Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Adelphi Suites Again...or something different?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to be in Bangkok again for 5 days in January. In the past we have stayed at the Peninsula a few times and last time at Adelphi Suites, which had been recommended by Simpson510 when she first went there. Since there are no longer any great deals at the Peninsula, and because we enjoyed Adelphi, I was planning to go there again. All you Bangkok experts have great opinions on the various choices similar to Adelphi Suites and I was wondering if there's another one that you think is better than Adelphi and as close to the Skytrain or other good transportation options. Thanks.
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 01:49 PM

I'll be watching this thread incase our trip pulls itself together, We also have reservations at Adelphi in January and have not seen/ found anything recommended for the same price that beckons me to change yet.
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

How long are you staying? It looks like they have a good deal for 5 night stays. I wasn't sure if their rates were better than a consolidator's rate, but I think it might be the best one.
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 01:56 PM

Bob often recommends Chatrium, which is on the river. They have serviced apartments and the price is usually good. I haven't stayed there, so can't comment on the rooms, but it's a pretty good location.
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 05:27 PM

Me, I'm heading back to Adelphi next month, and then again in December/January for the holidays. I'm always looking for something in the Sukhumvit area that has the same proximity to the skytrain and restaurants (not to mention my friends in that area), but I've not yet found anything that is as good as Adelphi, for what I want. I don't want to go back to a hotel room after having an apartment with separate bedroom, plus the washing machine in the kitchen!
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Yep...looks like I will probably go back for those reasons. A belated thanks to you for the suggestion and also the suggestion to see Maeng, which we did, too. Do you have any thoughts on what is the best deal for the hotel? Their website or another one?
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 07:28 PM

adelphi is ok, but chatrium has a few more things going for it: #1 it is directly on the river in the same way that the penn is, and each room has a huge balcony... #2 it is on a larger piece of property than AS... #3 i think the rooms are larger and have nicer furnishings... #4 it is out of the central city, which i consider a plus... #5 the breakfast is very nice... #6 they have a free boat to and from the skytrain---not as often as the penn but adequate... #7 i think it is slightly cheaper than AS.

for in town i do like AS suites location however...

OMG, she is looking over my shoulder---as i write this i am receiving an email from carol from HI.... she will be mad with me...

i really like the marriott mayfair and its location on langsuan, with all the nice restaurants and central location. they have a rate of about $100 too.

ascott is another company with good options, but i have never stayed there...
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 07:32 PM

I always use the web site to book. I don't bother with the other booking sites. I prefer to deal directly with the hotel. They do have a special if you stay 5 nights.

Susncrg, Maeng has a new place called Side Pocket. I don't know if you know about this big change in her life. She just opened her own place along Sukhumvit, right across from the Landmark Hotel. She's cooking in a nice new kitchen. She has pool tables, salsa dancing, and I don't know what else! She opened in July, right after I had left BKK. She would love to see her old customers from the PL (which is now relocated at the end of Sukhumvit soi 7/1. I'm not sure if Nick is serving food, since Maeng isn't with him anymore.

Carol
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Is Chatrium the round one that was empty for so long? The photo on the website sort of looks like it. I do like being on the river and was considering 2 days there and 3 days in Sukhumvit, but given all our dive gear we have to drag around it seems like a bit much. I will look again at the prices, but it looked like Chatrium was more. I will check again.
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 08:14 PM

I think you might be remembering the Hilton on the river, which did sit empty for a while. It's just about across from the Oriental, and on the same side of the river as the Pen.
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 01:15 AM

take a look at centerpoint 10 suk. i stayed there last month in the garden wing, and i really enjoyed my stay. i got it on agoda for $70, including breakfast.

they have 24 hr. tuk tuk service. i never waited more than five minutes for a ride to suk, and never walked back to the hotel, as there was always some going to suk.

they have a full kitchen that is enclosed, so you can cook without disturbing your roommate. they also have a separate shower and tub, and a washing machine.

when in bangkok next, i will stay there again.

btw, i stayed at centerpoint wireless road, and centerpoint 10 is waaaay better.
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 06:14 AM

I've stayed at both Chatrium and Ascott if you need another two cents. Chatrium is new, well layed-out, but it feels just a bit too far away from the bustle -- which we were not crazy about. But the balcony rooms facing the river are quite pleasing (especially for the price).

Ascott has very large apartments with full kitchen, etc. We did a month-long stay there. The included breakfast is so so, but if you like to work out (not that walking in BKK isn't a work out in itself), it has an amazing health club, included in room charge. The walk to the skytrain is longer than from Adelphi, maybe 10 minutes. And of course you have all the traffic on Sathorn road -- but lots of motorcyle guys around to give you a lift.

I too miss the good prices at Peninsula. But do looking on Agoda, as we just scored a surprisingly low price at the Pen (it was 3 nights for cost of 2) on a balcony room in December.
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 06:41 AM

the chatrium is the 3 round buildings along the river, down river from the shangri-la hotel and directly next door to the private canterbury school. the building next to the river is the suites hotel part... it is set back from new road and is quite quiet...
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 06:47 AM

That's Shrewsbury School Bob not Canterbury. It's also near the Ramada hotel.
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 07:00 AM

We are booked at AS the 1st week in October, and the last. I just got an email with some 'special rates.' You might want to check out their website.

DH and I enjoy walking, so being in town, rather than the river, serves our purposes.

Good luck.

Sandra
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 07:04 AM

i just checked the rates for random dates in nov (25-30) and AS was $107 and C was $111..

as i don't walk much in bkk, i still prefer the river and the use of the skytrain and taxis.. its just too damn hot and uncomfortable i find, plus i am old and fat
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 07:27 AM

suns, Carol is right, the building that sat empty for 10+ years right on the river is the Hilton. But it's directly across thee river from the ROS and River City, not the Oriental.

Jim's comment about the Chatrium feeling "too far away from the bustle" and Bob's comment that "it is out of the central city, which i consider a plus" sums up the differences in preferences for where to stay.
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 08:44 AM

For me, central city is a must. I have stayed on the river a number of times, when first starting to visit BKK. It was so pleasant having breakfast along the riverside in the morning. But, now that I have discovered the central city, the river is toooo far away! Kathie is so right about the differences in preferences for where to stay, amongst the many posters on this forum. Isn't it great that opinions vary? If everyone wanted AS, I might be out of luck for getting a room there!

(I rarely get down to the river now, so I forget just where the Hilton is in relation to the S-La and Oriental)

Bob... I'm watching you!...haha (looking over your shoulder, see above post)

Carol (aloha from the big island)
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Oh no...now I have to think more. Will check out Centrepoint as I never thought to stay there. Great debate now is city v. River as I like them both. Thanks for all the input.
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 03:11 PM

hi friends any comment on the Centre Point 10 Sukhumvit. also i would like to know if i am planning to visit different places of interest in the city and looking for some good vegetarian restaurants. is this the right place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -