Hyatt Hakone or Hilton Odawara?

Oct 31st, 2009, 08:01 PM
Original Poster
Hyatt Hakone or Hilton Odawara?

Hello------any thoughts to the better of these two hotels? Looking for a relaxing two night stay and both web sites look great though the Hyatt seems a bit more convenient and less captive...Agree?

Nov 1st, 2009, 02:42 AM
I've stayed at the Hyatt, but not yet at the Hilton. In terms of convenience and "captivity", though, I'm not sure that the Hyatt offers an advantage.

To reach the Hyatt, you need to take the single-track hill train from Odawara to Gora (about 30 mins or so), then the cable car for a couple of stops, then a 5-minute downhill walk to the Hyatt. Not exactly überconvenient.

In terms of captivity, there's next to nothing in the immediate vicinity of the Hyatt. You'd need to go in to Gora if you wanted to eat outside the Hyatt, as I believe you need to head in to Odawara if you wanted to eat outside the Hilton. Odawara has many times more choices than does Gora.

All that said, the Hyatt is a great choice and I'd recommend it to anyone. I'll be able to compare w/Hilton in about a month.
Nov 1st, 2009, 01:24 PM
I am just back from a two night stay at the Hyatt in Gora on points and can echo rizzuto's comments about what a fabulous place the Hyatt is. The forty minute train ride up is enjoyable even with luggage as you wind your way up the scenic mountainside to the resort. You can call the Hyatt while you are on the train and they will meet you with their free shuttle at the Gora station. You can even book a deal that they are offering that will pay a one way taxi ride from Odawara but subject to time limits and price.

All that said the Hyatt is the less convenient and more captive than the Hilton Odawara would be simply by the logistics. The Hilton in located in Odawara, a city with a bullet train station, restaurants(even a Denny's), a castle and lots of other options where as the Hyatt is in the beautiful mountains out in the boonies where there is a different atmosphere altogether. Your choice.

Search this Thread