I'm back in Bangkok!

Search

I'm back in Bangkok!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm back in Bangkok!

Good morning, Fodorites. I am back on line and back in Bangkok. The Omni Tower is a nice serviced apartment place on Sukhumvit soi 4. The location means more taxis than my usual preference for the skytrain, which I've not yet taken, because it is a bit of a walk to the skytrain station from here.

Not much to report yet, as far as dining experiences. We had a very nice lunch at Jim Thompson house yesterday. The restaurant is now where the gift shop used to be. A very nice atmosphere. We had some nice Thai style dishes of cashew chicken, fish in sweet/sour sauce, tom kai gai (sp) soup and some shrimp spring rolls. A very pleasant dining experience.

I'm afraid I was very jeglagged yesterday and did not wish to have a big dinner meal. Son and I are both trying to diet on this trip!! Anyway, we had food outside at the big entertainment stage at the night bazaar, SuanLum. This is such a great night bazaar. Everytime I go, there are more and more stands open. I think this is the best place for night shopping. And the weather this time of year is marvelous in the evening!! It must have been about 75 last night, under the stars. Sure beats Illinois!!

Tonight we will return to Tawandang night club (our favorite). I'm going to MBK today, plus maybe Siam. We will see Phantom of the Opera at the Gold Class Theater sometime in the next couple of days. A friend saw it and said it was a wonderful movie. He, like me, had seen the live stage production on Broadway and also in Chicago. I think it's hard to beat a live stage show, but he says the movie is really terrific. And ANY MOVIE you see at the Gold Class Theater is very special, if you have read prior posts of mine on the subject of that particular theater.

I will report back again later.
Carol
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 07:42 PM

carol---i just posted to you last nite wondering how you were doing....sounds like you are in the swing of things again...

give us a description of the apartment...how expensive is it?? good pool area??

i've written down the theatre name again...i must try to go in may....where is it exactly??

have fun

bob
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Good morning from Bangkok.
Yesterday was a really marvelous day. I visited Pratunam Center for the first time. It is an easy walk down the street from Central World Plaza. The PC is similar to a bazaar, with all sorts of little stalls, but in air conditioning rather than outside. Their prices are really great. I know I will be buying a number of new items for my web site... who knows when THAT will be functioning!!!... Anyway, I was glad I finally got to see the place, and I will return there. I do think MBK is a better place to go for variety, plus MBK has a bunch of mall type shops and not just the little bazaar stalls. PC prices are excellent though! Cheaper than MBK.

OK, we did not see Phantom yet at the Gold Class Theater. We do know that it is in town for another week, so we will see it later. We did not go to Tawandang last night either. It was by sheer chance that we managed to have dinner with some people from our home town last night. Two of them, a couple, are here in Bangkok teaching English. Another one, the older sister of two former first grade students of mine, is teaching English in China and happened to be in BKK on a vacation! We had a wonderful time! We all kept saying how interesting it was that we all managed to meet up half way around the world from our small midwest town.

The restaurant we tried last night was waaaayyy off the beaten path from soi 4 and the Omni Tower. We had to take the skytrain to Saphan Kwai, the stop before the weekend market. Then we took a taxi for a short ride to a hotel called Karnmanee Palace. The Thai restaurant there was TRUE Thai, not a westernized version, and the wait staff do not speak English. My son speaks some Thai, so he impressed us all (7 of us) with his wonderful job of ordering a Thai style meal. It was very delicious. Seven of us ate for about $30! Imagine that! (no bottle of red wine last night)

The restaurant was located on the rooftop of this hotel. The hotel is in the Phayathai district, on Pradiphat Rd. I would recommend it for those of you who like to go to out of the way places! It was really great food and great fun. My son was sure to order everything "mai pet".. not spicy... and it was all prepared beautifully. The breezes on the rooftop, along with distant lights of the city, were sooooo pleasant. There was live music. It was a sort of Thai style music. Son says it's a style from Isan province, east and north of BKK. In any case, I think we will be returning to Karnmanee Hotel rooftop again!

My room at Omni is 2700 baht per night. If you rent for a month, you will pay more like 2000 to 2300 per night. My apartment is one that is fully serviced. There are some that do not include any extras, and you pay for your electricity besides. If you want your room cleaned, you pay for that. Son has his room cleaned every other day. The apt is a 1-bedroom. It has a separate kitchen with microwave, stovetop, fridge, sink, dishes, and a couple of cooking pans. There is a big hotwater pot so I can have my morning coffee quickly, or heat a cup of noodles for a snack. I have a separate bedroom, closet with dressing area, and decent sized bathroom. The living room has a sofa and chair and coffee table. I also have a dining table for 4 people. There are two TV's, one in the livingroom and one in the bedroom.

