In Delhi: Imperial or Shangri La?

Old Apr 25th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Delhi: Imperial or Shangri La?

We're going to be in New Delhi for work and have found similar prices for rooms in the Imperial and The Shangri-La. I've been in the lobby and restaurants of the Imperial but don't know if the rooms are as nice as the property. I have stayed at many Shangri la's all over Asia, but never at the New Delhi one. Is the Imperial MUCH better, as we would earn points to stay at the Shangri-la, and it is closer to where we are working.

Also -- one more question. Claridge's price is about rs2000 less than the Shangri-la. Would it be worth it to stay at Claridge's instead? The difference is only about $50 a night -- but it's also for Claridge's cheapest room, and we will probably get an upgrade at the Shangri-la.

Thanks!

Teresa
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 11:57 AM

If you found similar prices at the Shangri-La and the Imperial, and they are for similar rooms in size, view, etc I would certainly take the Imperial if it were my trip. The rooms are very much of a standard with the public areas, and the ones I have seen or stayed in are generally of a very good size. Frankly, I would be surprised that they are that close in price, but it is the low season now in Delhi. I have only seen the public areas of the Shang, not the rooms, but my understanding is that the rooms are smaller at the Shang, which their website seems to confirm this, as the superior and deluxe rooms are only 27 square meters, and the Imperialís smallest rooms are about 30 square meters; but make sure you are comparing apples to apples, i.e. not the largest deluxe room at the Shang with the smallest standard room at the Imperial. IMO two adults want at least 30 square meters for anything more than 1 night and unless they only have a carry on each.

The Imperial and the Shang are quite close to one another, within a few blocks, so I donít think you would find the Shang to be appreciably closer to your work, unless the office you are going to is literally next door to the Shang or something.

I would say that the Shang may have more business services if you need them. I have not stayed at the Imperial for business, and have to say that this is just my impression, but they seem to cater quite heavily to the leisure traveler more than the business traveler.

I would not stay at Claridges, I donít think the location is as central if you need to be in the Connaught area. If you do, I would stick with the Imperial or the Shang.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 06:46 PM

Delhi sucks in general. Connaught place is dead a doornail for being the center of the capital, but if you wer to choose, I'd say Imperial is the standard, ESPECIALLY if price is equivalent.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 08:30 PM

I love Delhi...would not say it sucks at all! Every time I go, I find more to enjoy there.

I won't be staying at the Imperial this trip though. After four visits in two years, I have watched a steady decline in service while the prices have nearly tripled. I'm trying the Oberoi this time. I love the location of the Imperial, and though we won't be able to walk around Janpath, I think this area will actually serve us well for shopping and monuments. Plus the price was much better.

i think I'd advise Shangri-la for you in this case.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 11:30 PM

I am a huge fan of the Oberoi and often recco it here; I would have included it on this thread, too, but I think the OP wants to be in Connaught. I just stayed at the Oberoi again about 3 weeks ago, same great service, of course rooms are lovely. There is no question that the Oberois runs the best hotels going in India, staff is very well trained. They have a marvelous spa and spa pool that you should definately check out. I agree it does not get all the attention, but it is simply an excellent hotel. Location does not work for some people, although it really is fine generally, there just is not as much to walk to like you can from the Imperial. Great Chinese restaurant on the top floor with lovely views as well.
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 01:15 AM

Thanks Cicerone- I am doing the 8 night special at the Oberois, so even though I know it won't be like the Udai- or Amarvilas, I'm glad you like it!

I'll miss the location and the front door people at the Imperial, but Oberoi is a lot closer to Khan market!
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 02:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Imperial is a great Hotel and has nice rooms. But being a Heritage building all rooms vary somewhat in size and shape.

So ask for the Heritage roosm at least - this is the second category of rooms (the basic rooms here are Imperial rooms).

Shangri-la is a nice modern hotel in the same area - but the point here is that a modern hotel like this can be found anywhere in the world - but an Imperial - with its old heritage building - old lithographs and paintings - has a unique ambience which is hard to replicate and I personally think that whenever possible - stay in such hotels is a treat.

Old Apr 27th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your responses. After much deliberating, I think we're going with the Shangri-La, as they've given me an even better price of rs10,000 with breakfast, and an upgrade if available. Since we are going on business, my husband thinks it's a better idea to stay there this time. Although I'm sorry to hear it's only a few blocks from the Imperial, as our work is near the Lodi gardens and I was hoping it was closer than that.

I have heard other reports of declining quality at the Imperial and am very sad to hear that, as I was hoping we would be able to stay there when we go back to Delhi in the fall. Perhaps by then they will have worked out any problems? The rooms DO look so beautiful.

I'm also very keen to try the Oberoi, I've only heard good reports on that hotel, but they are pricier than most of the other hotels, so I'm hoping for the dollar to rebound by the fall when I return.

Thanks again to all!

Teresa
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 10:15 AM

good choice....sing up for sh-la FF club for additional perks