In Ubud with a bit of luxury

Jan 30th, 2005, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

In Ubud with a bit of luxury

Planning our vacation for this summer in Bali. Also this year we will stay some days in Ubud. Last time we stayed at the Alila, was very nice but a bit outside. This year we would like to stay closer to central/in central Ubud with a touch of luxury. Need recommendations for hotels/ resorts in or close to central Ubud in the price range 200-300USD/night.
Jan 30th, 2005, 04:26 AM

I didn't stay in Ubud when I was in Bali (20 long years ago! Time flies!), but I have friends who have a quest house that looks lovely.

http://alamsari.com/rooms.htm
Jan 30th, 2005, 08:32 AM

I read a good review of the Uma Ubud today. I don't think it's very central, but it certainly looks luxurious -

http://www.uma.como.bz/ubud/default.asp?section=257
Jan 30th, 2005, 09:40 AM

5 minutes out of town is Maya Ubud - in your price range, look at the pool suites.
Jan 30th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Hallo Craig,
I have surfed around extensively today and Maya is one of my options as I also saw it was close to the town, have you stayed there yourself? Another hotel I have found that looks nice on the pictures is the Komaneka resort, anyone stayed there?
Jan 31st, 2005, 09:36 AM

Read the reply on UMA that I just wrote under someone else's post entitled,"Small and Charming Hotels in Bali...01/31".Happy Travels!
Jan 31st, 2005, 10:22 AM

arnesen - we stayed at the Maya Ubud in July of 2003. We had a pool villa (I meant pool villa not pool suite as stated above, sorry). Currently, a pool villa goes for US$324 including tax, service and breakfast on www.balidiscovery.com. The less expensive garden villas and regular rooms are pretty nice too. One of the things I liked about Maya Ubud is that it is relatively new. It is larger (108 rooms) than some of the boutique hotels in the area but it is well spead out. The spa looked wonderful but we went in to town for a massage. There are three pools in addition to the ones with the pool villas. The views of the rice fields are awesome.
Jan 31st, 2005, 12:38 PM

I just got back from my honeymoon in Bali--we were there over New Year's--and we visited a beautiful hotel in Ubud called the Arma Resort. We went there to see a Legong dance performance. The performance was spectacular, but before it began we had dinner at the hotel restaurant and took a walk around the grounds. We were very impressed. The grounds are beautiful, with little ponds and bridges and flowers everywhere. We even stumbled into a few of the villas, though we didn't get to see the rooms. The whole place felt like a lovely, peaceful village. We met a manager who told us that the hotel also runs classes on music and dance, including many for local children. The hotel also has a fantastic museum onsite, with the most beautiful Balinese ink drawings I've ever seen. The Maya seems lovely, and there's always the ultra-luxurious Amandari, but we told ourselves that if we ever get back to Bali, we're staying at the Arma. Good luck with your choice, and have a wonderful trip!

www.balihotels-bali.com/hotels/kokokan_ubud/

www.balinetwork.com/gallery/arma/
Jan 31st, 2005, 07:20 PM

Emmanuelle-Do you know if the Arma Resort has a direct e-mail or website? It sounds very nice! I tried to send a message to the museum's e-mail, but it bounced back. Any other comments about the place? Thank you for the tip!
Jan 31st, 2005, 09:30 PM
mjs

We stayed in two of the villas at Arma in november. Two adults in one villa and two teenagers in the other villa. The location is right in the outskirts of Ubud. Shuttle to downtown in about 5 minutes. Rather long walk in humid heat. We were not that impressed with their regular rooms. I get the impression that there are distinct variations among the rooms and some are fairly nice and others less so. The villas on the other hand are very nice but the rack rates were I believe about $350/night each. Had massages at the Komaneka which is right in Ubud central. Did not see any rooms but the pictures looked fairly nice.
Feb 2nd, 2005, 12:33 AM

Central Ubud (or walking distance to Ubud) is tough since available real estate is limited and the "old standbys" are, well, rather old and the new places are somewhat claustiphobic.

Komaneka is owned by the same people who run the Neka museum, art collectors and arts supporters. It's a very stylish and friendly place. The aesthetic is similar to the Alila, but it is very small and crowded.

Uma has gotten a huge amount of press because it is owned by a fashionista from Singapore. It is also very well designed, but extremely cramped. The ambience is a bit Japanese which is fine in Japan but in Bali...?

ARMA has one of the finest collections of Balinese art in the world and puts on wonderful performances, but as a place to stay I would put it in the a little worn around the edges category.

If you re-think your plan to stay in town you should take a look at Kayu Manis, which is near the Four Seasons in Sayan. I think this is the best new property in the Ubud area.
Feb 2nd, 2005, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your valuable inputs. What I perhaps should have mentioned in my initial post is that we will be travelling with our 9 year old daughter, some of the resorts may perhaps not be suited for children. Actually one of our options this year was the Four Seasons Sayan allthough it is a bit outside of central Ubud. Had a telephone to them, and they told us that The FS Sayan might not be the place to stay with children because of how the resort is constructed, and children was rare at The FS Sayan. So at the moment we are leaning towards The Maya Ubud.Still open for more information and suggestions, thanks all so much again!
Feb 2nd, 2005, 12:55 PM

I found this e-mail address online: [email protected]

Perhaps the management could provide more information about the rooms, since it sounds like a few people thought they weren't very nice. I'm sorry we weren't able to check them out when we were there.

