Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   I'm going back to thailand! (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/im-going-back-to-thailand-685678/)

glorialf Mar 7th, 2007 05:44 AM

I'm going back to thailand!

Am finally beginning to plan a trip. Won't be for another year -- will go in mid Feb, 2008-- but as everyone knows planning is half the fun. I'll be going with a friend who has never been so this will be me playing tour guide -- fine with me. But this time I also have a BIG mission -- a complete new wardrobe since I am currently 30 pounds thinner than I was in September and I plan on losing another 25 pounds by the trip which will put me at my perfect weight. And my reward will make Reed and her crew at Cotton House VERY happy.

Unfortunately my friend can only go for a couple of weeks so we will probably only do Thailand -- Bangkok and the north.

And now I can get back into the swing of fodors -- it depressed me reading about everyone's trips when I couldn't even start planning one!

beanweb24 Mar 7th, 2007 06:26 AM

Another early planner, I see. I have been lurking since I am planning my first trip to Thailand also for February 2008...and I thought it might be too early to ask for help. :)

We're also doing Bangkok and Northern Thailand...and hopefully ending with the beach.

Have been discouraged so far by all the "no rooms available" messages I've been finding at the hotels I'm interested in...am hoping I'm just too early for their systems!

Happy planning...and CONGRATS on the new you!

rhkkmk Mar 7th, 2007 06:29 AM

BRAVO!!!! now we won't need to be missing you so much on here....

Kathie Mar 7th, 2007 06:32 AM

Welcome back, Gloria!

beanweb, you are indeed, too early for most reservations systems. The hotel itself can book you, or most reservations systems (like sawasdee.com) can email the hotel for you and give you a rate.

rhkkmk Mar 7th, 2007 06:33 AM

bean...don't worry about the room situation....rates will prob be available by mid-summer....you should have no trouble getting what you want...

a good room site is: www.huahin.20m.com
www.asiarooms.com

emails to the hotels directly will give you some idea about their fees...

gloria---you will make reed's day!!

glorialf Mar 7th, 2007 06:44 AM

I plan in advance because I use ff miles for the air and usually book that the day the date is in their system -- 331 days ahead. So I'll be calling about my flight the end of this month. This will be my 19th trip to thailand and I still LOVE the planning.

Guenmai Mar 7th, 2007 06:46 AM

I was wondering where you'd disappeared to. Happy Travels!

beanweb24 Mar 7th, 2007 06:52 AM

Thank you for the confirmation that I'm too eager in my attempts to book this early (although I was able to book the Marriott in Bangkok already...directly through the hotel).

I also appreciate the links!

BillT Mar 7th, 2007 09:26 AM

Gloria- glad to see you back- now lets see.... I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess which hotel you will be booking...... uh?????? would it be the Oriental?

simpsonc510 Mar 7th, 2007 10:24 AM

Gloria
So good to see you back here! Good for you... the new you... you will have so much fun picking out fabric and designs for that new wardrobe!

Have fun planning.

Carol

zengeos Mar 7th, 2007 01:31 PM

Sigh...my trip is alll planned now...now what do I do for the next 2 /2 weeks before I leave?

You are soooo right Gloria. Planning is 1/2 the fun!

I miss it already....

At least I can start playing around building a website or two ...but thats not nearly as fun as reading the posts here, and planning my own trip.

Now I'm getting sad :/

Mark-

jenskar Mar 7th, 2007 01:46 PM

Hi Gloria -- nice to "see" you again !

hawaiiantraveler Mar 7th, 2007 02:05 PM

Great to see you back gloria. Early bird always get the business class upgrades :)

Aloha!

MaryW Mar 7th, 2007 04:11 PM

Congratulations Gloria - you certainly deserve a new wardrobe - and what better place to get it.