Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

I have 1,000,000.00 dollars to spend in Japan, Help me spend it!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 05:04 AM
morgen

HI i was wondering how should i spend a million dollers in japan, give me websites for prices for anything in japan<BR> this is a project for school

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 06:13 AM
Florence

Bonjour Morgen,<BR><BR>How much time do you have to spend them ? By buying antiques or pieces of art by a "living national treasure", you can easily spend much more than that in a few minutes ... See the "Virtual craft museum" at www.jinjapan.org for an idea of what I'm talkin about.<BR><BR>Seriously, look at www.jinjapan.org for statistics and all kinds of informations about Japan, www.jnto.go.jp for the prices of everyday commodities for travellers (food, transportation, hotel, entrance fees, etc.), www.japantimes.co.jp for daily informations. <BR><BR>Try to refine your question: how long do you have to spend your money, what are your interests, etc. and I'm sure you'll get lots of interesting suggestions and help.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 06:54 AM
Mike Weston

Just returned from Thailand, Vietnam, and Japan. If your claim is true I suggest that your money will go a very long way in Vietnam and Thailand. In Japan, the ink on your buck will not dry before it is taken by the Japanese economy, but since you have the money, I would first check into a traditional Ryokan ( a traditional Japanese Hotel ) and experience the ultimate Japanese Female feet and body rub. Then head to the Takaragawa Onsen. Onsens are Hot Springs in the Northwest of the country. For the ultimate under water Hot Spring meneral massage and be pampered by beautiful Japanese women in there twenties day and night. Then I would go traveling by rail all around the country tasting every delacacy. Then return to Tokyo to go to the Producers Box in Ginza. There you can make your own X rated movie. You can pick out three girls out of fifty that are shown through a window once you enter a wonderful lounge. I did this it and it was great. What an experience. <BR><BR>I could tell you more but there is no time for me to do this.<BR>But if you need a guide, be sure to let me know. I be more than willing to go to Asia again.<BR>In Thailand and Vietnam I am an expert in acheiving the ultimate goal of life.<BR>Only if you where my friend, I could show you how to hang on to your money while doing this.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 06:59 AM
morgen

Thank you that helps alot, I was going to spend a month. I already have my 1st class ticket and I am staying at a resort that costs 110,000 yen a night and the restuarants are running 15,000 yen per dinner. I am riding royal class on the trains extra surcharge for sleeping car. I still have lots of money to spend how about websites for purchasing pearls or electronics. THank you Morgan

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 08:21 AM
Apiwat

Hey Morgen,<BR><BR>Go to the Tukiji fish market(Tokyo), very early in the morning, and out bid everybody for the tuna. Doubt if 1 million bucks will last you longer than an hour there. A prime bluefin tuna, dressed, will cost you $80,000 a fish! Good subject for a school - how money and greed is destroying the tuna population of the world.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 09:23 AM
Florence

Fun project ...<BR><BR>At your rate, hotel and dinner amount only to $ 40'000.-. Even counting the price of the plane and luxury train transportation, you haven't spent much to date. I would suggest hiring a private car and driver for the duration of the stay, except inside Tokyo and Osaka where the only viable solution is helicopter. Then don't forget golfing in a posh club: a day in a country club around Hakone should cost you a few thousands $.<BR><BR>Japan is not the best place for pearls anymore (Australia is these times), but you can do a search with www.google.com for Mikimoto. The pearl and precious stones district in Tokyo is around Okachimachi station on the Yamanote line, searching with those words should bring information. <BR><BR>For electronics, do a search for Akihabara, the "electric town", or for Sony, Panasonic, or for a specific product. <BR><BR>But, frankly, all this is small fry. I'd definitely go the precious and rare antiques way (swords, Jomon statues, ...).<BR><BR>

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 10:33 AM
morgen

These are great suggestions, I am looking up rare antiques now, keep the ideas coming.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 11:25 AM
philip

Tokyo, Geisha Girls, 3 day weekend. <BR><BR>You figure out the rest.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 12:49 PM
moron

Hi I have a billion dollars to spend. Tell me how to spend it in Japan.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 04:14 PM
pj

Well I hate responding to morons but I thought trolls could read!!!!!!!!!! If you read the post this is a school project!!!!! Well moron do you want to help or is this your social life being a troll.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 04:24 PM
samurai

Great, there is no better place in the world than a message board like this to seek professional opinion on what to purchase in Japan. What kind of school project is that, pj?<BR>

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 08:47 PM
Florence

Samurai, have you never played "if I should win the lottery, I'd ..." ?

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 02:04 AM
Florence

If I had 1 million $ to spend in only one month, I would not so much splurge in luxury accomodations and transportations but I'd round up some of the best craftmen in order to design a house in a traditional style, complete with furniture, paintings, ceramics, woodwork, and a small courtyard garden. Then I'd buy some antiques, or have some replications made, all the necessary implements, ship them back home, hire and fly a few craftmen to my hometown and have my house built … <BR>

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 05:18 PM
nippon

Go buy an apt in Ginza. You'd probably get a huge size of 600 sq ft.