Since you are traveling with your daughter, though, I think you would have a wonderful time at this hotel, if only for a visit. The dance we saw there was performed entirely by children, and it was magificent. They put so much energy into it and they were so talented. A little girl who looked about 8 was in the audience with us and she seemed enraptured. About 25 children, age 7 to 17, took part--either as dancers or gamelan plaers--and I was sorry there were only 10 or so audience members! At the end of the performance, the dancers lined up on stage so that you could take pictures and approach them. Their dress and make-up were splendid as well. I wish I could post a photograph.

We saw the show on a Friday or Saturday evening, and afterward we spoke with someone who seemed to be a manager for the resort. He said, "Come back tomorrow and you will see our courtyard overflowing with children here for our classes." We would have loved to have done just that, but unfortunately we had already made plans.

The only other things I can tell you are that the resort is surrounded by the most beautiful rice patties I saw in Bali---very steep and clean. You can simply walk to the periphery of the resort boundary to view them. There is also a pretty temple on-site, a good Thai-style restaurant, and as has been said, an extraordinary museum. Wherever you decide to stay, I hope you have the chance to visit ARMA, though your little one may not like the museum as well as you!

Feb 4th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Emmanuelle-hope your honeymoon was great! Thank you very much for the tip about The Arma, we will visit it for sure, sounds both fun and interresting. We are still leaning towards staying at The Maya Ubud as it has got great reviews allover. I even called them and they said the resort is very nice for children.
Feb 5th, 2005, 10:07 PM

We're going to Bali, at last. This is a splurge trip where we seek luxury, tranquility and beauty. How would you compare the Four Seasons Sayan with Amandari? Has anyone stayed at Damai in Lovina?
Any reports on Tonotoraga in Sulawesa?
Feb 6th, 2005, 03:42 AM

We have stayed at Damai. It is the nicest resort on that part of the island but not on the level of FS. Good but expensive restaurant. I think there are 8 "villas" in total all placed fairly close to each other. Ask for a luxury villa with the outdoor hot tub/spa. Lovina is not well situated for seeing the major sites on Bali. It is however a pretty good location if you want to snorkel/scuba at Menjangan Island or see the dolphins.
Feb 6th, 2005, 08:51 PM

Robbietravels, I think you'll find many fans of both the Four Seasons and the Amandari. The FS is newer and much bigger. They're both on the same river valley and have the same spectacular views. Both have wonderful private villas. I'd give the Aman a plus for service and for swimming pool. I don't like the restaurants in either one.

A new place that's opened nearby is Kayumanis. Also private villas with spectacular views. Beautifully designed. I'd give it high marks for luxury, tranquility and beauty. Has won a lot of awards recently. I haven't stayed there but did find the restaurant wonderful.

http://www.kayumanis.com/kayumanis-villas-ubud.php

I wouldn't go all the way to Lovina unless you're interested in diving. There are plenty of luxury beach choices in the south.

Tanah Toraja in Sulawesi is a whole different island, many hours away by plane. It's a profoundly beautiful and fascinating area, but for sure more adventure travel than luxury. There is also worldclass diving in Sulawesi. If you're interested, let me know.
Feb 8th, 2005, 01:53 AM

hi arnesen.
I stayed in Komaneka last summer. it's awsome!!! remote but central... I mean... when I get in to the hotel, I hear no sound from the street. Their meals are delicious, which is very important for me.
I really like the way they do the interior. simply nice and functional. and the room is spacious too. well designed and very thoughtful. you know, it seems like they put things on purpose. for photographer like me, it's very nice because I can take good pictures anytime I want. there's always angle to shoot.
it's very central, near to good small shops, the market and the ubud palace where they have different dance performance everyday.
my agent (whose travel with me) is very happy because this hotel have wireless internet connection. he can check his office out anytime he want although he is away.
Feb 8th, 2005, 02:03 AM

I forget to mention about travel with children.
I've seen some guests bring their children along during my stay. They seem to have a really good time running, swimming and playing along. I think Komaneka is completely safe for your daughter.
Good luck with your vacation!
Feb 9th, 2005, 01:44 AM

Based on the price range, I would recommend Komaneka Resort. It's located in the Monkey Forest Street, the heart of Ubud tourism area.

I stayed there, with my wife, last year for our second-honeymoon. In contrast to busy traffic outside the hotel, Komaneka has a quiet and peaceful environment, with harmonious placement of tropical plants in every part of the area. We stayed in "Pool Villa", which has a beautiful open view to the ricefield. It was a great pleasure watching the farmers harvesting the rice while swimming in the villa's pool.

Fortunately, it was my wife's birthday when we were on the second day in Komaneka (we stayed for 3 days). A bunch of staff came into my room with a lit-numbered-candle birthday cake. They threw the confetti and sing birthday songs. What a pleasant "unanticipated surprise" they made, even though they were not good singers.

An extra excitement: Komaneka has a library with great collection of National Geographics.

I definitely will return to Komaneka this year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO