Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

I spent four weeks motorcycling across Vietnam- ask me anything!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2013, 10:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

In 2011 I spent four weeks motorcycling across Vietnam with my best mate. We flew into Ho Chi Minh city and having never rode a bike in our lives, purchased a couple, learned to ride them, then spent four weeks cruising at our own peril. It was one of the best experiences I've ever had.

I've made a Web series based on our travels if you're interested @ http://www.thegreatesttrek.com/

We've also setup a Facebook page @ https://www.facebook.com/TheGreatestTrek

Most importantly though, I'd love to help out anyone whose thinking of doing the same trip and answer any questions you may have.

Cheers,

Jon.
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 03:11 AM

Sounds like fun. Would not think this forum the best for your needs as most the folks here are looking for best restaurant or top 5 star hotel. Luxury is somewhat inconsistent with motorcycle driving. Frankly i would like to take a motorcycle ride across Mongolia. Flat, clean, and open highways; free flowing rivers, stake out a tent, catch a fish,...that sort of 2 month holiday.
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 07:22 AM

But lot's of us love to read about other people's travel adventures! I wouldn't personally ride a motorcycle (my one experience was a disaster) but it sounds like fun! (we did ride on the BACK of a motorbike for touring in Hue, and it was a blast).
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 07:32 AM

So, will you do more of this sort of traveling, but in other S E Asian countries? I love the "free spirit" aspect of this type of travel, although I'd go by car and not by motorbike.
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 02:01 PM

"Ask you anything" are you completely crazy? I have been riding bike for years and even with my experience, I would think twice about riding in Vietnam, but learning to ride there!!!But I guess what doesn't kill you makes you stronger?

Great website BTW I have read a few entries and will catch up on the rest. I am currently in South America and am sorely tempted by the Ruta 40 down the length of Argentina as ridden by Che Guevara. i haven't mentioned it to my wife yet though! Might be an idea for your next trip?