in-asia-429601/)

Cilla_Tey Sep 8th, 2008 03:19 AM

Incredible deal at some of the top hotels in Asia

I'm a leading hotel fan and the Nam Hai, Legian, Banyan Tree Bangkok etc are participating in this deal which will only last for 80 mins on 1st Oct at GMT noon. Valid from November to mid December only and 1 booking per person for 2 nights. May be very difficult though to get through or it may all be sold within a few minutes.

http://www.lhw.com/1928_SIGNUP.aspx?ext=1928

Cilla_Tey Sep 8th, 2008 04:40 AM

Oh dear everyone's going to think this is an ad. Should have used a different title. USD$19.28 per night for the Nam Hai, Legian, Banyan Tree!!!

Kathie Sep 8th, 2008 06:39 AM

Wow! What a deal! I signed up, though I expect you are right that all the rooms will be gone in minutes. I find myself trying to figure out where I could choose that I'd have less competition!

Cilla_Tey Sep 8th, 2008 02:47 PM

Kathie, if you're in the Asian region then I think the hotels in Korea and Malaysia will be easier to get in. In the European region it'll probably be Russia followed by South America.

Kathie Sep 8th, 2008 03:48 PM

Cilla, I will be in Asia at the beginning of the award time, but I have all of my hotels booked. I think I may try for a Mexico or US location for a weekend trip. We talked briefly about a long weekend trip to Europe, but decided that was crazy!

Kathie Oct 1st, 2008 08:57 AM

Did any Fodorites get to take advantage of this deal? I was up before 5 am this morning to make our reservations at 5, but the website was so swamped, I never got on. After an hour of trying I gave up. About half an hour later I was able to get on the site and it said everything was sold out.

filmwill Oct 1st, 2008 09:31 AM

Same experience, Kathie. They sent those who pre-registered an "apology" email and said they weren't prepared for the amount of traffic and as a result their site was was crashing.

They then went on to say that they were re-opening the promotion to those of us who weren't able to get in (via this email) and that we should "reference the attached form" which supposedly included instructions on how to submit a reservation request manually.

Fun part is: there was no attachment. :)

I emailed them about it and they resent me the same apology email with no attachment again. Sounds like these guys were woefully unprepared.

I work in interactive...and anyone with half a brain running an e-commerce site should know that when you advertise $500/night hotel rooms for $19/night, you might get just a little site traffic. ;)

Oh well...it sounded too good to be true and it looks like it was.

Kathie Oct 1st, 2008 10:55 AM

So true!

Kathie Oct 1st, 2008 11:48 AM

Filmwill, I went to my email and had 3 emails from them. The first one had a non-working link. But the second one, there was a webaddress for an adobe document to fill out requesting reservations. I had to cut and paste the address into my browser as the link didn't work. Take a look at your email. I filled it out - who knows if we'll get reservations.

filmwill Oct 1st, 2008 12:14 PM

I just got mine as well. I received a Word doc to fill out and send in at 5 AM tomorrow (the fine print says they won't start accepting reservations documents until 5 AM tomorrow.)

Joy. I'm debating whether I want to get up that early again tomorrow.

Kathie Oct 1st, 2008 03:08 PM

Oops - I must have missed the fine print! I already sent mine in. Maybe that means I need to re-send it tomorrow. I'm not sure it's worth getting up for a 5 am deadline again...

filmwill Oct 1st, 2008 04:15 PM

Haha...oops! Looks like you're going to have to wait even longer Kathie. I just received this from them:

"Thank you so much for your continued patience with The Leading Hotels of the World. We are extremely sorry for the inconveniences we have caused and regret to advise you that the USD 19.28 email promotion scheduled for tomorrow October 2nd shall be postponed.

Although our original back-up plan provided a viable solution for the 150,000 people who were registered, it was met with some confusion over submission procedures and timing. In addition, we have become increasingly concerned that a large number of non-registered respondents plan to submit forms which would inundate the system and greatly diminish your chances of securing a USD 19.28 rate.

In view of this, please do not email your form tomorrow. You will most likely receive an error message we have put in place as a safety mechanism.

We are sincerely committed to restoring your faith in our brand and do not want to risk disappointing you again. We are working tirelessly to develop a solution that will be fair for you and all registered participants. We will email you next week with further details."

:) Nothing more really can be said. I haven't seen a 3-ring circus quite like this since Barnum & Bailey.

rhkkmk Oct 1st, 2008 06:02 PM

wait till the next LA GTG....

Kathie Oct 1st, 2008 06:42 PM

I think they should give all of us who registered two nights at $19.28. Someone certainly didn't think this through!

tengohambre Oct 1st, 2008 06:48 PM

And you all mock lawyers!!

I smell a class action, but of course Andy and I will have to confer first, over an ice cold Singha or similar. Legal thinking is so very stressful.

JamesA Oct 1st, 2008 07:54 PM

Looks like someone now has 150,000 people's email addresses so that they can offer them future 'fantastic deals' !

What great data to have !

twotravel Oct 2nd, 2008 06:22 AM

I pre registered too! I experienced the same problems as you Kathie, I tried for 1.5 hrs! couldn't get thru and gave up, then received the emails, but no form attached !! then received email with the word document, ready to go at 12 noon today and then received the email saying postponed! What a mess, you think that they would have expected the site to be busy and had the technology to deal with it.
I agree with you Kathie those who preregistered should qualify!
oh well too good to be true maybe ?

Cilla_Tey Oct 17th, 2008 05:36 PM

It's on again on the 23rd!

Kathie Oct 17th, 2008 06:38 PM

We'll be in Kathmandu by then. I feel like I've already wasted too much time on their promotion. I'm not impressed.