Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   I found a lovely small hotel in Bkk (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/i-found-a-lovely-small-hotel-in-bkk-543223/)

thaiexpat Jul 11th, 2005 06:24 AM

I found a lovely small hotel in Bkk

I found this article about a new small/boutique hotel in Bangkok which may be helpful to you. I've already checked their website, sounds like a great find (even if they haven't posted pictures yet)... enjoy! P.S. Does anybody have any more info. on this place, i.e. has anyone stayed there yet?

---------------------------------------------

The Old Bangkok Inn is either the homeliest boutique hotel in Bangkok, or the most luxurious bed and breakfast—we’re still not sure. The location, just off-Rajadamnern Avenue is the last vestige of old Bangkok, preserved during the city’s modernization. The location, down the sleepy side of Phra Sumeru Road, is fairly well concealed; just a row of shophouses without so much as a sign to show the way. That's not to say that the Old Bangkok Inn is out of the way, it is adjacent to Golden Mountain as well as the Metal Palace and just a short ride to infamous Kao San.

At just 8 rooms, it’s as intimate as they come. Interiors avoid an excess of clichéd Thainess, mixing the usual antiques with modern conveniences (like flat screen TV's, DVD's and complimentary PC's with broadband) and muted contemporary colors. The result is charm without being precious, and the overriding floral theme of the rooms is unique. Rooms vary from small to surprisingly large, and all are luxuriously outfitted with big comfortable beds and top-quality handmade linens. Some rooms even come with gardens equipped with your very own fish pool. The teak furnitures are, like the hotel, the private obsession of Nantiya Tulyanond, the former diplomat's wife turned hotelier behind the Old Bangkok Inn. Her vision is that of a private and charming inn for travelers wanting a more bed and breakfast feel, the Inn is definitely in a whole different league from the budget hostels the area is known for.

This is a small, inexpensive boutique hotel, and a very homely one at that, which means it does not provide the same services as, say, the Oriental. But for this price, and in this neighborhood (with all the attractions of Old Bangkok right at hand), it would be churlish to bemoan the absence of a swimming pool or a full-service spa. It’s a new venture, and the prices are still rather low, so it’s quite a value especially if you don't want to be in generic Silom or Sukhumvit. There’s a small coffee shop - which despite its old-fashioned appearance is wi-fi enabled - called the Old Bangkok Tea-room. The Old Bangkok Inn and Tea-room is definitely the ideal starting line for visitors as well as locals wishing to play tourist by spending the day visiting the likes of the Queen's Gallery or the Grand Palace—and there’s a chance the rates won’t stay this low.

For more information please visit: www.oldbangkokinn.com, email: [email protected] or call +662 629-1785-7

glorialf Jul 11th, 2005 06:44 AM

This hotel looks wonderful to me -- would love to hear from someone who has stayed there. I vowed I would never stay anwyere but the Oriental (I tried the Penn once but it wasn't for me) but this hotel may make me.

orgy7 Jul 11th, 2005 07:12 AM

Glolriaf.. you held this litle gem under your hat for too long. the artical thaiexpat posted makes it sound even better..

glorialf Jul 11th, 2005 07:14 AM

orgy7 -- someone posted this article about two weeks ago (can't remember who) and I posted the website last week. I'd love to hear some first hand reports -- the photos on the website aren't "real" ones so it's hard to get a sense but it sure sounds great.

rr229 Jul 11th, 2005 08:42 AM

I posted another thread saying my husband and I wanted to stay in a special place our last 2 days/1 night in Bangkok as it is out 1 year anniversary. We were seriously considering the Four Seasons, but the Old Bangkok Inn looks so cute and authentic. Is it in a good location? Did it just open? What do you guys think I should do? Any comments or thoughts are much apprecited. Thanks!

Bella_Bluebell Jul 11th, 2005 10:44 AM

I like the sound of this but it says on the website that 'NOTE: Current images are for presentation only. They are NOT yet actual.' What does that mean? Are they posed or computer generated?

glorialf Jul 11th, 2005 10:52 AM

I think it means they have not yet taken photos of the actual rooms. But you could email and ask since the owner supposedly is fluent in English.

Guenmai Jul 11th, 2005 11:50 AM

I'll be back in Bangkok next month so I'll check it out for you guys and report back. It's on the same street as the Four Seasons where I stay... Although it sounds interesting, there's absolutely no way I'm giving up my total reservation at the Four Seasons to stay there instead. Maybe I can squeeze in a night, though...to try it out...or... otherwise just drop by the place to check it out. Will send a report at the end of August. And for the person considering it over the Four Seasons...well, I'd either keep the Four Seasons reservation or split your stay between the two.I'm one who prefers high quality/convenience over "cute". Happy Travels!

orgy7 Jul 11th, 2005 08:54 PM

Guenmai they are far from eatchother. four seasens is on Rattchadamri and the old bangkok is on Ratchadamnoem..

Ratchadamnoem is a long wide street/boulivard ( some of it is lined with trees in the middle.. it can be hard too find things on it, since it winds all over the old part of town.. but a good clue that your on the street is that you'll see manhy government bouldings.
-----------
I can see the ..golden temple from my window... should I stay or should I go now..
------
N229 I'd say stick with the four seasens especially if it's your first time too bangkok and your on a limitied time. getting transportation in that part of the city is anoying..
----------

Guenmai Jul 12th, 2005 09:45 AM

Thanks about the street...now that I've reread the original post...it's hit me which street it is.I speed read through these posts. I know that street and ...yes...it's not in a convenient place. But, I'll still try to drop by there and check the place out. Happy Travels!

lcuy Jul 15th, 2005 04:08 PM

My daughter has booked 3 nights here in mid-August. I'll probably stop by when I meet her, so I'll report back!

rr229 Jul 19th, 2005 07:02 PM

After emailing the inn and seeing lovely photos of the inn and decided to forgo the four seasons and go for the old bangkok inn. It is just going to be one night and I want a special and not typical experience. I am going to be staying in a room that has a garden and fish pond!

Hanuman Jul 19th, 2005 07:57 PM

I haven't notice this Inn before but the location is not in the typical tourist or business area of Bangkok. I think this place is a converted shophouse and I sure can't see any picture of the exterior of the Inn on their website. If staying at Inns is your thing then you should try it.

Being next to a garden and pond might sound romantic but in Bangkok that mean mosiquitos and other insect at night. Might want to consider another room on a higher floor?

Next time I'm going past that area I will try and take a look.

rr229 Jul 20th, 2005 09:28 AM

Thanks for the information. I asked about location and they said it is 10 minutes from sky train station by boat and 20-30 minutes by cab. We are going to be in Bangkok at the begining of our trip and I think will be doing the more touristy things then.

Guenmai Jul 20th, 2005 10:06 AM

The Four Seasons is not my definition of a "typical" experience.I agree with Hanuman about bugs and mosquitoes and let's not forget... the infamous gecko! I detest having them...geckos/lizards run around in my room and across the ceiling and falling off into my bed.So, I'm VERY careful when I choose a hotel having traveled so many times in Southeast Asia. Happy Travels!

s_rk Aug 28th, 2005 06:49 PM

rr299 - did you end up staying at the old bangkok inn? i am also looking at a room with a garden and fountain there (lemongrass), but had not considered the mosquito issue. also, how was the location? i'm deciding between obi and a hotel on the BTS Surasak Station (the new Ibrik in the City). Any thoughts?

smeegle Oct 24th, 2005 12:46 AM

We are staying there now, close walk to the golden mountain, museum, and The Grand Palace. The service was great very friendly and helpful.

Photos do not do the rooms justice. Maybe not for everyone, plenty of bland resorts to choose from, but The Old Bangkok Inn has made our stay memorable.

Thanks Joey for Great service

Chris and Andrea

Kippy Oct 24th, 2005 02:18 AM

Smeegle,
It's great to hear that you're really enjoying your stay at The OBI. We're booked in there in a couple of weeks time and I'm so looking forward to it. I think that the area will suit us nicely too. Just wondering if you have found any little gems - restaurants etc. - within the general locality. Also how are you travelling about from there, mainly? We sort of thought we might be using the nearby Klong and the river to get to more downtown places.

glorialf Oct 24th, 2005 05:40 AM

The website for Old Bangkok Inn has really impressed me. I plan to check it out this trip and if it's as lovely as it looks and if the owners are as great as they sound I will divide my time between it and the Oriental next tiem. Anyone that puts charities on a website is my kind of place.

I'm with Smeegle in having no use for bland hotels or resorts -- not matter how deluxe-- so the other new hotels in Bangkok hold no interest. This, however, does.

kuranosuke Oct 24th, 2005 09:25 AM

kippy, you can take the water taxi to the big c, and on down to nana nua stop on suk soi 3, a 5 min. walk to suk, and the nana cultural center. orgy is the curator there. :-)