Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Hue and Daytrip (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/hue-and-daytrip-681176/)

NorthShore Feb 19th, 2007 10:21 AM

Hue and Daytrip

I'm being a bit lazy and have not started serious research. Thought it might be interesting to see what you guys think and then compare to the tour books. What do you consider the must-do's? Also looking for a few off the beaten path things in Hue.

I'll have one day to venture away from the city, but must be back to catch a 0900 flight in the morning. Will be tied up with business most of the days, but should have a couple of afternoons and my evenings free.

It will be late Mar-early April so I'm expecting mostly hot and dry.

crellston Feb 20th, 2007 05:00 AM

IMO the best place to stay in Hue is La Residence a new Art Deco Placewhich was formerly teh french govenors residence. Go for a riverside room, very large with massive balconies.
Restaurants - There is a great little restaurant in Hue called Lac Thien on Dien Tien Hoang St. It is run by a deaf mute family. The food is great and the family so friendly and entertaining. The owner will also take you by motorbike on a tour of the tombs.

The forbidden city is obviously why many go to Hue and it is nice to hire a bike to visit therre and some of the tombs/temples in the countryside. You can always return by boat to the city if you feel like a rest!
As far as the weather is concerned, we were there in January and it was cold and wet and I think it gets a lot of rainfall year round because of its proximity to teh marble Mountains

NorthShore Feb 20th, 2007 08:23 AM

Thanks crellston - I'll try for that hotel.

Just starting to get excited about the trip. The Royal Citadel, Minh Mang Tomb (is this close enough to bike to?), and a boat trip are the only things on my list so far.

Is Hoi An too far away for a daytrip?

MarkvonKramer Feb 20th, 2007 10:13 AM

Have a wonderful trip, NorthShore.

I hope your business is VERY successful. May you make lots of money and you provide many good-paying jobs for U.S. citizens with this venture.

MvK

NorthShore Feb 20th, 2007 08:26 PM

MvK, no profit here. Just helping some poor people get some basic needs met.

brushfire Feb 21st, 2007 12:06 AM

What kind of business are you in Northshore, if you don't mind my asking?

NorthShore Feb 21st, 2007 07:02 PM

brushfire, I'm an event planner. Hoping to retire soon and work for an NGO in Asia.

sallyho Feb 21st, 2007 10:34 PM

Hue to Hoi An took us about 4 hours, but we made quite a few stops on route. It is a beautiful drive, but you would have to leave very early in the AM, as i would not want to be returning on that mountain pass in the dark, yet it can be done, as there is now a tunnel that would save time on the return.

Also If you are staying a Le Residence they do have bikes there.I am sure they can give you distances. You can also take the boat on the purfume river from the hotel. It is a beautiful hotel, but not right in town.

What kind of excursions are you interested in? doing?

NorthShore Feb 22nd, 2007 09:07 PM

Sallyho, I'd like to do a some hikes, bike rides, birding, maybe see the tunnels of Vihn Moc. Not too big on shopping, but folk crafts and village life interest me.

NorthShore Feb 23rd, 2007 06:11 PM

ttt

sallyho Feb 23rd, 2007 09:35 PM

Northshore,
Sorry for my delayed reply, we needed to escape the Seattle gloom so we have been taveling to get some sunshine.

You can bike to the Citadel and forbidden city, along with Thien Mu pagoda and king tu duc tomb. Along with some of the other tombs. The tombs have extensive grounds for hiking around.

We did not visit the Vinh Moc tunnels, but both my son and daughter did and found them extremly interesting. Not the tourist trap of the Cu Chi tunnels. Our son also took a motercycle drive to the DMZ last Oct and found it very interesting experience. He really got off the beaten track and enjoyed the country side.

There is also a hike to some pagodas in the Marble mountains, but I belive that is from the Da Nong area. If you are departing from Da Nang the drive from Hue through the mountains to Lang Co. beach was spectacular. We did not hike but did some short walks on route.

The Cham museum was also interesting.

There is a good central market in hue.

I would recommend a combination of one day with the sights in Hue along with getting out into the countryside.

We had a fantastic guide who loves biking, hiking and is extremly knowagable about the history and culture. He was also alot of fun to be with. He really became our friend.

His name is Phung and if you contact www.anntours.com they could set up something to based on your interests. And make efficent use of your time. We were extremly happy with what they set up for us. I hope this helps.

Sally

NorthShore Feb 24th, 2007 08:47 AM

Hi sallyho

We coming from the Da Nang area to Hue, so I'm looking forward to that ride and a stop at the Cham Museum.

Leaning toward a trip to Vinh Moc tunnels, and a visit to a national park I've seen mentioned in a few places. Couple of short bike trips and boat rides on the river also in the works.

NorthShore Feb 25th, 2007 01:14 PM

Anybody ever try Hoi An as a daytrip?