I know its a boring question, Langkawi hotel help, really can't decide

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so flight to SE booked (yeah) we have 4 nights in Langkawi late November.
I was all set for staying at the meritus, well the BF starts nosing around and decides he doesn't want to stay there (like, since when did he get to have an opinion!!!)
anyway he wants to stay at The Datai, I quite fancy the 4S (but not sure i want to spring $540 +tax per night) and Karen and Bon mentioned the Tanjung Rhu resorts which looks lovely.
I personally think they all look a bit too remote (and i was supposed to be keeping hold of my budget this time)
But as the BF says we can get taxis..
my questions are
Are they very far in taxis to local restuarants (round the Pelangi area i guess)
Will i feel like i am in Malaysia in these hotels. (as Gpanda said this morning in one of his hotel reviews he could be in Fort Ld)
Appreciate your input
X
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

that should say flight to SE ASIA booked
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 04:47 PM

If the BF is paying, then stay at the Datai.

It's been quite a few years since I was there last, but I don't think much has changed, and when I was there, taxis were few and far between at the remote resorts.

I stayed at the Sheraton Perdana, which is now a Westin. It's right around the corner - literally - from the ferry pier in Kuah, but could just as well have been on the other side of the island. It felt very tranquil and relaxed, yet I could walk around the point and be in a shopping mall (watch out for the monkeys). The room was fabulous, especially for the price at the time. There isn't really much of a beach there, though.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 09:22 PM
Original Poster

Michael
Alas i pay for all the holidays!!!
I read a report on TA that the westin pool area gets very crowded and they run out of sunbeds. That put me off a bit!! website photos look gorgeous though...
Assuming we could get the hotel to sort a cab going to main area , how eay do you think it would be getting cabs back?
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 10:19 PM

I love the Bon Ton Resort in langkawi, it is a small property with only 7 cottages, each is a restored Teak house which has been brought to the property by the Australian owner.
It is very private, the cottages fitted with antiques and walking distance to the township of Cenang where you can enjoy great seafood dinners for very little.
Nothing like Tanjun Rhu or other big resorts, but a piece of Heaven!
You can google it. Enjoy!
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Original Poster

S many thanks . I have considered Bon Ton but when i tried its full!!! which is a shame as it looks fantastic. I may drop them an email to see if they have had any cancellations
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 02:29 AM

My personal and very hunble opinion is that if you want a nice beach resort hotel without going to very high rates the Pelangi Resort is real nice. That is now the Meritus Pelangi.

It is tropical in style, nice pools, plenty of garden areas, great Thai restaurant ( plus other places to eat ) and a nice beach bar / restaurant where they do BBQ on the beach. It's just south from the airport and there were ( a few years back now ) other places to eat. It's a busier part but that is relative, because Langkawi is very quiet anyway, so even busier area it is still going to be quiet. That's my 1RM worth.

http://www.pelangibeachresort.com/me...to_gallery.asp
Says Thai restaurant still there.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 02:32 AM

I know this will confuse things, but if you have more than a week did you think about splitting the time with say Koh lanta (Thailand ), it's just 1 hr 30mins by ferry from Langkawi to Saturn, drive and ferry onto Koh lanta, might makes a bit of a change if you have say a couple of weeks.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

James
I am with you, in fact it was you who suggested it and i am more than happy with Meritus. Think it looks great value, good location and a decent price. I am going to try and persuade the BF as i really do not want to pay double for remote!!!
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

oh and we only have 4 days then on to Penang (staying at the E & O)
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 03:38 AM

Have stayed at both The Datai (we got married there) and the Tanjung Rhu. The Datai is fantastic, but meals etc. are v.expensive. the Tanjung Rhu was nice but simply not in the same class. If money is no object then The Datai would be my first choice, followed by the 4 Seasons. I wouldn't worry too much about the distance from local restaurants as they aren't that special, apart from a few local Chinese/Malay places in Kuah.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Crellston
Thanks for the info, think i am going to spring for the Datai.
Hope you are enjoying your trip? where are you now?
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 10:02 PM

Hi Smeagol. Yes, we really are enjoing our trip. We have just arrived in Christchurch, New Zealand after spending 6 weeks in Australia. We are just about to sort out a motorhome which will be our home for the next 2 months.
BTW, just after posting on you thread I picked up a magazine which said that the Datai is about to start on a $15million refurb. You may want to check out with the hotel to see whether this will affect you.

Old Jun 6th, 2008, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

Anyone got any info on Bon ton resort? that looks unique and a special place?

Crellston, do you have a blog?
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 04:14 PM

Hi Smeagol,
I have stayed at Bon Ton and recomend it, the cottages are all different and beautifuly decked out.
It is a quiet place and they realy look after you, you feel like a personal guest.
Whilst sitting around the pool they bring you iced water, early afternoon they bring fresh fruit and around 5pm they bring yummy snacks to get you in the mood for dinner. (if you are on your balcony they also bring the snacks)
The only downside, is Cats.....if you hate cats don't go there. they have a cat rescue centre, and the place has many cats who beleive they own it. They are very clean and a vet checks each of them every day. They also have a dog rescue centre, but the dogs are kept in an enclosure, mind they do walk them and it is pobbile for you to interact with them.
The other great thing is its proximity to the little seaside town where the food is inexpensive and very good.
We hired a small car for the week we were there, it cost us AUD$80 including petrol, each day we took ourselves of for a few hours, we loved the Cable Car, it is a MUST, also there is an interesting museum where all the State gifts for Malaysia are stores, very impressive.
So it you don't mind th eodd cat, Bon Ton is perfect. Not for families, just couples.
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 08:39 PM

Smeagol - here is a link to our blog which covers both our time in Sierra Leone last year and our current round the world trip.

http://www.travelpod.com/members/candcthai

PS I would agree that Bon Ton is a great place. We have tried to stay there a number of times but it has always been fully booked.
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 02:59 AM

smeagol,
I'm dealing with the mess of the cancelled flights on Thai Air right now. Will have exact dates of travel within the next few days. Expect to be in Langkawi and Penang in mid/late-November. Do you know exactly when you will be there. My dates will likely be Nov 13-20.
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

I am SOOOO confused now. I have a reservation at the Datai. (which i am sure is fantastic) but i can't help wondering about
a) its remote! B) its VERY expensive

Bon Ton looks lovely but NO BEACH VIEWS, looks a bit basic BUT looks unique and very Malaysian. Have heard the service is great!!!
Location looks better for evening walks into town???? I really need to make my mind up of the house i want will be gone!!!!
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Crell

Having read some of your excellent blog, i had to laugh about your reference to Solihull, I went to school there.......

Do you think Penang is wort a 4 days visit (well 3.5 if i catch the afternoon ferry) staying at the E & O?
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 06:32 PM

Friends of ours stayed in langkawi a couple of years back and rave about Costa Del mar (or something spelt or said similar). It is a boutique style hotel with very good reviews on Trip advisor

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -