Ideas for a couple of days between Kandy and Tea Trails

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2010, 10:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have 2 days as yet unplanned between leaving Kandy before we have a booking at Tea Trails (Tientsin) for a few days.
I wondered about going to Dalhousie to go to Adam's Peak from there or would it be better to spend the time elsewhere and go to Adam's Peak from Tientsin. (It seems rather a shame to get up in the night and leave that luxury of Tea Trails!)

The plan AFTER Tea Trails is to go to Nuwara Eliya, Haputale, Ella, Tissa, Tangalla. However, I welcome advice/suggestions from anyone who has done similar or who knows their way around these parts.
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 07:36 AM

I don't think you want to get up in the middle of the night and leave Tea Trails. I am curious why you chose Tientsin - it has the most beautiful gardens of any of the bungalows but no pool and no view.

We stayed in Tangalle at a wonderful private villa with a pool called Lansiya. There is nothing but jungle between Tea Trails and Tangalle, at least on the route we took.
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 07:59 AM

It's hard to know what to recommend between Kandy and Tea Trails without knowing your whole itinerary.

BTW, we stayed at the Kandy House in Kandy - we loved it and wished we had more time there.
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 09:12 PM

"The plan AFTER Tea Trails is to go to Nuwara Eliya, Haputale, Ella, Tissa, Tangalla..."

There seems to be a lot of back and forth here already... how many noghts on this leg?

I would think you will be much better off doing both Nuwaraeliya and Adams Peak before heading to Tienstin. You could stay the one night in Nuwareliya, and then head off to Adams which is basically an all nighter/late night climb, (ie if you want to see the sunsrise which is a must see), and and then the next morning you can head to Tea Trails to recover from the long long long day, night and tough climb.....

Suggest you also pre book a nice massage at Tea trails if they offer one.
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Craig for your suggestion - we "chose" Tientsin because in early January that was what is available - I'm assured that there is a pool. While a view would be nice maybe it is blessing in disguise - I'll have to walk or cycle!!
Kathie, we are lucky enough to have almost 6 weeks in Sri Lanka. We will have spent a couple of days in Negombo, train to Trinco for 4 days, then 3 days at Habarana over Christmas (with side trips to Sigira and Anuadhapura)before getting to Kandy for 4 days. We then have the 2 unplanned days to climb Adam's peak (Mohommed suggests these to be at NE)before a 4 day booking at Tientsin. From here we intend to get a car and driver for 10 days to explore other places including Ella, Tissa / Yala and Tangalla before our booking at the Galle Fort Hotel.
Mohommed, I'll certainly take your advice re the massage.

I'd really appreciate any advice re itinerary,places to stay, must sees. We are relaxed travellers who like to smell the roses and don't like tearing around crossing "numbers" off a list.
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 08:03 AM

Do you have time scheduled in for the Dambulla cave temples and Polonnaruwa? We stayed at the Kandalama bear Dambulla when we visited those places (as well as Sigirira and Habarana).

For Kandy, we stayed at the Kandy House, which was wonderful. It is outside of the city, so you need a driver to get you to the city.

I envy you - how I'd love to have 6 weeks in Sri Lanka!
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 08:25 AM

There is a picture of Tientsin's pool (which must be new) on the Tea Trails website. Summerville still does not have a pool. You can hike to Norwood from Tientsin - if you leave in the morning, you can arrive at Norwood in time for lunch. We did it reverse and were driven back to our bungalow after lunch.
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 06:43 AM

Tea Trails Tientsin Bungalow does indeed have a very nice pool that opened about 6 months ago, there's a good photo of it here http://www.flickr.com/photos/teatrails/4658323445/
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to you all for your advice. The walk from Tientsin to Norwood sound like a great idea. The pool and surroundings look great, Malik - pity we have a few more months work before we can enjoy it!