Reload this Page >

I need Great Tips for Singapore, Bangkok & Bali

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 11:48 AM
janine

To all my fellow wanderers... it´s my first time to Singapore( 2-1/2 days), Bangkok ( 1- 1/2 days) on my way to Bhutan( trekking for 23 days) and then on to Bali for 11 days to unwind....TipsTipsTips... please! ( I´m traveling SOLO) <BR> Janine

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 01:06 PM
Mary

In S'pore, be sure to do the Night Safari, take the harbor cruise on a Chinese junk, and eat chili crab. S'pore is also an excellent place to purchase a high-end, Swiss watch; better prices than Geneva.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 04:35 PM
phil

There are a bunch of restaurants/bar along the Singapore River. We picked the one that had the best looking crab dishes and a crowd of local types. Very popular spot. <BR>On a down note, don't expect much at Raffles! It is a TOURIST trap that would make Somerset Maugham roll over in his grave. Singapore Slings pre-mixed and served in a "Souvenier Glass." Go if you want to see it, but don't expect much. <BR> <BR>In Bali, have a "Rejistaffel Dinner" Multiple courses served with a group of other diners. Nice way to meet people. <BR> <BR>Also, if you wake up early one morning, hit the produce market in Denpasar. Great way to see Balinease life. <BR> <BR>Think about buying a piece of furniture and having it shipped home. My wife and I purchased 4 chests/armoirs for about $1,500 total (which included duty and freight. Put it on a U.S. credit card for the insurance and safety if it doesn't arrive.) One piece we purchased would cost $1,500, at least, at home. We found C.V. Menara (check the spelling) very honest to deal with. They are on a highway in Denpasar. Their showroom is a 2 level, more modern building. (Might have an orange colored outside.) <BR> <BR>Have fun

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 07:07 PM
janine

thank you sooo much!.j

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 08:22 PM
Made

Singapore: On a limited schedule, don't miss the following: Jurong Bird Park, Asian Civilizations Museum, National Museum, Zoo. <BR> <BR>Bali: I live in Ubud so feel that is the best part of Bali of course. It is the widely acknowledged cultural center of Bali. If you want to see the traiditional Balinese life you must come here. There are wonderful hotels along the river areas with spectacular views and with a very country feel. Use Ubud as a base for day trips to the numerous temples, dance performances and rice padi views and walking trails.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 12:01 AM
niki

go and see www.groovymap.com <BR>all cities info. bali- go to ubud ; bangkok get the groovy map; singapore- go to club street.

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 04:17 PM
barbr

Get on the SIA Hop-On. It is a bus that goes all around Singapore to hotels and tourist places including the Botanic Gardens and all the shopping spots. One price and ride it all day. Off & on. Own by Singapore Airlines. Great way to see Singapore.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 05:38 AM
James

In Bali if you want clothes made visit Aneka Tailor in Kutta. Otherwise i would avoid Kutta, permanently hassled and harrassed. Seafood restaurants on Jimbaran Bay for sundown are pleasant. Nusa Dua much more up market. Good way to see island is to take a tame blue taxi driver for the day. Do not pay more than 30 dollars Us for 10 hours.. <BR>Have a good trip