I'm not good with room dimensions, but I'd guess the entire apt is about 20' by 25' maybe? It is very comfortable! One of our friends who is here also, booked ahead through the Omni hotel on line. Not sure of web site address, but if you do a search on sawadee.com of serviced apts in BKK you will find it listed. The serviced apartment portion has a fax and phone number. You can fax to 662 656 8333 and inquire about availability. The friend who booked thru the hotel paid slightly more, but he was guaranteed a room. Many times the serrviced apt people will tell you they do not have anything available, I guess... so says my son. Son has a friend who lives here full time who is able to book his apt for him ahead of time everytime he stays here.

The pool area, Bob, isn't great. The pool is large, on the 8th floor, but not shaded. I don't care that much for the sun, and prefer to lounge in the shade instead, after taking a dip. There is a great healthclub on the 8th floor also, where you can go for exercise classes or work out on all types of machines. There is also a sauna.

Today's agenda will include Tawandang night club tonight. We may see Phantom today at the Gold Class Theater. The weather is sunny and warm, probably 90 degrees today. Looking forward to another wonderful day in BKK!

Carol

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

For Lyndie,
I just picked up a brochure for the Omni Tower. The brochure says, for online reservations, contact
www.the-ascott.com and to send an email inquiry,
[email protected]

As far as contacting the people who oversee the serviced residences, I don't know what to tell you.
Hope this helps. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. This is a very lovely tall building. Very modern, with laundry, food, mini mart, tour reservations desk, etc. all in the big lobby. And, WiFi is free in the lobby also. You can use the hotel's free computer or pay for use of one in the lobby cyber cafe. Many opportunities to stay connected with the rest of the world.

For me, the one drawback is that it is a little bit of a hike to the skytrain from here. If I have my hands full of packages, it is a bit inconvenient. BUT, you can ALWAYS get a taxi on soi4 as it is a very busy street (only 2 lane) but lots of traffic 24 hours.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 06:50 PM

sounds great carol...i will follow with interest

bob
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 07:06 PM

Carol...Do you have any idea of the size of the apartment in square meters? Maybe your son will know. Although I'm American, I'm just used to working in the metric system...all of those years of living/vacationing between the states and overseas I guess. The place sounds great. Thanks for posting all the info. I'll check this place out,too for my two-month vacation rental, hopefully, in 2006. It's just too bad it's kind of far to the sky train.Oh, which sky train station is the closest? Take care. Happy Travels!
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 08:08 PM

simpson welcome too town...

seriously. before everyone here goes nuts over checking out the OMNI. Do you think it is a good place for the general tourist.

I know you've visistied bkk many times so for you a placed like this is OK. but you even say it's a bit out of the way.. WHICH IT IS.. plus you have too walk by one of the shadiest sex spots in the world.. (not for children)...

I'm not trying too knock OMNI for the price and features it seems like a good bargain. but I see that some fodorites have the "follow the guru mentality" and don't ask the right questions.

----------------

where did you go too in pratunam, as I've posted before Pratunam market is not a building but a whole shopping district... word is bayoke tower.. the really tall building and the back side of the INTRA hotel have the best wholesale prices.. TIP these places offer the real nock off jeans.. they wont be shown but you have too ask.. obviously these products are ileagle too make. so you may or may not be shown the goods.. like fake ROCKAFELA jeans.

did you check out Pantip IT mall. great place too by computers and electronics
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 08:14 PM

orgy---how come you know about this very bad place along this soi?????
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 08:49 PM

Hi Carol-tks for the Omni contact info. Much appreciated. After 4 previous visits to Bangkok, we have a pretty good idea of where we want to stay. Right near a red-light area sounds great! My partner is excited, already!
Keep up the great postings! Have much fun!
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 09:07 PM

RHKNK
I may have been born in New England but I sure as hell am no Puratin.. obvisoulsy I've hung out at the girly bars.. Have you hit any of the bad boy spots on your trips too BKK ?.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 09:07 PM

RHKNK
I may have been born in New England but I sure as hell am no Puratin.. obvisoulsy I've hung out at the girly bars.. Have you hit any of the bad boy spots in your trips too BKK ?.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 09:31 PM

Simpsonc510. The restaurant at the Karnmanee Palace sounds great. Does it have menu's in english? Would it be good place for a birthday celebration?
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 11:18 PM

carol; how does this new place omni compare tothe grand president on soi 11 where you stayed last. only reason i rembered is that i wil be staying at the gp in april.

i stayed in prathunam two visits ago,and it was very very congested.

last stayed at the grand china princess in chinatown, and it was great. will post soon on that trip.

found a great place for those wide black blets with spikes that bob is always looking for in chinatown.. lol.

may i suggest having dinner at de dalat indochine on soi23 just about 50 yards before baan kanitha, on the same side. great meal.have the crab in curry gravy, lotus salad(if not on menu, ask the mgr about it)spring roll, and a large carafe of white wine would be a compliment to your meal. the owner madame hoally has vision, so be careful what you are thinking about if you ever have the priviledge of meeting her

i have been asked by my bookie to introduce him to her but i refused. i did not want him to benefit from her gift. needless to say, i don't do business with him anymore. his loss of myh business would severly affect his ability to travel once a week to the botego for his bag os ju jus.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 01:03 AM

Yes, Delat Indochine is right next to Baan Kaanitha, and is just as westernized0f that's what you're looking for-the non-Thai/anywhere international experience-then these restaurants are for you!

It sounds like S510 had an AUTHENTIC Thai dining experience at the hotel, that sounds very good indeed, and I'll remember that for the next time.

As far as Suaan Lum, i'ts very touristy, and the prices are high-there are many other markets in BKK, Pranunam/Silom/Patpong to name a few, that have much cheaper prices-but, these mkts. unlike Suan Lum, don't have a tourist police HQ made out to look like Angkor Wat!
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 02:18 AM
CFW

Carol, Do you have an address for Karnmanee Palace?
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 02:32 AM

Hi All
We visited Bangkok in January this year. Still need to post a trip report as I just got so much help and inspiration from this forum....became a total addict and still am. Thanks to everyone.

We stayed in a sister property to Omni called Somerset Suwan Park View. Also apartments and they seemed fairly new.Facilities etc.are very similar to those at Omni and we were very happy with the accommodation and the amenities. Price wise, I think a bit more than Omni .Round THB 3200 including breakfast which was large and excellent.
The area is great if you want to be near skytrain and shops.Apartments are situated in Soi Tonson,which is between Langsuan and Wireless Roads (parallel to them). An easy stroll to the Chitlom skytrain station( no more than 5 minutes, if that) and to the very large supermarket at Central Dept Store,but situated in a quiet area. Lumphini Park is also close by.I can highly recommend both the accommodation and area. We travelled on the skytrain all the time. Of course, many journeys down to the river and Sukhimvit Road area was only a station or two away.

I booked directly with Somerset via their website.A 5 minute operation, instant availability check,and no deposit, just credit card details. They were also super efficient when we had to modify our booking due to the Tsunami.

Website is
http://www.the-ascott.com/OurResi/Re...merset&r=2
Carol,I'm so enjoying reading your reports. We loved Thailand and were surprised at how much we enjoyed Bangkok. Longing to return.
Cheers for now.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 02:50 AM

for a first timer:would you recomend the Caslypso or the Mambo cabaret (with teenager)? Is it for dinner, drinks, both or just show? Where to eat near the hotels where the cabarets are? touristy; I know, but we are and it sounds like fun..........thanks.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 04:16 AM

Go to the Calypso Cabaret (In the Asia Hotel)- its a classy show your teen will enjoy it. Skip the dinner show and do the cocktail show- $25. bring your camera as they allow picture taking especially after the show the performers line up as you exit and you can get your picture taken with them (tip them a bit). Its a small theater so most of the seats are good.
Dancing, singing, show tunes, great costumes- you will have a blast. All in good taste.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 06:42 AM

there are lots of apartments in the laung suan area....we looked at centre point and marriott mayfair....marriott was our choice....more expensive
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 07:55 AM

janak... is your teen a male or female.. ohh I don't want too go anywere too personal but does your teen F/M spacifically want too see hot looking lady boys and homaphrodites dance on stage..
========
SPYGIRL.. you can lay off kuranosuke he's one of the coolest guys I know and he'll eat anything anywhere.

Kuran---- whats up with the report.. If you don't write something up, I will, and you know what happened before. abvousoy you will need too censor 90 of my actions...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -