Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   In Beijing for October 1 (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/in-beijing-for-october-1-a-465691/)

marywhitcomb Aug 8th, 2004 07:23 PM

In Beijing for October 1

Hi. We will be arriving in Beijing on Sept 30 and leaving October 5. We already have our hotel reservations. I was really looking forward to being in Tianamen Square on October 1, we saw what was left last year of the special displays when we were there about October 9. Will things be open during that time (October 1-5)? We are interested in shopping and seeing some highlights... and eating of course

Cicerone Aug 9th, 2004 12:33 AM

In my experinece, you will find most shops and restaurants open as well as the tourist sights. A word of advice is to AVOID the Forbidden City during that week if possible, and especilly on the weekend days. October 1 is a national holiday in China (as you seem to know), and most people have the whole week off. As Oct 1 is a Friday this year, I am not sure whehter the week holiday will be from September 27 or from October 4. In any event, that first weekend in October will be very crowded, and crowds at the Forbidden City can be almost uncontrolable and in my experience, quite frightening. Tinanmen Square was crowded but not as bad as the city. You might consider getting the to square at sunrise when there is a flag raising every day, and I imagine that on Oct 1 it might be a bit more elaborate. The regular ceremony is interesting, complete with goose-stepping soldiers.

marywhitcomb Aug 9th, 2004 04:37 PM

thanks. I was hoping that the shops would be open to accomodate all the Chinese tourists who are likely to be there. In addition to going for the national holiday and sights, shopping was near the top of my list.

gard Aug 9th, 2004 11:44 PM

Hi

My wife and I went to China in March last year and we stayed in Beijing for about 6 days. I have posted a trip report with some pictures on my personal homepage www.gardkarlsen.com. Maybe you can find some useful information there :-) Get in touch if you have questions or comments.

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway

r_shum Aug 10th, 2004 12:42 AM

Cicerone

How about the week starting Sept 19? Will it start getting crowd for tourist sights? I understand that some popular sights are very crowd very weekend.

Also, do you know the time for flat raising at Tian. Square? Any advice for going to the event?

Cicerone Aug 10th, 2004 01:18 AM

The traditional week-long holiday will either start on 26 September or the following week, so if you are there from 19 September, you should be fine. As I said, I don't know precisely which week will be the week-long holiday, as Oct 1 is a Friday. I have a feeling it will start on 26 September, but perhaps others here on this site may have the exact information.

The flag raising is at sunrise, which of course varies by a few minutes based on the time of year. Your hotel can probably give you the precise time; but you can look up sunrise and sunsets in various in Beijing for September by going to sunrisesunset.com.

You need to get there about 15-20 minutes before sunrise, so you can get a place in the crowd. The crowd generally forms at the north end of Tiananmen Square around the flagpole which is across the street from the main gateway to the Forbidden City (i.e. Gate of Heavenly Peace). A group of soldiers will come out of one of the main gates of the Forbidden City at about sunrise. They march around a bit and raise the flag and play marshal music. Not the most stirring event, but interesting and it is nice to be on the square when it is not very crowded and to see the sunrise over the city. I understand there is a similar ceremony at sunrise, but have never been, I imagine it would be quite crowded.

Mao's body lies in a glass coffin in the building in the center of the square and is worth a visit, if for nothing else than to experience the continuing cult of Mao as thousand file past him.