Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

In Bangkok For 1 Day - Recommendations Please

Apr 27th, 2011, 01:19 AM
Original Poster

We fly into Bangkok early on Sunday 8th May from the UK. We'll be staying in the Silom area. I should add that we've visited Bangkok before and on that occasion we visited Wat Pho and the Grand Palace, and spent some time in the MBK shopping area.

As we're only in Bangkok for a day/night (before heading on to Cambodia) I wondered if anyone could recommend things to do that are not overly exerting (as we'll no doubt be jet lagged) and also somewhere good to eat at night (Thai food).

Also, as a side query, does anyone know if the weather in the Krabi area is as bad as the forecasts (Accuweather) seem to make out - we're heading there later in our trip and I'm thinking to take rain wear rather than beach wear
We've been to Phuket at a similar time and although it was the 'rainy' season we enjoyed plenty of good weather then too.
Apr 27th, 2011, 01:54 AM

The Jim Thompson House is worth a visit. Silom is not the most convenient area for restaurants - others may weigh in with ideas but I would head to Harmonique by the river (near the Oriental Hotel). I have not been to Krabi but would expect the weather to be similar to what you experienced in Phuket.
Apr 27th, 2011, 05:48 AM

If you are interested in SE Asian Arts, consider a trip to the Prasart Museum. It's a private indoor/outdoor museum located outside of town, you'll need a reservation in advance. Only one party at a time, and a docent will show you around. It takes a couple of hours to see it. It would be a wonderful, leisurely morning activity.

For good Thai food in a lovely old teak house setting, I have two recommendations: Lana Thai at Face or Ruen Mallika.
Apr 27th, 2011, 06:09 AM

I woudn't pay too much attention to the weather forecast. I was in Bangkok and Krabi in November for two weeks and while accuweather said it would rain and there would be thunderstorms everyday, it was sunny 90% of the time. It only got cloudy/rained on a few days, in the late afternoon/evening and it didn't last long.
Apr 27th, 2011, 06:19 AM

jim thompson house is an excellent suggestion and it is close to mbk should you wish to return there.... take the skytrain to national stadium stop...

i like both harmonique and tongue thai and they are not far from silom, both being just off new road... not harmonique sorry, it is closed on sundays...

face on soi 39 sukhumvit provides very good thai food, as does kineree on soi 8, sukhumvit
Apr 27th, 2011, 08:33 AM

I would second the Jim Thompson house, nice way to spend an hour or so ( the cafe there does fabulous pad Thai) I also really like Face ( it is touristy but hey you're a tourist) and it's in a lovely old teak house. For me Kinarree was ok (sorry all those people who love it) nice but for me just ordinary.

You could also walk to the state towers and head up to the 69th floor and have a drink at the sky bar. EXCELLENT views ( but with prices to match) but good for a couple of drinks ( I LOVE this bar and having now done this one and the one at the top of the Banyan tree this is still my favourite. Beware of the strict dress code especially for men , no open toed shoes. If you do go when you turn left out of the lift into the restaurant make sure they take you out to the sky bar over towards the left where there is an actual bar and restaurant outside (down the steps)NOT the smaller patio/ seating area to the right. The views are not nearly as stunning.